XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke test results and cure with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smoke test results and cure with pictures

So of course I got the lean codes and decided to proceed with the smoke test. Thanks to all the posts here that led me to conclude that. Sure enough under the intake plenum smoke came billowing as well as the vacuum hose from the passenger side valve cover. Right beside the air filter housing. Ordered 8 replacement intake gaskets. They're blue in the pictures and incidentally found a very worn and frayed cam position sensor again on the passenger side. You would never see it until your remove the entire intake. So we called aoround and found a new one and we go pick it up shortly.

New gaskets are bright blue and ill update when complete and put back together. I also thoroughly cleaned the intake manifold where the gaskets make a seal with the manifold. They had carbon and funk build up. I wanted it completely clean before I married up the new seals.

I was helping my jaguar mechanic. Hindering more likely. Anyway here's some pictures.

The following 3 users liked this post by Britinamerica:
jeremys (07-24-2017), max224 (07-24-2017), Orthodixie (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The more pictures I view of the opened Cat, the more I shake my head and ask, what am I doin'? I wish I had the expertise to dive as deep as many of my fellow Jag owners. Good job and good luck!

Old 07-24-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts
Default Don't forget the cooling parts

Please, please replace at least those valley hoses before you button it back up else you're likely to be back in there sooner rather than later. One has already had a temporary repair.

OEM parts are only about $15 each.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 PM

Too late it's buttoned back up. Saw your post too late. However the update is this. After putting it all back together it still had the hissing sound. We sprayed carb cleaner near the intakes to elicit some kind of engine annoyance but got nothing. So off with the plenum again and then off comes the throttle body and flange that it sits on. Cleaned it all up and all back together again for the second time. Started back ups still hissing. Last option was to pull the injector rail off and pull the injectors. This we did and took off the injector seals. They were very dirty. We cleaned them and put them back on. They looked brand new. All back together again and started her up. Hissing gone. Went for a ride and gave it some serious rt foot and something very strange took place. Suddenly it really did take on a different character. She sounds all rumbling and grumbling. In a good way like a V8 motor should. Back came the smile on my face and with it a new found power to the car that it hasn't had until now. Now engine light is off and node lean codes.

Conclusions???

My thought is it was sucking in extra air at one or more injectors ports. Making it run lean. Now it's sealed and more fuel is entering the chamber and thus producing more power.

Thoughts please??

Old 07-25-2017, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Brittonamerica, when you have a chance could you please explain what a smoke test is?

Thanks,
John

Old 07-25-2017, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

And do you live in Gibsonville, North Carolina?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:19 AM

Yes. G vile nc. Are you close? I'd be happy to explain the smoke test. If you want to speak over the phone that's fine too. PM me.