Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Motorola T605 installation and a few questions (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/motorola-t605-installation-few-questions-61730/)

Bills 10-05-2011 07:38 PM

Motorola T605 installation and a few questions

4 Attachment(s)
Just put in a T605 for blue tooth through the radio. Not very hard after I figured out the pins on the connector. I have a 2004 with the 18 pin yellow connector.
pin 4 is battery
pin 5 key power
pin 6 is mute
pin 7 is audio +
pin 8 is audio -
As with everyone else the Orange and yellow wires are miss labeled in the installation instructions.
A nice feature of the Jaguar is that the radio does not have to be on for the phone blue tooth to work through the speaker.
So, can anyone tell me what the latest set up for auxiliary input is? I would prefer to do something non destructive to the CD player.
And, where can I find a male connector that matches the Jaguar phone plug?
Here are a few pictures of the install.

Attachment 169244

Attachment 169245

Attachment 169246

Attachment 169247

Reverend Sam 10-05-2011 11:30 PM

P.I.E makes a device that will allow you to tie the T605 into the audio system. Here's a link:

XM Satellite Radio at MyRadioStore - AUX Audio Input Adapters - Aftermarket Stereos - Alpine - PIE Alpine AI-Net Aux-Input Switcher ALP/AI-AUX

I assume you have the premium audio. The P.I.E. unit will install in the trunk behind the CD changer. You'll unplug the little round connector on the back of the CD changer and plug it into the P.I.E unit, then you'll plug the cable that comes out of the PIE unit into the CD changer. You'll need to run audio cable from the T605 back to the trunk. That's easier than it sounds. I'll try to post a video in the next day or two which shows how to do it. You might have to remind me. Send me a PM if I don't do it tomorrow or Saturday.

Reverend Sam 10-05-2011 11:32 PM

By the way, I installed one of those Motorola T605 units, too. I love it. I wish I could dim the LEDs on it, though. They are too bright at night.

pomosv 10-05-2011 11:37 PM

Bills, do you have any closeups of your wheels? What kind are they?

Crispy 10-06-2011 01:22 AM

Same setup here. Wanting to make it easy, I ordered a harness kit from installer.com, but unfortunately the connector was for the non-premium ICE 14-pin connector. I contacted them and asked if they could make an 18-pin male connector with pigtails to connect the t-605 harness directly. They could not. I'm planning on just splicing in using t-taps. We'll see how that goes when I get them in. If you find a male connector someplace, let me know! I'm hooking the aux audio in using a KCA-410c in the trunk that I got off ebay.

WhiteXKR 10-06-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 413497)
P.I.E makes a device that will allow you to tie the T605 into the audio system. Here's a link:

XM Satellite Radio at MyRadioStore - AUX Audio Input Adapters - Aftermarket Stereos - Alpine - PIE Alpine AI-Net Aux-Input Switcher ALP/AI-AUX

I assume you have the premium audio. The P.I.E. unit will install in the trunk behind the CD changer. You'll unplug the little round connector on the back of the CD changer and plug it into the P.I.E unit, then you'll plug the cable that comes out of the PIE unit into the CD changer. You'll need to run audio cable from the T605 back to the trunk. That's easier than it sounds. I'll try to post a video in the next day or two which shows how to do it. You might have to remind me. Send me a PM if I don't do it tomorrow or Saturday.

This thread has instructions on how to modify the PIE unit if you have standard audio:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e2/#post348215

Unfortunately the picture hosting has been lost (dsetter's post, page 2) :icon_doh:.

If dsetter is still monitoring this...can you rehost your pictures please? This is a really important thread to a lot of people. If you cannot, send them to me and I can host them.

Bills 10-06-2011 06:16 PM

Hi Sam
I was looking a the P.I.E switcher. the instructions imply that the cable must be plugged into the head unit. Does the cable work both ways?

WhiteXKR 10-06-2011 06:49 PM

Bill- The PIE switcher will not work in a car with standard audio without modification.

Check if you have have an amplifier over your CD changer behind the carpet. If you do not, that is standard audio.

Bills 10-06-2011 09:06 PM

Hey White
have the premium audio with amp. I am concerned about the installation of this switcher as it looks like cabling requires that it be plugged into the head unit. I don't really want to take apart my dash.

WhiteXKR 10-06-2011 09:14 PM

Hmmm...you have premium audio but no nav. I have not run into that combination before.

Try it between the CD changer and the amp in the trunk. If it works you are set.

If it does not work you likely will need to still do the signal reversal inside the PIE unit in the thread I referenced earlier, assuming you know how to solder.

Bills 10-06-2011 09:42 PM

Does the changer go to the amp through the alp/net cable? I know there is a alp/net cable on the amp. If it does then the problem is solved. I can solder, so rewiring the switch would be the other solution.

