XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission pan gasket leaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default transmission pan gasket leaks

Again, my '97 XK8, 117,900 miles has been sitting a LOT over the past 2 years, and not driven much in the past 5 years. The trans was replaced at 82,000 miles, which I think was around 2005-6? The fluid stains on the protector under the car started showing up a year or so ago. The pan is showing fluid smeared and slightly dripping all under it. Must be the gasket because NO other leaks are found. It has probably only lost a half a pint or less. But 2 questions I need to know: Is it even worth replacing the gasket? Is this still a 5HP24 trans, or would it have been replaced with a newer version of that trans when changed out in such a later year? If I replace the gasket, what fluid is probably in there to add back in?

Old 09-26-2017, 09:16 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Same transmission as original, 5HP24. I got fed up with mine leaking at the gasket after 3 tries and ended up using Permatex gasket maker on the pan. Not a drop since then. If you're not going to replace it, then you should check and add some fluid as needed.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I've done 4 transmissions and several fluid changes and none of them seep or leak. When i install the pan I always put on a new gasket and torque the pan bolts to the proper specification. If they are over torqued it can cause the pan to warp and then leak. I have also seen oil pans leak for the same reason. Some think the tighter I get it it won't leak, not always true.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by johns55
Same transmission as original, 5HP24. I got fed up with mine leaking at the gasket after 3 tries and ended up using Permatex gasket maker on the pan. Not a drop since then. If you're not going to replace it, then you should check and add some fluid as needed.

Thank you.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by BobRoy
I've done 4 transmissions and several fluid changes and none of them seep or leak. When i install the pan I always put on a new gasket and torque the pan bolts to the proper specification. If they are over torqued it can cause the pan to warp and then leak. I have also seen oil pans leak for the same reason. Some think the tighter I get it it won't leak, not always true.
It was fine until the car sat for so long between drives. I think I'll clean the pan off and start driving it frequently to see if the leaking stops. I need to put about 200 miles on it so the computers will set up for the smog test anyway.