Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Help Guys, Burning Oil (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/help-guys-burning-oil-64610/)

DpezXK8 12-31-2011 12:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I started in on it today and here are some things I found on the passenger side. Didn't quite have enough time to do both today but I did end up replacing the plugs. Bought some Bosch Platinum + and use the recommended gap of .040". They didn't have the NGK's in stock and I wanted to get them chaged.

Results:

hint of oil in 1st well.

Butt-load in the 2nd well, I could barely see the top of the plug and the boot was wet for the first inch.

3rd & 4th were dry

A chip out of the valve cover around the 1st well, and some slight cracks around #2 & #3, pic attached.

Also including pics of the tensioner so maybe some-one could let me know if they're the latest. Looked like a orange plastic body to me with a steel spring but I didn't notice any wear.

DpezXK8 12-31-2011 12:07 AM

I also changed out the plugs on the driver side as that's all I had time for and all were dry except the last which did seem to have a bit of oil in it. I was hoping it was only the passenger side but I guess I'm not that lucky. i tried to take some pics of the plugs but the pictures aren't very focused so you can't really see anything. I did notice a little oil residue above the valve cover in the pocket between the 3rd and 4th fuel rail

test point 12-31-2011 07:11 AM

Yes, those are the plastic tensioners!

You cannot see the condition of the body without removing them. You really weren't considering NOT changing them were you?

The Coupe 12-31-2011 09:12 AM

Test Point is right...you CANNOT see the damage on your tensioners until you take them off. I know (and many others know as well) from first-hand experience.

You've got to get them replaced...now...and with the cam covers already off, your job is nearly half done already.

Steve8 12-31-2011 09:46 AM

+1 on changing tensioners, I just replaced mine and echo what's said above, you're half-way there already. Yours are the first generation and they've put in some good service on your car, but you'll be ahead of the game if you replace them right away.

On the oil in the plug wells, your picture of the cam cover doesn't appear to show the o-rings - did you remove them when pulling off the cover? The cracks and chip in the cover wouldn't matter near as much as not having any o-rings installed.

Steve

test point 12-31-2011 10:10 AM

". . . with a steel spring . . ." defines a second generation tensioner, so they have been changed, but the plastic is still the same.

Steve8 12-31-2011 10:26 AM

Ah, I stand corrected, but the sentiment remains - change them! (smile)

DpezXK8 12-31-2011 12:52 PM

Thanks Guys, I have to order the new ones. I guess I'll wait till they come in before doing the drivers side. Oh, and I did remove the o-rings before I took the pic to show the cracks. Good to know I don't have to get new covers. Any reccomendations on the tensioners as far as where to get them from?

Steve8 12-31-2011 01:32 PM

Didn't mean to mislead on the covers. If you did have the o-rings installed, and you got so much oil in the wells, then you need to take a closer look at the reason. And that reason may be the cracks. Still, I'd guess you had enough surface bearing on the o-rings to make a seal if the cover was properly applied.

If you're ordering parts, you might consider a new cover too.

The Coupe 12-31-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DpezXK8 (Post 448060)
Thanks Guys, I have to order the new ones. I guess I'll wait till they come in before doing the drivers side. Oh, and I did remove the o-rings before I took the pic to show the cracks. Good to know I don't have to get new covers. Any reccomendations on the tensioners as far as where to get them from?

Yes-

The best thing to do is buy the Ford equivalent tensioners, which are identical to the Jag tensioners in all aspects except with a significantly lower price. The same tensioners were used in a Lincoln engine. Here are your FORD part numbers:

Ford PN 2W9Z6K254BA Right Secondary metal bodied Tensioner (1 required)

Ford PN 2W9Z6K254CA Left Secondary metal bodied Tensioner (1 required)

Ford PN W500301S300 Bolt (4 required - YOU MUST USE THESE NEW, SLIGHTLY SHORTER BOLTS)

I purchased mine from www.sunroadfordparts.com, and got great prices. Don't forget to order replacement cam cover gaskets and o-rings as well.

Paul Pavlik 12-31-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Coupe (Post 448075)
Yes-

The best thing to do is buy the Ford equivalent tensioners, which are identical to the Jag tensioners in all aspects except with a significantly lower price. The same tensioners were used in a Lincoln engine. Here are your FORD part numbers:

Ford PN 2W9Z6K254BA Right Secondary metal bodied Tensioner (1 required)

Ford PN 2W9Z6K254CA Left Secondary metal bodied Tensioner (1 required)

Ford PN W500301S300 Bolt (4 required - YOU MUST USE THESE NEW, SLIGHTLY SHORTER BOLTS)

I purchased mine from www.sunroadfordparts.com, and got great prices. Don't forget to order replacement cam cover gaskets and o-rings as well.

