Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Nikasil What is it and How to Identify it! FAQ (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/nikasil-what-how-identify-faq-25912/)

Mish_Mish 02-28-2011 08:21 PM

I have 69K on mine, so I suppose it is nothing to worry about.
I did put about 500 miles since I bought it and it seems to hold freshly changed oil at the same level.
There is some oily residue in the intake, past the bbreather, however throttle body is dry and not too dirty for any normal engine.

EZDriver 03-01-2011 09:51 AM

Car is 2000 XK8 rag top made in the early part of that year. It has 40,000 miles on it and is almost perfect with a new set of XKR wheels put on by the previous owner. Really cool.

But the oil comsumption has me concerned. When I drive it I be sure it reaches good operating temperature and run it for at least 30 minutes. Following that a check of the oil level the next morning reveals a reduction that is measureable. The oil was changed by the previous owner, Mobil 1, at 37,000 miles. I have added a quart just recently. Also the oil seems to be slightly dirty for only 3,000 miles. My present plan is to change oil now and have a sample tested. The tensioners have not been done and I am reluctant to drive it much until that is done.

Thanks for all that responded.

EZDriver 2000 XK8 1995 XJ6

EZDriver 03-02-2011 12:07 PM

Have 40,000 miles on car.

Just checled again oil consumption. I was using the dip stick and noting the change in level after rather short trips, 20 to 30 minutes. Not a good method. Have found dip stick indication can vary by 1/8 of an inch. I think this depends on where the engine stops. So......I don't believe I have an abnormal oil consumption. Will change the oil soon and this time I will remove and clean the oil pan (I think???). I don't believe the previous owner ever completely drained the oil. Then I am going to launch into changing the upper cam tensioners and start driving the car.

Thanks guys for all your input. Helps a lot.

Spurlee 03-02-2011 03:51 PM

"Engine number on V8 is under the black plastic cover, stamped on the top of the block to the right hand side of the front of the engine, near the lifting bracket."

Is that the timing chain cover, the cam cover or the vanity cover with "Jaguar" on it? Passenger side, right?

Thanks

RCSign 03-02-2011 04:27 PM

As quoted by EZDRIVER

Just checled again oil consumption. I was using the dip stick and noting the change in level after rather short trips, 20 to 30 minutes. Not a good method. Have found dip stick indication can vary by 1/8 of an inch. I think this depends on where the engine stops. So......I don't believe I have an abnormal oil consumption. Will change the oil soon and this time I will remove and clean the oil pan (I think???). I don't believe the previous owner ever completely drained the oil. Then I am going to launch into changing the upper cam tensioners and start driving the car.
If your checking your oil cold, before leaving, most oil has drain from the engine into the pan. Then checking the dipstick after the car has warmed up may indicated a slight reduction as all oil has not drained from the engine.
Doug
2001 Silverstone

Gus 03-02-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by EZDriver (Post 312746)
Thanks Gus for the great work on researching the Nikasil problem. I have also done a lot of reading on this subject. The concept is great in the lab or under ideal conditions. But we don't operate under those conditions. Very unhapy with Jaguar foe not doing more testing in the real world. This always frustrates me as and old flight test egineer. You always test in the environment the item will be used in.

Like you and just about everyone else that bought one of these cars (about 56,000 of them) I have a problem. I don't like to trade cars a lot. I always plan on keeping them a long time. Kept my 240Z for 18 years. My problem is do I refine the engine by fixing all the other problems and have the Nakasil problem bite me with a huge repair cost the I am studk with or sell the car now, replace the engine with a 4.2, or just pray.

I will do a compression test soon and see how that comes out. But I think my oil consumption is high. Have only put 3,000 miles on the car since purchased last summer and it used one quart of oil on a trip. With normal driving now it seems to be using more. It starts great and runs great. Checked the air filter area and it was like new. Will check it again soon.

One additional question. Will a 4.2 fit in my 2000 XK8?

Thanks Gus. Without guys like you it would be very rough.

EZ,

Sorry for my not getting back with you sooner but had a family emergency and was out of town for a few days. Nikasil, a good topic. If you have a Nilasil engine and the car is running well but burning oil the first thing I would do is move up in the viscosity of the oil that is assuming that you are using 5w-30w oil. If you are using 10w-30w and it is still consuming oil then I would add “Restore” oil additive and see how it goes. Nikasil is a durable product and chances are it is not the cylinder walls that you have a problem with. You could have other issues like valve guides/seals or like I said earlier the 5w-30w oil that was recommended when the car was new is not suitable for the car now..

Mish_Mish 03-02-2011 08:58 PM

My XJS has some oil smoke first few minutes when cold, I know it is old valve seals, however oil level stays the same for years. Since I put so little miles on it annually.

I doubt that my XKR has much of an issue, but can someone tell me what would be good compression reading for supercharged engine?

lorwood 03-04-2011 09:45 AM

How many miles would have to be on the car before the lining started to fail? The reason I ask is because one of the cars I am looking at is a 97 with only 14K on the clock. Its been on the east coast its whole life but has only had 2K put on it since 07! Since I am asking: Whatever car I buy it will be a strictly Sunday Summer toy. Based on my past history with these toys I will put about 1K a year on the car. If I made a deal on the 97 with 14K I would have to do the water pump/thermostat/tensioners/Timing chain guide. I would do the water pump/thermostat immediately, is there any reason why the tensioners and guides could not wait a year? Its all about the budget. Thanks!

