XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain Saga, need "2nd opinions" please

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Timing Chain Saga, need "2nd opinions" please

I will try to keep this to the point. 2003 XKR, 104k (all fwy miles). Cold start brought a "clacking" sound from the left of the engine, turned it off immediately. Found a mechanic who specializes in Jags nearby. Convinced it was timing chain.Towed, got a call 2 weeks later that it was only the starter!!! (wow!) No visible damage at all, however, He said I was overdue for new tensioners, so I agreed to have it done for about $1200. Get a call a few weeks later that when he was installing new tensioners, he noticed that the right timing chain had "jumped" 2 teeth, which worried him,but he hoped it was still ok. Paid him $2400 for starter and tensioners, he said we needed to tow the car to the dealership because the battery died and the car did not recognize my key. Right before tow he said he wanted to "look over things again" (I had looked at the car the day before, everything was buttoned up, so I thought this was odd). I get a call that afternoon with "bad news"...No compression on right side of motor.WTF? He said he needed to put the new tensioners in before he checked the compression because it was "so loose" before, he thought he would cause damage? I am sad and confused.I ask you: wouldn't he have tried to turn the motor over when installing the new starter, possibly causing damage? Was it necessary to put in the new tensionsers to "figure out" if I had compression? To me, I just spent $2400 putting lipstick on a pig. It seems that checking compression would have been the first thing to look at! My second question, would it really cost 5k to remove the head, have it machined and re-installed? He says he has a motor for $4500 instead, not sure how to proceed with this. Would love to hear your stories, advise, anything, I feel alone with no one who understands. Cheers

Old 06-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Sounds like you need a new "expert mechanic".

Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Unfortunately some claims by your mechanic do not ring true:

-The 2003 model DOES NOT normally need preventative tensioner replacement.

- A dead battery does not normally result in the car not recognizing the key.

It sounds as if this guy does not know what he is doing and/or is not being truthful and might have even damaged the car.

My best advice is to immediately get the car out of there. If you have paid him already, your only recourse may be in small claims court.

Do some research on reputable Jag independents in your area and get a documented opinion from one to use later if you need it. Most dealers will be a very costly option. If the heads really are damaged, a used motor may be the least costly route at this point.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-20-2014 at 06:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimbalayajag (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Default Thank you, white XKR

All the reading I have done on the '03 was that there were vast improvements to the tensioner issue, if you or anyone has any articles you could guide me to, it would be a big help. Imagine this, the guy has a 2001 XKR, so I thought he might know something about it....again, thanks for your reply. I am perusing this site to find any info that can help.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

+1 on all the earlier posts.

$2400 for what was likely just the starter AND the car needs an engine now?

Time to get your cat out of there. This mechanic is incompetent at best and disreputable at worst.

jimbalayajag (06-21-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Wow!

From your side of the story it would seem that this guy is operating well out of his intelligence zone. Perhaps you might suggest that he post a response to this forum with his view of the situation. That would provide him an opportunity advertise his professional business credentials.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Agree with all of the above. Finding a mechanic that can deal with the issues of these cars can be a tedious chore. In our metro area there's not a Jaguar dealer anymore and the old dealer didn't have mechanics who were qualified. Basically you would pay them to experiment on your car. That being said you really have to research any repair shop that you plan on using. I know many people use their cars everyday and don't have that option. When one purchases a Jag, this forum would be one of the first place to ask about a reliable mechanic, if your not able to repair it yourself. A second would be any local Jaguar or British Car Clubs, their member are always ready to recommend a competent repair facility.
I hope you can get these issues sorted, Good Luck

Old 06-21-2014, 09:01 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds to me like he installed the chains out of time and siezed the engine when he tried to turn it over. That would explain all the "issues" he found.

Because of stories like this I tyically try to avoid taking my car (any car) to a shop unless it is under warranty.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I really like the idea of him explaining what transpired on this site, so others can figure out what he was thinking. He says he has been working on Jaguars for 20 years, owns a 2001 xkr (it's at the shop), and claims to know what he is doing. I am going to have a talk with him on Monday, we'll see what happens. Regardless, I will get the car fixed somehow, it's my one pleasure in life.........You all have been a big help, and made me feel a little better that I wasn't crazy....