Also, remember, the gaskets that are available from Ford (Or FelPro) are NOT the correct ones for a 1997 Jaguar (AJ26 Engine).

The Ford & FelPro gaskets are used on the 1999 and up XK8s (AJ27 Engine).

You can order the Gaskets from Jaguar or other Sources.

DpezXK8 12-31-2011 02:54 PM

Yeah I kringed a little when I saw the plastic, and thanks for the quick response on the part#'s, I'll get them ordered. I am surprised at jaguar though, they told me I had the latest tensioners. But then again I would expect they could do the gaskets properly.

I did replace the gaskets with new ones on the passeneger side and I already have the gaskets for the driverside. I'll wait until the tensioners come in to do anything else.

If I see oil in the well on the passenger-side when I do the tensioners then I'll have to get the covers too. Gotta love that old plastic.

jaguarparts has the covers for about $150.00 each.

DpezXK8 01-04-2012 05:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the tensioners in and finished the passenger side today. Forgot the camera but took some pics of the old tensioner when I got home. Really Really glad I listened to you guys and didn't get lazy about changing them out:icon_beerchug:
You'll see what I mean by the pics. Yep, you really can't tell how screwed up they are till you get them out.

The one side of the tensioner is completely missing the plastic but I guess it couldn't extend far enough damage the chain thankfully. I inspected the chain after I saw it and didn't see any wear. I did find a small piece of plastic wedged between the timing cover but didn't find any more than that. Must of got chewed up or fell to the bottom of the timing cover.

Guess I'm one of the luckly ones so far:icon_rolleyes:. Knock on wood dash, cross fingers, etc.

I'll tear apart the drivers side tomorrow and let you know how that goes.

The Coupe 01-04-2012 05:43 PM

Most of the missing plastic is in your oil sump, probably in the screen of the oil pickup pipe.

Ask me how I know!

I bought a new oil pan gasket, removed the pan and oil pickup pipe, and was amazed by how much plastic was in there, blocking oil flow.

My reccomendation is that you do the same.

Have a look at this thread for photos of what I'm talking about (pics are in the original post): A bomb, defused.

DpezXK8 01-04-2012 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info Coupe, I will definately check that. Looks like it's time to do a premature oil change. Already have the filter but I'll have to get a gasket. Wonder what I'll find now when I do the driver's side in the morning.

I know not much time has passed, but since I changed the gasket on Friday my oil level hasn't dropped at all. Last week I checked every morning and the oil was down a little from the previous days driving.

Also I didn't find any new oil in the plug wells so hopefully I don't have to get new covers. I check that in about a month after I'm done with this fix.

H20boy 01-05-2012 01:59 PM

looking good so far Dpez!

EZDriver 01-05-2012 04:48 PM

Go to my post on replacing tensioners. I used the tie wrap method and lifted the exhaust cam to get them out and new ones in.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ics-faq-52653/

EZDriver

DpezXK8 01-05-2012 10:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
All done with the tensioners, and there was much rejoicing, yeah. Included a couple of picts for those interested. Diver side was in better shape but still had a crack starting in the body. Also the o-ring on plug 3 was a little messed up.

I was able to do the drivers side without rotating the dipstick tube. Firgured I give it a shot since I couldn't even see the bolt to loosen the tube and didn't need to.

I did Use the zip-tie method and it worked great.

Also I re-worked the 40mm lg screws that were in the car as I couldn't find the 35mm lg locally. Worked fine, just ground them down to 35mm and put through new tensioners to confirm there was enough thread. So if you have to change them and your in a pinch, now you know.

Only thing left is to find the rest of the plastic from pass-side tensioner. Waiting for the gasket which should arrive Monday.

I guess now it's time to add my name to the tensioner upgrade list and call this done.

In regard to loosing oil and apparently not burning it, well at least not through the engine. I'll have to give an update a little later once I see if it's fixed. If not I guess I'll have to get new valve covers to correct the leaking. So far oil seems to have stopped disappearing.

Matt, glad you love the lug nuts. They can handle the impact wrenches but I'm sure they appreciate the TLC. I made my set plain so you're the only one with the Mach 5 version. Figured they work for you, now you have your own monogrammed jag.

Thanks again for all the help and consious guiding guys. Now mine lives to drive another day and I can sleep a little better.

The Coupe 01-06-2012 07:11 AM

Nice work...feels good to have that one taken care of, doesn't it?

H20boy 01-06-2012 01:56 PM

Yay! Don't be a stranger, look at all the fun you'll miss around here :)