Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Help Guys, Burning Oil (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/help-guys-burning-oil-64610/)

DpezXK8 02-04-2012 12:14 AM

Results of compression tests

OK, got the new valve covers in and was pleasantly suprised that they came with gaskets installed and new screws, drivers even has the red oil cap. Guess I should have just bought the valve covers to begin with and saved some money. Took some pics of the covers, but left the camera at the shop so I'll post those later. That way you guys will know what to expect in the future.

Compression results:

Driver Pass
124 125
125 126
125 129
125 90 "ouch"

This was a dry test, I wasn't able to perform a wet because I couldn't find a syringe I had for when I need to squirt stuff. Looks like I have an issue with #4Pass as I tested that one multiple times with the same results. Took me while to do because I was running a job in the CNC while working on the car. The car had actually cooled down by the time I got to the drivers side so those values may actually be a little higher, that is if the values change from warm to cold.

The way I tested was remove fuel pump fuse from rear boot.
Start car and let run a few seconds till it died, so all fuel out of system.
Removed coil covers, coils and sparks from each side.
Installed compression gauge in first cylinder passenger.
Turned key to cycle engine a couple times and took reading.
Moved to next cylinder and repeated, etc, etc.

Pretty happy with the compression readings on car with this many miles.
A little disapointed with #4 pass. Wonder if that happened when the plastic seperated from the 2nd gen tensioner.

Change the passenger side cover and all went well but I think I may need a new chain for the passenger upper. It almost seems like the chain isn't tight to the upper side of the tensioner. The top side of the tensioner is fixed and the bottom extends, it almost seems like the top side ins't tall enough to touch when the chain is taught. Chain stretch? or is this normal with the new tensioners. I did a visual inspection on the chain and didn't see any wear, actually looks really good, but I also didn't see the damage to the tensioners.

I did add a can of engine restore after I finished everything so I will take another compression test in a few weeks to see if there is any difference. Maybe it will help with the #4 cylinder. I'll do a wet test the next time to see what the values are.

Still have to do the driver's side and will take a closer look at chain/tensioner on that side to see if its the same as the passenger.

Any suggestions about #4 or just let sleeping dogs lie? V7&3/4's
Car does have a deeper sound than before:icon_shrug::icon_shrug:

A last minute DOH though. Put everyhting back, started car and it died. Started again and check enginge, enigne fault, poor performance came on. Ran a little rough for a few seconds then ran fine. Wasn't sure if it was because I added the restore or what. Thought a little bit and realized I forgot to plug the MAF back in on the air box. Yep that would do it, plugged in and restarted, engine fault gone but check engine stayed on so I guess I'll have to drive a bit before it clears. Always a good way to scare yourself, like watching your XK flash b4 your eyes.

direng 02-04-2012 01:06 AM

Good work everyone.

Looks like it's all coming together.

Gus 02-04-2012 08:15 AM

So pleased that you got it up and running, kudos to you. Your #4 cylinder compression is questionable but could be functional with your adding the “Restore” to the oil. I used it in my Rav4 that had 266,000mi on it and the car showed a remarkable recovery in performance and I hope it does for you. A Nikasil engine block is a bread of its own and understanding it is the key to having a great engine.

DpezXK8 02-04-2012 01:36 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Pics as promised and some more info.

My engine was swapped around 40K, so no nikasil here.

I wanted to switch out the drivers side cover today. Removed the old cover, took some pics of the new. Went to install and realized I had an extra hole in the cover, whoops. Checked out the tensioner while I had the cover off and put the old cover back on.

Guess I have to call Jaguar Monday. I take it the later models had an extra hose, cap or something located in the tensioner area. They had my VIN so not sure what happened there, but always look before you leap.

Also there was a bolt missing in both covers, top bolt by cylinder 4. Maybe there was a special bolt that held a hose or something, either way not supplied. I had some 6mm bolts so when I did the passenger I used one of those.

The new seals are black rubber on both covers and only have a single raised rib compared to the original silicone double seals.

The drivers side tensioner is opposite of the passenger in that it tensions the top side, whereas the passenger tensions the down side. I reached down and yes the lower part of the chain has a little slack and is not taught to the pad.

One thing I forgot to mention; when I did the compression test I pushed the pedal to the floor when I turned the key so throttle was open. I saw when people mentioned blocking it open but I thought that would work just as well. Besides when you turn the key the throttle body normally flutters so I don't know if blocking it open would be advisable.

Here's the pics

Paul Pavlik 02-04-2012 05:11 PM

"I wanted to switch out the drivers side cover today. Removed the old cover, took some pics of the new. Went to install and realized I had an extra hole in the cover, whoops. Checked out the tensioner while I had the cover off and put the old cover back on.

Guess I have to call Jaguar Monday. I take it the later models had an extra hose, cap or something located in the tensioner area. They had my VIN so not sure what happened there, but always look before you leap."

The Hole in your new Driver's Side Cover is the VVT Solenoid Connection for a AJ27 Engine (used in 1999 to 2002 XK8s).

You have a AJ26 Engine which has the VVT connection on the Front Cover.

FWIW, a XKR Cam Cover (For a AJ26 or AJ27 Engine) does not have a hole in it (No VVTs in a XKR)

Cam Cover Gaskets are NOT the same for a AJ26 and AJ27 Engine.

The Cover with the Hole in it is not the correct one for your Engine.

DpezXK8 02-04-2012 10:25 PM

Thanks Paul, but I figured that. That's why I put the old cover back on.
Didn't care for the idea of having a big hole right over the tensioners:).

I'll call them Monday and get it straightened out.

DpezXK8 02-06-2012 06:55 PM

Update on the cover Issue

2 Attachment(s)
Talked to Jaguar today and after a long conversation and them not being able to get the proper cover which is a AJ83272, I have decided to make this one work. The parts guy was doing his best to be helpful and said that the UK would be expecting them in in a month or so. He also said it sounded a little shady to him meaning everytime the call to check the status the part gets moved out further.

They sent me part #'s C2A1515 passenger and C2A1514 driver. The C2A1515 is the correct replacement for the passenger.

I've attached a pic of my solution for the extra hole. I made a plug with a internal taper to grip the inside of the rubber seal. I will also apply a gasket adhesive/sealer to help hold in place.

By the way, great info Paul, used it when talking with Jaguar Parts guy.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...-coverplug-jpg

H20boy 02-07-2012 09:32 AM

hey, nice plug :) Very ingenious.

DpezXK8 02-07-2012 10:45 PM

Thanks Matt, you know me, can't resist engraving. Plus I figured I'd put the message on there in case someone else works on it. Not that it'll ever happen:)

plums 02-07-2012 11:39 PM

" ... having access to a machine shop and knowing how to use it ... priceless"