Sponsored by:

How much is too much oil in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default How much is too much oil in oil pan

Hi guys,
My car had its first oil change last week. 2017 R coupe.
The cars booklet states the car takes 6.5 litres of oil which equates to 6.8 quarts. The tech drained the oil replaced the oil filter then poured 6.8 quarts of oil inside the engine. I got back home and checked the oil level. The display says, OVERFILL.
I checked it three separate times and it's the same.
So what went wrong .
How much extra oil triggers the OVERFILL message. Last, how much needs to be removed to resolve this issue. Maybe half a quart?
Thanks guys.

Last edited by Ubad2; 07-25-2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 07-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

You may want to wait for an overnight cool off before checking it cold - mine went from overfill the evening I picked it up from the dealer service to OK the next morning...

Old 07-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

There is much confusion about how much oil the R takes. Seems that when JLR added AWD to the mix they lowered the sump capacity. If the tech put in the amount for a V8S then it is overfilled. There's an entire thread about it here somewhere.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Did you wait the allotted time after driving it home to check? I think you already know not to drive it. I would have dealer pick it up on flat bed back to their shop to resolve.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Banned
Default Well .....

The oil change was done last Saturday afternoon. When i left the dealer, i drove the car like i stole it, very hard. And there was no issue. I parked the car in the garage for the remainder of the day. Then i took it out at night, once again drove the car hard and there was no issue. For some reason, on Sunday i thought to check the oil level just to see that the level was okay. When i checked, it said, OBERFILL. I started to he car, warmed up the engine fully. Shut off the motor, Then checked again approx 15 minutes after shutting the engine, and still says OVERFILL.
He put the proper amount of oil but still reads too much oil in the motor.
I don't understand ....

Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

There are only two possibilities: not all of the oil was removed, or too much oil was put in.

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (09-18-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Agree with Nati.. either not properly removed or too much put in.

I believe the sensor that says overfill is quite sensitive so if you have a quarter or half quart too much and its triggered, its my understanding that it won't really hurt the engine.

My own approach would be to have the dealer remedy the situation and I would witness them taking out the excess to make sure it does not look dirty which would indicate they did not remove all the old oil in the first place. Or, could be a faulty sensor etc. etc...

The oil should be at full with a warm/hot engine and the dealer should check this before you pick it up after the change.. if its still warm I suppose you could check it yourself before driving it home.
Lawrence

Old 07-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned
Default Thanks guys !

A quick question which i should have asked while at the dealer.
how do they remove the old oil because i never saw the car being g lifted up. It stayed on the ground in the bay slot. Do they suck out the oil somehow with a machine ?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
how do they remove the old oil because i never saw the car being g lifted up. It stayed on the ground in the bay slot. Do they suck out the oil somehow with a machine ?
My dealer sucks it out with a pump, however, he knows what he is doing and has gotten the refill dead on every time on any of the Jaguar cars that I've owned. In my case the master mechanic for the dealer looks after everything on my cars, including oil change and I do hang around to watch/talk with him when I can.

In your situation, they seemed to have caused an overfill situation and as you do not have a dip stick on these engines so you can visually assess the oil cleanliness or level, you should really consider having them remedy the situation from scratch. So, remove some oil and check the condition of it and go from there.
And to add, if I did not have a relationship with the mechanic to rely on, I would be certain to spend some time face to face with the service manager on this.
Lawrence

Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
with a vacuum pump connected to the tube inside the oil filler hole.

Don1954 (09-18-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:01 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

I may be stating something most know, but for completeness if the car isn't level then overfill can be shown (or possinly unferfill).

When rechecked with the car level it will show oil ok

Old 07-26-2017, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

On a related question, when you check your oil and the indicator says it's " ok ", is the warning triangle with the exclamation point in it, lit and visible in the display?

Old 07-26-2017, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
On a related question, when you check your oil and the indicator says it's " ok ", is the warning triangle with the exclamation point in it, lit and visible in the display?
Funny you should say that, I checked my oil level a few hours ago, it said "OK", and yes the little yellow/orange triangle with an exclamation mark in it was lit up.

jaguny (07-26-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:40 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I assume the exclamation indicator shows that the ignition is on, but the engine is off. Every car I've ever driven shows something like that.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I assume the exclamation indicator shows that the ignition is on, but the engine is off. Every car I've ever driven shows something like that.
Correct, it's nothing to do with the oil level indicator.