Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   center dash vent removal (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/center-dash-vent-removal-6173/)

Hoosier XK8 05-18-2008 10:13 AM

center dash vent removal

How do I remove the center dash vent? Some of the fins have detached themselves from the inside and I want to investigate whether the mounting brackets can be reattached or if it will need to be replaced. I have a 1997 BRG XK8 convertible.

H20boy 05-18-2008 01:20 PM

RE: center dash vent removal

hoosier, I remember reading recently around here, that you can reattach those vents again w/o removing them. If it is the same type of vent as the prior post (cant find it right now), you can make a little hook type tool, and pull the vertical bar back into the vent clips. Give that a try before dismantling your baby.

badmojo 05-18-2008 07:52 PM

I did it before on my XJ6 but can't remember how. I think I just played with it until they snapped back into place.

ibjags 05-18-2008 09:09 PM

you can remove the center vent wood trim and the vent assembly comes out quite easily
good luck
i usually start by pulling the bottom of the wood with a small hook tool "carefully"
2 fasteners at the top and 2 at the bottom

Hoosier XK8 05-19-2008 12:14 PM

The plastic runners that hold the fins in place have become dislodged. ibjags mentioned that once the wood panel is removed that the center vent assembly is easily removed. How is the wood panel held in place and how do I remove it? Are they "push clips" similar to what holds the door panels on? Don't want to damage the wood panel. Thanks.

FactoryJaguarTech 05-21-2008 07:19 PM

The wood just pulls off. The fasteners are just spring clips.

gbdiver 05-21-2008 07:49 PM

Once removed, care to post photos?

ibjags 05-21-2008 08:06 PM

Hoosier XK8

did you get the vent fixed yet

Hoosier XK8 05-22-2008 09:40 AM

I've been out of town on business and haven't had time to attempt removing the wood panel. Hopefully this weekend I should be able to. My Jag has a few items that need attention and hopefully this site might have a few suggestions on how to fix them.

Thanks again

Dlee 04-02-2012 12:52 PM

You guys are right again!!!! I just gently pryed the wood panel up at the bottom and it popped right out. Then the vent pulled right out. Snapped the vents back in the clip and put it back in. 5 minutes. Thanks guys, that was bugging the s@#% out ou me.

Felipe Pr 04-03-2012 07:17 PM

I have the same issue only that the plastic runners that hold the fins in place are not there. Any suggestion as where I can buy a couple?

H20boy 04-04-2012 01:34 PM

I doubt parts get 'that small' for distribution...more than likely, it'll be an entire vent assembly. Try making it, or using another car's vent for parts (maybe a ford?)

GordoCatCar 06-14-2012 10:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The plastic connecting rod was missing on both my horizontal vents so I needed to find another fix.

I used high strength fishing line and cut quarter inch sections of thin tubing to connect the horizontal slats. Think it like threading a large 'bead' [the tubing] in between each of the slats where the OEM plastic piece would clip on .

The thread was looped around the bottom slat through a hole at the end of the slat. This is where the OEM plastic clip fastens. Then thread a quarter inch piece of tubing threaded into the fishing line and thread through the next slat, etc. The top slat was tied off very tightly [using a special surgical knot that only me and my heart surgeon know about].

The tube can be cut on the diagonal or straight across offering the option of having the slats angle up, down or neutral when open. They cannot be fully closed, but there is another vent flap for that.

This procedure could be performed with the vent unit in the car, but it is not that difficult to remove which makes the job much easier.

Considering they were just flopping around and closing off air flow, this fix was pretty good. Even better when I found out the replacement vent cost $170.

H20boy 06-16-2012 04:15 AM

not a bad macgyver solution gordo!

GordoCatCar 06-16-2012 08:24 AM

Thx Matt. If the tubing was thinner, say less than 1/8th inch OD, then the slats would actually be completely functional again on the up and down adjustment.

I used 1/4th inch tubing. As it is, they move up and down through a 30 degree arc; enough adjustment for my needs.

Somebody who like to string beads would have a field day with this fix!

OregonJag 06-16-2012 01:52 PM

Sweet. I've got just the sister in law that can "bead this up" for me. This has been bugging me for a couple of years. Just couldn't bring myself to buy a new one.

Ray Robinson 06-19-2012 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info on the vent repair. My XJ8 has this problem. I will try your reccomendation to remove the panel.

plums 06-19-2012 07:52 PM

If you want smaller tubing, just cut apart the refill from the cheapest ball point pen you can find. An empty one is good if you don't want to deal with the ink :D

Wonder how the bars go completely missing?

GordoCatCar 06-19-2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by plums (Post 531589)
Wonder how the bars go completely missing?

The connecting rods are very thin. IMO the plastic degrades and they just disintegrate. I found pieces of one and it broke apart in my hand. It was very brittle.

DpezXK8 06-19-2012 10:47 PM

Gotta love this site, I was about to ask about removing the center panel because I have to replace a light, and there it is right at the top of the forum :)