E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Classic Jaguar Service/Repair -- N. California

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Jaguar Service/Repair -- N. California

Hi, Can anyone recommend an experienced mechanic who knows how to work on the E-Type (Series II) e.g., clutch and carbs (Zenith Strombergs) – will consider professional, full-time, part-time, amateur, hobbyist? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. The car is not running at present (needs clutch and carb work). Thanks, Al (Mr. Alan Wrench)

Old 12-23-2016, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

There is a well established shop in Oakland, Continental Imports Auto Service. The owner and his son are very dedicated to the marque. They had quite a collection of older Jags in the shop when i visited them. They are located in a urban industrial neighborhood. Their Yelp reviews are unreal.

There is another established shop in the South Bay, in Los Gatos. Jaguar Purrformance Center.(That's the real name!) The neighborhood is about as different from the Oakland location as you can imagine. The owner of this shop Rick, is very nice and knowledgeable. There was an early Rolls Royce under restoration while I was there. Their reviews are great also.

I was impressed by the owners of both shops.Hope you find what you need.

Continental Imports Auto Service Jaguar Purrformance Center
2215 International Blvd.Oakland Ca. 94606 608 University Ave. Los Gatos Ca. 95032
(510) 532-6603 (408)354-4445

Old 12-23-2016, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

There is a well established shop in Oakland, Continental Imports Auto Service. The owner and his son are very dedicated to the marque. They had quite a collection of older Jags in the shop when i visited them. They are located in a urban industrial neighborhood. Their Yelp reviews are unreal.

There is another established shop in the South Bay, in Los Gatos. Jaguar Purrformance Center.(That's the real name!) The neighborhood is about as different from the Oakland location as you can imagine. The owner of this shop Rick, is very nice and knowledgeable. There was an early Rolls Royce under restoration while I was there. Their reviews are great also.

I was impressed by the owners of both shops.Hope you find what you need.

Continental Imports Auto Service 2215 International Blvd. Oakland Ca. 94606 (510)532-6603

Jaguar Purrformance Center 608 University Ave. Los Gatos Ca. 95032
(408)354-4445

Old 12-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks to Rivguy – the Los Gatos shop is news to me; I had heard about a shop in Oakland but wasn’t able to track them down via Google (the owners are probably too busy fixing cars to optimize their search engine results). Rivguy didn’t mention Joe’s Foreign in Walnut Creek or DeLong’s Automotive in Campbell; I’m not familiar with either of these, but has anyone else had any experience of either of these latter two, or have any other shops/mechanics in mind? Thanks again, Al (A. Wrench)

Old 12-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd highly recommend Clint at Ed Wright's British Car repair in San Rafael. Clint took over the business from his dad Ed Wright and is exceptional. If anyone can get your Series 2 purring he's the guy. He's very experienced and works on the car himself.

Andy

Old 12-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

John at John's Independent Jaguar in SF has taken care of my Series 3 E-type for years (in addition my formerly owned TR8 and Aston V8). Highly recommended. His shop is about 7 blocks from the Mission St. Bart station too if that helps.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Wrench
Hi, Can anyone recommend an experienced mechanic who knows how to work on the E-Type (Series II) e.g., clutch and carbs (Zenith Strombergs) – will consider professional, full-time, part-time, amateur, hobbyist? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. The car is not running at present (needs clutch and carb work). Thanks, Al (Mr. Alan Wrench)
Justin at J&G Automotive in San Rafael is excellent with the older Jags, trained at Jaguar in Coventry, etc. J&G is a full service shop with several mechanics, so British cars of all eras and marques go through, everything from the oldest Jags to the newer Astons and everything in between. Super nice folks, great at setting/meeting expectations and surprisingly affordable. Can't recommend them highly enough. J and G Automotive