Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Whining sound coming from top motor, won't latch now, error on screen (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/whining-sound-coming-top-motor-wont-latch-now-error-screen-94567/)

Sentinelist 07-01-2013 09:43 AM

Indeed, Mike- thanks! I obviously drove it to work today (after rinsing off 3 months of dust) and am looking forward to dropping the top on the drive home. This is going to be a great week for it.

I finally finished buttoning it all up late last night around 10:30p, and since the wife let me work through dinner, the first drive was to Whataburger. That double cheeseburger (that I brought home and paired with a malbec) was the sweet taste of victory.

Originally Posted by test point (Post 763282)
Those solenoid connectors are how I got into the first XK8 so cheap.

The previous owner who had always taken the car to a Jaguar dealer for service had a problem with the top operation. Since his 100K dealer warranty had expired he tried to fix it himself. Ripped one connector completely off. The dealer wanted $3500 to replace the pump.

After a day of internet work found a pump damaged in a rear end wreak that only cracked the reservoir. Since my reservoir was fine I got a replacement pump for $80.

Of course, the problem was the top latch hoses anyway.

Gotta love the fixes that are beyond the previous owner's capabilities/understanding/care in general but within the next enthusiast owner's. Nice job and still an easy save!

Gus 07-01-2013 09:45 AM

Kudos to you!

Sentinelist 07-05-2013 09:52 AM

A few more bits of advice for reference while I'm thinking about it (and still enjoying a perfectly working top)...

This is a pretty large expense, even when doing the job yourself, so it's understandable that the roof hoses will be left until they start leaking, though ideally, all 6 would be replaced at once. It may only be another few hundred bucks to do so while everything's apart, so I'd recommend it. Replacing this stuff is not difficult, but it is time consuming, requires some climbing around, and you should probably have another car to use or take a day off work if you aren't retired! Consider rebuilding your roof rams for $150 USD each from Top Hydraulics as well- all new fittings. It's nice and gives you near-complete piece of mind to use the top as much as you want. Isn't that the goal? :)

Also, be super careful removing the pump. Especially if you have the premium Alpine sound system with the larger trunk rack/shelf to accommodate the amp, which the pump sits on top of into the fender. I didn't see the solenoids on top, and the plastic electrical connectors were brittle and easily broken when I yanked it out accidentally. Rebuilding those alone cost me $200. Disconnect the (typically) yellow y-connector plug on the end of the rack/shelf to free these connections, and carefully guide that wire and the pump out toward the front of the car, then down and out gently over the battery. Prop up a small box or something on the battery, and you can start disconnecting the master power and hydraulic lines from there.