Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Rethinking my XK8. Some of you will be pleased! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/rethinking-my-xk8-some-you-will-pleased-101619/)

RCSign 08-31-2013 04:00 PM

Phil
"You have seen the light of the Jaguar Gods, You lost the Leaper and the Glands on the hood". The Car looks beautiful. The new color wheels will really accent it overall. Lose the leaper on the deck lid and you'll have it right. Finish off the hood with an XKR's, Mina does have some nice hood grills.

Jag#4 08-31-2013 04:18 PM

Guys, ease up on the compliments. Phil will think he has gone the wrong way! His next set of pictures will have the leaper rising out of the hood on start-up (like a Rolls) and the top emitting a growling sound when it opens to go down. :D

(breaking my own rule: it looks much better)

philhef 08-31-2013 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jag#4 (Post 802822)
Guys, ease up on the compliments. Phil will think he has gone the wrong way! His next set of pictures will have the leaper rising out of the hood on start-up (like a Rolls) and the top emitting a growling sound when it opens to go down. :D

(breaking my own rule: it looks much better)

Your advise is correct!

You know there's no way I'm leaving it like this!!! Lol
I think i took off too much all at once. I'm having panic attacks!! I can tell some don't read the posts very closely! One more time, the humps are not coming back, the rear spoiler is not coming back, the leaper on the boot will be repositioned with the lettering, and there's a 50/50 chance the bonnet leaper will make an appearance. But no hole drilled.
I DO NOT LIKE MY CAR TO LOOK LIKE EVERYONE ELSE'S!
There's plenty of factory original XK8's out there. Mine's not gonna be one of them!!

enderle 09-01-2013 01:00 AM

F-Type Trunk

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of the F-Type trunk for leaper and lettering placement.

philhef 09-01-2013 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by enderle (Post 802986)

Thanks for the photo. I actually snapped a couple pics of a few Xk's and F-types at the dealers last week. My lettering is actually the XJ style.
The only single thing I don't like about the new direction jaguar is taking is the new lettering on the F type. I assume it will be carried forward on all upcoming.
That J looks like a flipped over Lexus L.. I've never minded the growlers changing all the time but why change the lettering too.

philhef 09-01-2013 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 802624)
I would do the wheels in the color of these 2009 XKR Portfolio wheels. A friend has these on his. Would look great against a black car.

When you order the 4th wheel badge remember to order a 5th one to use on the engine cover. :)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1377957469

I've got to tell you thanks! I've been looking at the front of my car and something always left me wondering why the arden kit felt dated more than it should.
It's that lower scoop opening.
When I saw this photo, it was obvious. It needs a black mesh insert in the lower opening as well. I'll be ordering ASAP! I think that will tie the lower airdam skirt into the original nose and grille.

philhef 09-01-2013 06:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 52949

Like this look. Lower and upper openings matching. Def ordering lower grille.

philhef 09-01-2013 08:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by enderle (Post 802757)
The hood looks nice without anything on it

Ok, now you went there!! In fairness one of my favorite quotes "sometimes the best advice to follow is your own"! Lol
Attachment 52951
But your F-type more than makes up for it!! :)

philhef 09-01-2013 08:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 52952
Back to the question at hand (and the badge is now black and chrome)
Mesh in the lower opening? I'm 50/50.
And remove the tint on fog lights? It's a film. I'm thinking yes.
Getting the clear side front markers as well. Losing the tinted yellow ones. Never liked them.

Frog 09-01-2013 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 802624)
I would do the wheels in the color of these 2009 XKR Portfolio wheels. A friend has these on his. Would look great against a black car.

When you order the 4th wheel badge remember to order a 5th one to use on the engine cover. :)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1377957469

To me, wheels painted anthracite just look as if they're caked in brake dust and in need of a good clean.

ccfulton 09-01-2013 09:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by enderle (Post 802986)

Hey Rob, do you use the bootlid of your F-type to shave in the morning? That's some nice paint!

Originally Posted by Frog (Post 803097)
To me, wheels painted anthracite just look as if they're caked in brake dust and in need of a good clean.

I think it depends on the color of the car. For a light color like frost blue, forget it. I don't even think that Silver XK works with the anthracite wheels, they're too close to each other.

But on an all black car, I think it can be ok. Did a little photoshopping a few weeks ago just to try it out, and think it works.

Attachment 52954

Attachment 52955

rothwell 09-01-2013 09:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by philhef (Post 802676)
...Not sure where on e engine cover a badge could go but I'm heading out to see!!

I guess your cover doesn't look like this one? Mine does so its badge got upgraded along with the wheel centers.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1378047539

rothwell 09-01-2013 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by philhef (Post 803092)
Attachment 52952
Getting the clear side front markers as well. Losing the tinted yellow ones. Never liked them.

I would vote no for lower mesh.

I like the front the way you have it in the photo. Would not change anything.

Do agree that clear side markers would be better on black.

philhef 09-01-2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 803120)
I guess your cover doesn't look like this one? Mine does so its badge got upgraded along with the wheel centers.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1378047539

I wish mine looked like that!!

Jag#4 09-01-2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by philhef (Post 803092)
Attachment 52952

Here's my vote, but it's kinda like voting for congress. They still do what they want despite any protest from me.

1) Yes to lower mesh
2) Yes to remove the tint
3) Yes to clear side markers

So a straight party ticket for me.

philhef 09-01-2013 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jag#4 (Post 803206)
Here's my vote, but it's kinda like voting for congress. They still do what they want despite any protest from me.

1) Yes to lower mesh
2) Yes to remove the tint
3) Yes to clear side markers

So a straight party ticket for me.

I'm waiting for adamesh to get back to me about just the front parking lights in clear. I don't see them anywhere else. So those are going clear.

Tint is really giving me a time to get off. I may have to remove fog lights to get it off. So those are going back to clear also.

Mesh, I'm on the fence about. In person, its a much wider intake than the upper opening. Going to see if Chris at mina has one made up. Also depends on how it attaches.

Still have no idea what I'm doing on the wing markers. I don't like the little clear markers, and I don't really want the green or red leapers. I wish they made them in black. I'm still playing with the cut down XF side vents. Nothing permanent. Is there any other badge out there?? no color!!

ccfulton 09-01-2013 05:50 PM

If you go back a few years there are some options, but not sure if the shape would work on an XK8.

New Jaguar XJ6 XJ12 Series III Fender Badge Set BEC9656 BEC9657 BD26989 4 | eBay

1998 Jaguar XJ XJ8 Right Side Fender Emblem Logo Decal Badge R 98 99 00 01 02 03 | eBay

philhef 09-01-2013 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ccfulton (Post 803325)

I have an XJS badge and it fits but looks wrong.

Jag#4 09-01-2013 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ccfulton (Post 803325)
If you go back a few years there are some options, but not sure if the shape would work on an XK8.

New Jaguar XJ6 XJ12 Series III Fender Badge Set BEC9656 BEC9657 BD26989 4 | eBay

I have one black insert leaper from a 1983 XJ6 I owned some years ago, but it does not have the chrome ring shown in the link. It is smaller (without the ring) than the XK8 leaper. Held it up to my '01 and it looks good and fits perfectly. It is indeed in black. Too bad I don't have both sides or I would send them to you.

Here's the one you need for your car: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Editio...60722730012%26