WhiteXKR 10-06-2011 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bills (Post 413887)
Does the changer go to the amp through the alp/net cable? I know there is a alp/net cable on the amp. If it does then the problem is solved. I can solder, so rewiring the switch would be the other solution.

Yes. Try it first before you make the mod though.

Looks like the pictures are back in that other link...you should be all set.

One thing to be aware of also, your source may need to br cranked way up to trigger the PIE box. With some sources you may also need a PAC LD-10 pre-amp if you get drop outs on soft music.

Thisch 12-28-2011 08:55 AM

I thought I had it correct though...

Hi Bills,

I did the install, but I faced two problems:
1/ the oem mic does not work, and I wonder why it wold be a diffence impedence
2/ when in-call, nothing happened. I mean no sound gets out of the audio system, the music won t mute, etc

I switched yellow/ orange, but without any succes.
I re connected he ACP to the hone, re switched the handset (M8989), but to no avail.

Any suggestion?

In parrallele, I wanted to do the same ipod install i did in my vette, so I hacked the Ai net cable to fool the headunit, and it works prety well. Instead of butchering the cd changer , i bought a ai net extension cable, cut it inthe middle, and routed the three audio cable to a convenient relay. Teh relay act as a switch to chose from the regular source to the cd changer. Funny enough, the ipod play instead of the radio... Which seems to be usual for non premium sound systems. I putthe switch and the craddle in the ashtray, and I have all sources handy..

Thisch 12-28-2011 09:02 AM

Hi Reveren Sam,
First of all thanks for your video. The hummingbird is just great!
Which onstallation process did you follow for the t605?
As i said, I am at my wit's end!
I must jave made something errrr stupid, but I cant figure out what. My 2004 xk is fitted with the same 14 pins as Bills'. I cant understand why the head unit won' t mute, even though I switched yellow/ orange.

Thanks in advance for your help.

WhiteXKR 12-28-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thisch (Post 446503)
Hi Reveren Sam,
First of all thanks for your video. The hummingbird is just great!
Which onstallation process did you follow for the t605?
As i said, I am at my wit's end!
I must jave made something errrr stupid, but I cant figure out what. My 2004 xk is fitted with the same 14 pins as Bills'. I cant understand why the head unit won' t mute, even though I switched yellow/ orange.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I assume you mean an 18 pin connector in a 2004, not a 14 pin connector.

Are your sure you are counting the pins correctly? Are you referencing the numbers embossed on the conenctor? Double check the colors match on the Jaguar's harness:
pin 4 is battery Brown-red
pin 5 key power Green or Red/White
pin 6 is mute BLUE
pin 7 is audio + BLUE
pin 8 is audio - BLUE-YELLOW
pin 11 is ground BLACK
pin 1 is Mic + White
pin 3 is Mic - Green
Pin 2 is mic shield

Thisch 12-30-2011 03:12 AM

18 pins indeed

you re right sorry. Shame on me!

My harness is as follow as per little small tiny numbers on the connector
pin 4 is battery Brown-red
pin 5 key Is empty
pin 6 is mute Blue Ignition
pin 7 is audio + BLUE
pin 8 is audio - BLUE-
PHP Code:

YELLOW
Pin 9 is blue
/yellow supposed acp
Pin 10 is green
/yellowsupposed acp
pin 11 is ground BLACK
Pin 16 is red
/whitesupposed mute
pin 1 is Mic 
White 

pin 3 is Mic - Green
Pin 2 is mic shield yellow

I think i solved the mic issue. The oem mic impedence is 100 ohm or so above the t608's. However, that should relust in higher level and therefore work fine, if i m not mistaken.

Still no sound through the radio, but the motorola speaker works.

Still searching, ideas welcome..

Seasons greetings to all

Bills 12-30-2011 09:52 AM

Hi Thisch
I'm betting your problem is a crossed wire. I will look at my installation later. I believe that the microphone only exists if your car came with the jag phone installed. Once I got everything worked out the device works great.
Bill

Thisch 12-31-2011 06:59 AM

You were right, Bills. 5 and 6 were crossed. 1 fuse and a couple of solderings later, the mute works fine, but still no audio in the headunit, and nothing from the oem mic.
Tomorrow I'll test the mic, and for the audio, i ll try to hook 7 and 8 to the peaker output of the t605, by mere curiosity.

Reverend Sam 12-31-2011 10:30 AM

For what it's worth, I wish I had installed a switch to turn off the T605 when I didn't want to use it. It stays on all the time, and if I turn off the bluetooth on my phone the bright light in the middle of the T605 continuously flashes between red and blue. At night it's very distracting. There is no way to stop the flashing or dim the light.

Beav 12-31-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 447993)
... it's very distracting. There is no way to stop the flashing or dim the light.

Agreed.

Have you considered a magic marker? A little at a time dims it quite nicely...