Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   XK8 1997 - need backseat speakers (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/xk8-1997-need-backseat-speakers-136338/)

samwells 02-07-2015 10:26 AM

XK8 1997 - need backseat speakers

Could anyone tell me if the speakers n the door are the same as the rear?

GGG 02-07-2015 10:39 AM

Welcome to the forum samwells,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XK8/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Johnken 02-07-2015 11:55 AM

Hi Samwell, My memory says no, they are not identical - aren't the rear speakers a bit larger? Don't forget when you are discussing speakers, note which car you have coupe/conv. and you should probably acknowledge weather you have the premium system or the standard system. As I recall the 1997 premiums have a tweeter in the passenger/driver door in the triangular area in the front bottom corner of the window.

I know I didn't put a lot of definity answers here, but now that you found this XK8 area a quick search will display a wealth of info.

Welcome,

John

motorcarman 02-07-2015 04:15 PM

The rear speakers are not 'speakers' but SUBWOOFERS.
When I worked at the dealer years ago we got complaints all the time about not being able hear the rear speakers. Customers thought there was something wrong.
We had to explain over & over & over.......................... They are SUBWOOFERS.

I think later cars have 2 loudspeakers in the box so it had more 'range'.

bob gauff

samwells 02-08-2015 10:23 AM

Looking at the rear box,it looks like a regular 6 1/2 speaker.

samwells 02-08-2015 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman (Post 1156579)
The rear speakers are not 'speakers' but SUBWOOFERS.
When I worked at the dealer years ago we got complaints all the time about not being able hear the rear speakers. Customers thought there was something wrong.
We had to explain over & over & over.......................... They are SUBWOOFERS.

I think later cars have 2 loudspeakers in the box so it had more 'range'.

bob gauff

In looking at the speaker box.they look like 6 1/2 inch speakers.Are you certain they are subwoofers?

GGG 02-08-2015 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the speaker description for 1997MY from JTIS:

Attachment 105955

Attachment 105958
(click on the images to enlarge them)

Model Year and body type are essential information for a question like this. Please add vehicle details to your forum Signature.

Graham

motorcarman 02-08-2015 03:38 PM

The INTRO to the XK8 booklet (MY 1997) has the section on ICE and apparently the base model uses the 6.25" triple cone as the door speakers AND rear quarter for the convertible. The PREMIUM SOUND has the 'long throw' subwoofers.

Sometime later the rear speaker box was upgraded to 2 speakers for greater range (as in GGG info sketch)

The MY 1997 intro guide is in the large file area for download and all this info is in there. It is over 24 megs so I cannot post it to this reply as an attachment.

look for

XK8 Intro_jjm18151470.pdf

sorry for the mis-info if you have the BASE model.

bob gauff