Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   what is this thing? 04 XK8 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/what-thing-04-xk8-67142/)

hradical 01-25-2012 07:39 PM

what is this thing? 04 XK8

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,
I want to thank those who helped me find the ghost in my door. New switches have been ordered thanks to Dr.DSB. I now know what I will be doing Saturday.
I have another issue. I have a coolant leak at that front of my motor. The plastic water manifold has issues. I have attached pics. Can someone tell me if this is the thermostat housing. I found the metal version on Ebay, but the pics don't look the same.
Any input is appreciated.

test point 01-25-2012 07:51 PM

That is your thermostat housing but not the one that the '97 - '02 engines used that is available as an aluminum version. The '03 up housing has not surfaced as an issue . . . yet. Congratulations, you may be the first.

Stratohammer 01-25-2012 08:42 PM

Rest assured, that won't be the first. I had to replace mine a few years ago due to leakage - at a mold line, if memory serves. The new part was on the order of $75 and came with a new thermostat and temp sensor.

Mike

GGG 01-26-2012 02:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by hradical (Post 460104)
........Can someone tell me if this is the thermostat housing. I found the metal version on Ebay, but the pics don't look the same.
Any input is appreciated.

It is a Thermostat Housing - YES

Like test point, I'm puzzled by the shape of it. The ones you've been looking at on eBay probably look like Items 1 to 3 in this:

Attachment 16391

What Model Year is your XK8?

Graham

hradical 01-26-2012 11:14 AM

I have an 2004 convertible.

hradical 01-26-2012 11:15 AM

Stratohammer, was your replacement metal? where did you find it?

GGG 01-26-2012 01:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by hradical (Post 460423)
I have an 2004 convertible.

It's all in the detail!

You have a 4.2 litre normally aspirated engine? The JPG I attached to my earler post was for the 4.0 litre normally aspirated engine. This is the one that regularly fails and is available as a metal alternative.

Attachment 16400

The original plastic one is on the left and the aftermarket aluminium replacement on the right.

Yours is completely different:

Attachment 16401

I haven't seen these as yet available in metal. Is that a split where the orange coolant staining can be seen in your photos?

Graham

hradical 01-26-2012 01:51 PM

Its leaking at the base of the small vertical "pipe" where the overflow line is connected.

GGG 01-26-2012 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by hradical (Post 460487)
Its leaking at the base of the small vertical "pipe" where the overflow line is connected.

The part that's damaged is called the 'Water Rail & Thermostat Outlet Pipe'. and there's four different versions listed for the normally aspirated engine depending on VIN number.

The plastic cooling system components aren't cheap. Best option is to bite the bullet and buy a replacement but you may want to consider attempting to repair it.

The vertical 'pipe' is the vent to the expansion tank. If it's only cracked where it connects to the larger horizontal pipe and not completely broken off, it's likely to be repairable without having to remove it from the car using a bead of epoxy waterproof putty.

If you choose this approach, the outlet pipe will have to be prepared by thorough cleaning and drying which will involve draining off a small volume of coolant.

Graham

H20boy 01-27-2012 11:23 PM

I've replaced my tstat housing, dealer only replacement part. Not expensive either.