Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Condensation in my headlamps (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/condensation-my-headlamps-71940/)

Mexk8 04-20-2012 05:10 PM

Condensation in my headlamps

I have condensation in my XK8 headlamps. I bet there is a cure for this... I have searched but found nothing.

Anyone

tberg 04-20-2012 05:29 PM

I, too, have consistent condensation in my driver's side headlamp but not the passenger side one. Is this related to something in headlamp washing unit?

GGG 04-20-2012 05:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It's a common problem.

There's three TSB's covering the issue:

Attachment 18736
Attachment 18737
Attachment 18738

You can minimise it but never fully cure it.

Graham

Frog 04-21-2012 02:13 AM

I drilled two 8mm holes in the transparent plastic covers on the top of the lights and condensation is no longer an issue.

steveinfrance 04-21-2012 02:45 AM

Having been on intimate cursing terms with the light units while making them dip the wrong way I noticed they were far from watertight -or even splash proof.
Mine had the tee fittings but one kept misting up.
It was the 'access hatch' in the wheel arch which someone had damaged - I replaced that and no more fog.
Incidentally -and I know I do go on about this- a well phrased search via Google will point up relevant posts in this + the UK jaguar forums better than the internal search engine.
Try it with
'jaguar XK headlamp misting' - and guess which forum is on the first line with four solutions!

edtexas 04-21-2012 03:35 AM

Frog, can you please provide a pic of where you drilled the holes?

Thanks, Ed.

cadmium 04-21-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by edtexas (Post 501542)

Thanks, Ed.

+1

Please Frog :)

Jon89 04-21-2012 09:25 AM

I have found that popping off the access hatches and allowing the car to sit in the sunshine for three or four hours with the hood open will evaporate the headlamp condensation. Granted, this is a temporary solution that must be repeated after bouts of rainy or humid weather. You could also run a hair dryer into the open access hatches. My guess is that the hair dryer would make short work of the trapped condensation....

Frog 04-21-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by edtexas (Post 501542)

Thanks, Ed.

Originally Posted by cadmium (Post 501568)
+1

Please Frog :)

Here's a quick pic taken with my iPhone. I don't think the precise location of each hole is that crucial, I just drilled two 8mm holes where I thought there would be some decent airflow.

Obviously, you remove the cover from the car before drilling ;)

http://www.garagetech.fr/xkr/condensation_holes.JPG

edtexas 04-21-2012 12:31 PM

Thanks, Frog! Looks like a simple solution. You're the coolest.

Man, I love this Forum!

Mexk8 04-21-2012 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance (Post 501537)
...search via Google will point up relevant posts in this + the UK jaguar forums better than the internal search engine.
Try it with
'jaguar XK headlamp misting' - and guess which forum is on the first line with four solutions!

Thanks for the tip. I used the search here on the forum and can up empty.

Mexk8 04-21-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Frog (Post 501636)
Here's a quick pic taken with my iPhone. I don't think the precise location of each hole is that crucial, I just drilled two 8mm holes where I thought there would be some decent airflow.

Obviously, you remove the cover from the car before drilling ;)

http://www.garagetech.fr/xkr/condensation_holes.JPG

Dont laugh. How does that cover come off?

steveinfrance 04-22-2012 01:48 AM

You drill two holes in it, thread a bit of string through them and pull.
If that fails squeeze the lower two clips to release the cap.

barkergl 04-22-2012 04:46 AM

I fixed it on my XK8 by drilling just one 6mm hole in the plastic cover. I have been told some dealers do this too.

Stumpy 04-22-2012 07:05 AM

Doesn't drilling holes in the cover let dust and dirt etc. build up inside the headlight?

As recommended on other threads, I have put 50g silica gel packs inside the covers, no drilling, lasts about 3 months then dry out in the oven and re use. I have 2 sets that I alternate.

barkergl 04-23-2012 03:48 AM

Dirt probably will build up in time. I only use my XK8 occasionally for special outings, so it does not pick up much dirt.
You dedication and energy in using the silica gel packs is an example to us all.

GGG 04-23-2012 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Stumpy (Post 501989)
Doesn't drilling holes in the cover let dust and dirt etc. build up inside the headlight?

As recommended on other threads, I have put 50g silica gel packs inside the covers, no drilling, lasts about 3 months then dry out in the oven and re use. I have 2 sets that I alternate.

Where did you source the silica gel packs and how do you attach them?

Graham

Stumpy 04-23-2012 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 502542)
Where did you source the silica gel packs and how do you attach them?

Graham

I bought a 10 x 25g pack from Ebay for about £6 including post.
Made up 4 sets, by cable tying 2 together, and use a bit a self adhesive velcro to attach inside the lamp unit.
When you remove the lamp cover there is a section moulded in the plastic that seems made for it. 2 sets in use, 2 sets dried out ready to fit.
With the velcro it takes about 15 minutes to change over both sides.:icon_biggrin:

xenophobe 04-23-2012 09:33 PM

If you need to get rid of moisture, just pull the covers for a day. Venting the covers doesn't always solve condensation buildup and they do help clear it up, but if it's rainy season, the vent holes don't solve the problem.

H20boy 04-24-2012 01:22 PM

somebody will improve on frog's idea and not only put holes in the cover, but secure a membrane of some sort to trap, but allow air flow. My cover stays open with tilted, one clip on, one just resting as a means of prevention and quick correction on those multiple day rainstorms.