Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   XK8 Convertible Top Problem (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/xk8-convertible-top-problem-140/)

09-10-2005 09:23 PM

XK8 Convertible Top Problem

Afternoon,

Just bought a 98 XK8 a couple of weeks ago. Amazing car. I am having a problem with the convertible top. We had the top down,
parked it, and were putting the top up when the motor (?) on it stopped. The top is almost closed, but the latch that comes up to grab
the top and secure it hasn't come up. So, the top is up and closed, but not secure. Neither pressing the up nor down button works, the top isn't going anywhere. Not hearing the motor sound on it as well. The car is still working fine, but this is obviously a problem.

Did the convertible top motor just die?

I have a great warranty, but it's Sat and everything is closed.

Any ideas from someone who knows would be great.

Take care!

TM

09-12-2005 05:26 AM

RE: XK8 Convertible Top Problem

Update:

I was able to close the top by following the instructions manually with wrench, etc.

Anyone have any idea why the convertible motor died? It affects the rear auto windows as well. I checked all the fuses
as well.

11-29-2005 11:34 PM

RE: XK8 Convertible Top Problem

ONE OF THE MICRO SWITHES IN THE LATH FAILD CAUISING YOUR TOP TO GO INTO FAILSAFE MODE. YOU NEED TO GET THE LATCH HEADER PANEL REPLASED.

Gibso 06-20-2015 08:41 AM

Hi
I have read your problem and here is my thought.
The top stopped working at the point where it needs a signal from the right hand ram that it is fully extended.
Remove the back seat, I use this term lightly, and inspect the connections on the bottom of the ram. also follow the leads along the floor about 18inches to a connection plug. This plug can get corroded. This plug is a great place to test the operation of the switch inside the ram.
If the system does not receive the fully extended signal the pins and latch on the header will not close and the rear windows will not come up.
The rams internal switch is quite reliable so I would suspect connections.
Be careful when moving the top by hand as you can damage the frame.
One last comment. The rear windows receive a timed signal to close once the top is fully up. There are no signals sent to the close or open top system from the rear windows.
Good luck Mike

Jandreu 06-20-2015 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gibso (Post 1251392)
Hi
I have read your problem and here is my thought.
The top stopped working at the point where it needs a signal from the right hand ram that it is fully extended.
Remove the back seat, I use this term lightly, and inspect the connections on the bottom of the ram. also follow the leads along the floor about 18inches to a connection plug. This plug can get corroded. This plug is a great place to test the operation of the switch inside the ram.
If the system does not receive the fully extended signal the pins and latch on the header will not close and the rear windows will not come up.
The rams internal switch is quite reliable so I would suspect connections.
Be careful when moving the top by hand as you can damage the frame.
One last comment. The rear windows receive a timed signal to close once the top is fully up. There are no signals sent to the close or open top system from the rear windows.
Good luck Mike

Did you happen to notice this is a ten year old thread? Happens to all of us, LOL

Stamford 06-20-2015 11:20 PM

Actually, the thread was never closed, so maybe the OP is still chasing the cause! ;-)