Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Timing Chain Saga, need "2nd opinions" please (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/timing-chain-saga-need-2nd-opinions-please-120271/)

jimbalayajag 06-20-2014 03:23 PM

Timing Chain Saga, need "2nd opinions" please

I will try to keep this to the point. 2003 XKR, 104k (all fwy miles). Cold start brought a "clacking" sound from the left of the engine, turned it off immediately. Found a mechanic who specializes in Jags nearby. Convinced it was timing chain.Towed, got a call 2 weeks later that it was only the starter!!! (wow!) No visible damage at all, however, He said I was overdue for new tensioners, so I agreed to have it done for about $1200. Get a call a few weeks later that when he was installing new tensioners, he noticed that the right timing chain had "jumped" 2 teeth, which worried him,but he hoped it was still ok. Paid him $2400 for starter and tensioners, he said we needed to tow the car to the dealership because the battery died and the car did not recognize my key. Right before tow he said he wanted to "look over things again" (I had looked at the car the day before, everything was buttoned up, so I thought this was odd). I get a call that afternoon with "bad news"...No compression on right side of motor.WTF? He said he needed to put the new tensioners in before he checked the compression because it was "so loose" before, he thought he would cause damage? I am sad and confused.I ask you: wouldn't he have tried to turn the motor over when installing the new starter, possibly causing damage? Was it necessary to put in the new tensionsers to "figure out" if I had compression? To me, I just spent $2400 putting lipstick on a pig. It seems that checking compression would have been the first thing to look at! My second question, would it really cost 5k to remove the head, have it machined and re-installed? He says he has a motor for $4500 instead, not sure how to proceed with this. Would love to hear your stories, advise, anything, I feel alone with no one who understands. Cheers

Bad Cattitude 06-20-2014 04:41 PM

Sounds like you need a new "expert mechanic".

WhiteXKR 06-20-2014 05:04 PM

Unfortunately some claims by your mechanic do not ring true:

-The 2003 model DOES NOT normally need preventative tensioner replacement.

- A dead battery does not normally result in the car not recognizing the key.

It sounds as if this guy does not know what he is doing and/or is not being truthful and might have even damaged the car.

My best advice is to immediately get the car out of there. If you have paid him already, your only recourse may be in small claims court.

Do some research on reputable Jag independents in your area and get a documented opinion from one to use later if you need it. Most dealers will be a very costly option. If the heads really are damaged, a used motor may be the least costly route at this point.

jimbalayajag 06-20-2014 05:35 PM

Thank you, white XKR

All the reading I have done on the '03 was that there were vast improvements to the tensioner issue, if you or anyone has any articles you could guide me to, it would be a big help. Imagine this, the guy has a 2001 XKR, so I thought he might know something about it....again, thanks for your reply. I am perusing this site to find any info that can help.

Jag#4 06-20-2014 07:17 PM

+1 on all the earlier posts.

$2400 for what was likely just the starter AND the car needs an engine now?

Time to get your cat out of there. This mechanic is incompetent at best and disreputable at worst.

test point 06-20-2014 08:04 PM

Wow!

From your side of the story it would seem that this guy is operating well out of his intelligence zone. Perhaps you might suggest that he post a response to this forum with his view of the situation. That would provide him an opportunity advertise his professional business credentials.

RCSign 06-21-2014 08:33 AM

Agree with all of the above. Finding a mechanic that can deal with the issues of these cars can be a tedious chore. In our metro area there's not a Jaguar dealer anymore and the old dealer didn't have mechanics who were qualified. Basically you would pay them to experiment on your car. That being said you really have to research any repair shop that you plan on using. I know many people use their cars everyday and don't have that option. When one purchases a Jag, this forum would be one of the first place to ask about a reliable mechanic, if your not able to repair it yourself. A second would be any local Jaguar or British Car Clubs, their member are always ready to recommend a competent repair facility.
I hope you can get these issues sorted, Good Luck

auburn2 06-21-2014 09:01 AM

Sounds to me like he installed the chains out of time and siezed the engine when he tried to turn it over. That would explain all the "issues" he found.

Because of stories like this I tyically try to avoid taking my car (any car) to a shop unless it is under warranty.

jimbalayajag 06-21-2014 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I really like the idea of him explaining what transpired on this site, so others can figure out what he was thinking. He says he has been working on Jaguars for 20 years, owns a 2001 xkr (it's at the shop), and claims to know what he is doing. I am going to have a talk with him on Monday, we'll see what happens. Regardless, I will get the car fixed somehow, it's my one pleasure in life.........You all have been a big help, and made me feel a little better that I wasn't crazy....