XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rethinking my XK8. Some of you will be pleased!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Rethinking my XK8. Some of you will be pleased!

Rethinking my XK8. Some of you will be pleased!-image.jpg

Ok, so I decided to have my 2002 XK8 compounded and deep polished. Had my BMW X6 done a year ago and it looked brand ne! Still does. Took out every swirl mark, oxidation, everything. I'd always planned to remove the side strips (OMG what a royal pain!) perfect time since he's doing the detailing. Also decided to take off the spoiler and hood bumps from mina gallery, they are having some finish problems, and removed the leaper.
Once everything was off, I decided to rethink the badging and such. I have a box of assorted jaguar badges and parts from many cars long gone so I started digging. First thing was to change out front growler to the new XF style in black. Next, I ordered on more wheel center so I can change all out to new growler as well, swapped out the chrome boot plinth for an older black one with no lettering. Put my XF leaper on the flat of the boot and ordered the new XJ jaguar boot lettering that goes just below it. Took off red side leaper badges and cut down my old black XF side vents and they just fit in the badge opening! (Temporarily attached until he finishes detailing) ordered the clear front markers and removing the tint on the fog lights.
I'll post more pics as each piece falls into place.
Watch for all those former pieces to be on ebay!! Lol I know someone wants the newer chrome boot plinth!!

Last edited by GGG; 08-31-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typeO in thread title
Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

Another view.
And the darn tape remover from side strips may have damaged my black wheels so if they can't be buffed, I may go with a titanium silver finish.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Boot with flat leaper and no spoiler. Waiting on the J A G U A R chrome lettering to go just below the leaper. Ad replaced chrome plinth with older black plinth.
LET ME CLARIFY THAT THIS IS NOT IN IT'S PERMANENT LOCATION! IT KEPT SLIDING OFF AND THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE IT WOULD STAY! IT WILL BE FURTHER DOWN WITH THE J A G U A R LOGO UNDERNEATH IT

Last edited by philhef; 08-31-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Your car looks so much better without the camel humps and the front leaper. It really makes the grill and badge stand out!

I would humbly suggest you move the leaper in the rear further down (closer to the rear lip). I think it would look more balanced than in the middle of the trunk/boot.

Overall, I like the looks much better now. Really pulls the black on black look together well. Nice job. Just my 2 cents.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I agree, the front looks much better!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Your car looks so much better without the camel humps and the front leaper. It really makes the grill and badge stand out!

I would humbly suggest you move the leaper in the rear further down (closer to the rear lip). I think it would look more balanced than in the middle of the trunk/boot.

Overall, I like the looks much better now. Really pulls the black on black look together well. Nice job. Just my 2 cents.
I agree. I haven't attached anything yet. Waiting for the polishing to be finished. It will be lower once the jaguar letters are installed.
It just kept sliding off when I tried to photograph it!

Old 08-31-2013, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member

I'm still on the fence about the leaper. I know there's a strong divide concerning that little bugger but at least the humps are off. Every single friend that has seen the car says they miss it the way it was.
And as you all know by now, I'm not one to have a standard car! Lol

JimC64 (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 06:05 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

looks good Phil. I think the titanium silver rims would be a plus as well

Old 08-31-2013, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sklimii
looks good Phil. I think the titanium silver rims would be a plus as well
Well, they're going you have to have something done. That spray googone I used landed on the lower half of the wheels an really did a number. I don't think they're going to be as simple as buffing. But in all honesty, I never loved the all black look. It organically happened when I found the wheels with new tires really cheap. I'm really liking the idea of a dark silver. Towards a titanium look. But my interior gets finished first!!

Old 08-31-2013, 07:23 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up Change...

These are the kind of mods that make sense to me...

Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bob OB
These are the kind of mods that make sense to me...
Now, if I get too much approval here, I start rethinking my self!!
But I'm sure by the time I'm through, there will be something that offends everybody! Lol
I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks about my chocolate alcantara suede seat inserts. Door panels are done, just waiting to take to the trim shop.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

And no one has mentioned the side vents.
I did see the Paragon (genius) adding them to an XK8 for a customer but I didn't like the chrome. And I thought they were too big. At least these are subtle.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

+1 on the changes.

Not completely convinced on the side vents but I keep looking at the picture and they might be growing on me.

