Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   ABS light-No ASC/No traction lights - RESOLVED (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/abs-light-no-asc-no-traction-lights-resolved-95556/)

vettegood 08-07-2013 01:58 PM

Hey Mr. Feather, yes in theory you can just place new wire.

My left harness had broken wires at the speed sensor connector and I cut the wire stripped back the insulation and inserted the wires back into the connector and epoxyed the connector and the wire and taped with electrical tape and worked just fine.

I suggest once you do place new wire, that you check the resistance of the connector should be 1.5 ohms or less.

If you look on ebay you can find better deals on harness, I found a new one for 45 bucks. The front harness part numbers for my car was LJD3410AA . This info should make it easy for you.
Good Luck and

Happy Motoring...

ArnoldLayne 08-10-2013 07:50 PM

Hmm, I have this problem too now and I'm quite sure it's one of the harnesses.

But the part number seems to be for 2000-2003 and 4.0 only. Does anybody know if thera are other harness variants?

oldmots 08-12-2013 04:16 PM

The front link harness is about $35. Cheapest ABS fix i know.

Originally Posted by Mr. Feathers (Post 787380)
Has anyone created new wiring harnesses, instead of buying royally expensive new one$?

They are just wire, so it should be possible to re-use the connectors & just replace the wire in between... right???

stevepaa 08-16-2013 12:14 PM

light came on while wife was driving. it is out now. comes on rarely.

So i checked on resistances. fronts were 1.14 rears 1.24 no change when wiggling wires at sensor.

what is next?

Jazz Cat 08-25-2013 09:50 PM

Question for those that have found/repaired faulty FRONT harnesses.

Has the fault commonly been right at the "plug connector" that attatches to the front sensor(s) ?

Like in the case of this thread.....

Jazz Cat 09-03-2013 10:21 AM

bump back to the top

oldjaglover 01-21-2024 04:59 PM

I know this thread is 10+ years old. I don't know if you are still an active member.

If you are,maybe you can help me. I have been plagued with ABS system problems for over 2 years that has kept me from passing CA smog rules so I can get my new tags and drive the car legally.

I have had the ABS module and the ECU professionally refurbished. I have had only about 1 month without the "Christmas Tree" in over 2 years.

My next task is to check the continuity of the CAN. Easier said than done for me. I have the tools, and another member gave me a set of schematics that help, but I am not sure I can identify the correct probe points at each and of the CAN wire.

Do you have any tips for me?

Ken

JimmyL 01-22-2024 08:43 AM

Just to Answer

Originally Posted by Jazz Cat (Post 798722)
Question for those that have found/repaired faulty FRONT harnesses.

Has the fault commonly been right at the "plug connector" that attatches to the front sensor(s) ?

Like in the case of this thread.....

Yes, I had this problem, and it was the front right harness and I replaced the connector to fix it. I found the type of connector in a thread on here somewhere, and you can get them pretty cheap.

Y2KJag 01-25-2024 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by oldjaglover (Post 2714467)
I know this thread is 10+ years old. I don't know if you are still an active member.

If you are,maybe you can help me. I have been plagued with ABS system problems for over 2 years that has kept me from passing CA smog rules so I can get my new tags and drive the car legally.

I have had the ABS module and the ECU professionally refurbished. I have had only about 1 month without the "Christmas Tree" in over 2 years.

My next task is to check the continuity of the CAN. Easier said than done for me. I have the tools, and another member gave me a set of schematics that help, but I am not sure I can identify the correct probe points at each and of the CAN wire.

Do you have any tips for me?

Ken

This is a problem where you're going to need a good code scan. Have you scanned, and, if so, what errors did you get?

I kept getting ABS codes, TRAC and ABS messages, etc. One code was module-related, the other for left front speed sensor. After rebuilding the ABS module I still kept getting ABS errors when turning left. The left front speed sensor error was still present. I replaced the LF sensor wire harness and the problems went away.

oldjaglover 01-26-2024 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KJag (Post 2715673)
This is a problem where you're going to need a good code scan. Have you scanned, and, if so, what errors did you get?

I kept getting ABS codes, TRAC and ABS messages, etc. One code was module-related, the other for left front speed sensor. After rebuilding the ABS module I still kept getting ABS errors when turning left. The left front speed sensor error was still present. I replaced the LF sensor wire harness and the problems went away.

I've really gone the rounds with this problem. The constant recurring code that plagues me is P1637. Even a local Jag shop stopped and wanted to sell me a new (rebuilt) ABS module because they said they could not go any further because there was no communication between the ABS module and the ECM. I already knew that. DUH! So, they were no help, hence the refurbishing of both the ABS module and the ECU. Nothing has worked, so I'm left with doing a continuity test of the CAN between the modules. A member has posted up a schematic of the wiring for those two modules, but I haven't been able to get in there are open it up yet....and I'm still not sure how to identify the ends of the two yellow and green wires at the connection points.

Ken

Y2KJag 01-26-2024 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by oldjaglover (Post 2715860)
I've really gone the rounds with this problem. The constant recurring code that plagues me is P1637. Even a local Jag shop stopped and wanted to sell me a new (rebuilt) ABS module because they said they could not go any further because there was no communication between the ABS module and the ECM. I already knew that. DUH! So, they were no help, hence the refurbishing of both the ABS module and the ECU. Nothing has worked, so I'm left with doing a continuity test of the CAN between the modules. A member has posted up a schematic of the wiring for those two modules, but I haven't been able to get in there are open it up yet....and I'm still not sure how to identify the ends of the two yellow and green wires at the connection points.

Ken

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x.../p1637-222604/

This is a VERY lengthy thread from another member with a '97 and his P1637 problems. It's a long read, but very informative. I'd have pushed the car off of a cliff long before, so kudos to him for sticking with it.