EZDriver 03-04-2011 11:06 AM

I think I have replied already but here it is again. I have 40000 miles and it runs perfect and starts perfect. I am concerned about oil comsumption though. My plan is to replace the upper tensioners right away and at that time with the cam covers off I will boroscope the cylinders and check compression. If I can rig it I will use my aircraft compression tester which is a blow-by method. I'll let everyone know what the results are. If every thing looks good and summer driving shows good results I will go back in and do the rest of the chain work plus the water pump and thermostat housing plus the belt and maybe the convertible top oil. But all that will wait until after the season.

Thanks guys for all the hep.

xenophobe 03-04-2011 01:37 PM

143k miles on my engine... no puffs of oil smoke.

RCSign 03-04-2011 04:18 PM

As quoted by LORWOOD

How many miles would have to be on the car before the lining started to fail?
The failure of the lining would depend on so many variables exposure to sulfur, maintenance, etc.. Most people believe that the Nikasil is superior to steel. More than likely if it's made this far you will probably be OK
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Skid Mark 03-04-2011 05:23 PM

Fyi

My XK8 is a January 2000 manufacture date w/origional Nikasil engine and has 113,000 miles on it. Burns a quart and a half of oil every 3,000 miles, no smoking at any time, and runs great.

RCSign 03-04-2011 08:28 PM

My XKR has 80,000 miles with a manu. date 07/00 and uses about a half quart every 4,000 miles, the amount I put on in a year. Then I change the oil every year. I don't consider a half a quart per 4,000 much oil consumption.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Reverend Sam 03-04-2011 10:28 PM

I concur with what RCSign said. Nikasil is is incredibly hard and durable, that's why it has been used for cylinder liners since the early 1970s. Porsche still uses it for the 911. The main problem was with high-sulfur fuel. Today's fuel has very low sulfur. If the car is running fine today, I doubt Nikasil will ever be an issue unless you happen to drive the car to a third world country. In fact, Nikasil is probably an advantage.

Gus 03-05-2011 06:19 AM

I have a lot of information on my page relating to Nikasil and this is a link to help better understand the issue that seem to come up in conversation http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNikasilSulfur.htm I hope this helps!

brgjag 03-05-2011 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by lorwood (Post 314935)
How many miles would have to be on the car before the lining started to fail? The reason I ask is because one of the cars I am looking at is a 97 with only 14K on the clock. Its been on the east coast its whole life but has only had 2K put on it since 07! Since I am asking: Whatever car I buy it will be a strictly Sunday Summer toy. Based on my past history with these toys I will put about 1K a year on the car. If I made a deal on the 97 with 14K I would have to do the water pump/thermostat/tensioners/Timing chain guide. I would do the water pump/thermostat immediately, is there any reason why the tensioners and guides could not wait a year? Its all about the budget. Thanks!

Sounds like a GREAT car but sitting around all that time I would be concerned about the timing tensioners and chains stuff that go south on that year specially. Sure the miles are low but its been around so much the plastic in the KEY components could be weak, dry, brittle. You start driving it alittle and you could have problems. Mine had 70k when they went south. Lucky for me I knew when the clattle at startup happened the timing chain was loose, a tensioner had broke, i'd better not start it up after that. If it goes when the car is at speed you may lose the motor, you don't want that.

lorwood 03-05-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by brgjag (Post 315544)
Sounds like a GREAT car but sitting around all that time I would be concerned about the timing tensioners and chains stuff that go south on that year specially. Sure the miles are low but its been around so much the plastic in the KEY components could be weak, dry, brittle. You start driving it alittle and you could have problems. Mine had 70k when they went south. Lucky for me I knew when the clattle at startup happened the timing chain was loose, a tensioner had broke, i'd better not start it up after that. If it goes when the car is at speed you may lose the motor, you don't want that.

exactly what I was thinking. I passed on the car. Bought a 03 XK8 with 37K on the clock today. Paid just a little more but who needs the headaches?

Paintxpert 07-09-2011 10:49 AM

Nickosil motor

I have a 1997 Coupe Xk8.....I change the oil every year and drive it less than 500 miles per year as I have five cars. I use a high detergent fuel such as SHELL 93 octane only. I use SYNTHETIC oil ONLY. My car uses NO oil in betweeen changes. I wish I could use it more but with five cars, I use it in a revolving effort. I did the TOP tensioners only as I did the valve cover gaskets at the same time. There was LESS than a quarter inch of slack in the right side but the other chains were very tight. I have a book written by Nigel Thorley that stated the top tensioners were mostly the culprit in engine damage. It would not be a problem to do just the TOP. I will take my chances I guess. I have 80,000 miles on the car. Comments welcome! I have some mechanics giving me SCARE tactics because they want my 2500 bucks. Car runs a bit rough when cold but clears right up when warm. I have had no problems THANK GOD!!!! These cars can put you in the poor house in short order if something major breaks Im sure. "Paintxpert"

Gus 07-09-2011 04:03 PM

What exactly are you concerned with? I have a 1999 xk8 with 120,000mi on it and we drive every day. I tell my wife to tell me when things do not seem right and now she is better than me on the little noises it makes. As for the engine hesitation add a can of BG 44K add it to the fuel and drive the car. You may need to clean the TB.

You listed this in the Nikasil post, what are you concerned with?

xenophobe 07-09-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Paintxpert (Post 375378)
My car uses NO oil in betweeen changes.

That's because you don't drive it. Every vehicle with an engine that uses oil burns a little of it up. That's unavoidable.