On the boot plinth, shouldn't there be a growler in the middle for the release button? Or is that a difference of the older/newer cars I never noticed before?

Old 08-31-2013, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

+2 on the changes Phil....
Now don't go rethinking everything because we mostly all like it...lol

side vents are kinda growing on me too..unusual and different.

Not keen on the leaper positioning on the rear though & the alloys in titanium would be nice.

Thanks for the update Phil

Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64

+2 on the changes Phil....
Now don't go rethinking everything because we mostly all like it...lol

side vents are kinda growing on me too..unusual and different.

Not keen on the leaper positioning on the rear though & the alloys in titanium would be nice.

Thanks for the update Phil
The leaper is just sitting on the rear. Waiting for the letters to position. I want it closer to the edge. Like the F type.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
+1 on the changes.

Not completely convinced on the side vents but I keep looking at the picture and they might be growing on me.

On the boot plinth, shouldn't there be a growler in the middle for the release button? Or is that a difference of the older/newer cars I never noticed before?
I've actually ordered an aftermarket small push button that I'm going to install under the handle to one side. Was going to use the growler button but if I sell the chrome one, it helps to have that there.
But I just had an ides. If someone's not used to having a button on the older car I may put a dummy growler there. Then anyone can use it to upgrade!!

Old 08-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

I would do the wheels in the color of these 2009 XKR Portfolio wheels. A friend has these on his. Would look great against a black car.

When you order the 4th wheel badge remember to order a 5th one to use on the engine cover.

Attached Thumbnails Rethinking my XK8. Some of you will be pleased!-33409008.jpg  
philhef (09-01-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rothwell
I would do the wheels in the color of these 2009 XKR Portfolio wheels. A friend has these on his. Would look great against a black car.

When you order the 4th wheel badge remember to order a 5th one to use on the engine cover.

That's exactly the color I'm thinking about. I wanted those for my XF. Too $$$$$
My wheel guy is really good and has a similar color called hyper silver. He starts with a black base coat, then a clear coat and while its wet, he shoots a fine mist of silver over it. It sinks in the clear and looks amazing. And if it's too black, we can repeat the silver. He did a friends XJ wheels that color and looked factory. Not ricey!
Not sure where on e engine cover a badge could go but I'm heading out to see!!

Old 08-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default side vents

Love the changes (one exception noted below), hated the leaper on the hood. Once you get the lettering think the leaper on the trunk will look more balanced. Funny thing though, on my F-Type, been thinking of having the emblems on the trunk powder coated black. Really don't like chrome on the car. On the side vents, think they break the sight lines, certainly better than chrome, but had they come on my car I would have found a way to get rid of them. At least on the 2007+ cars they mold into the sides of the car better but given they aren't functional I'd have tried to have them pulled off.

The hood looks nice without anything on it and actually like your grill better than my own. Nice work!

Old 08-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
Love the changes (one exception noted below), hated the leaper on the hood. Once you get the lettering think the leaper on the trunk will look more balanced. Funny thing though, on my F-Type, been thinking of having the emblems on the trunk powder coated black. Really don't like chrome on the car. On the side vents, think they break the sight lines, certainly better than chrome, but had they come on my car I would have found a way to get rid of them. At least on the 2007+ cars they mold into the sides of the car better but given they aren't functional I'd have tried to have them pulled off.

The hood looks nice without anything on it and actually like your grill better than my own. Nice work!
Thanks!
I'm lowering the rear by about 1" also. I really like the new rear logo treatment on the new models so I think it will look better.
As for the side vents, like I said, nothing committed to yet, just stuck on with masking tape, nothing on now since being polished this week. I really hate the side leapers in color. Why didn't they make them in black?!? I just happen to have the side vents from my XF so that was the first option. And I don't care for the marker lights either. Wish I could find something more DB7 that would work. Funny thing, with nothing covering the holes, they actually let a lot of heat out!!
All of this is really due to my new interior work. THe brown and black color combo is really coming together. It just seemed to crazy on the outside with this really expensive interior coming together. I can't promise there won't be a leaper on the front, but........... Hey, you painted one on your hood!!
Back to the remote top install!!!

Quick Reply: Rethinking my XK8. Some of you will be pleased!