Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd
Im still not an F type owner but will be in april. My experience with northeast weather(metro ny) and Porsche can be simply be explained by the typically expensive Porsche winter package I purchased. Its a little steep at $38,000 but does include winter tires mounted on rims attached to a ford explorer, there were quite a few snow driving days last winter otherwise I use the sports car) . With minimal front clearance those valences would be expensive to replace as the snow ice and debris that accumulate between the tire tracks would make your car a plow- Not sure Id blow through 2 feet of snow with the front end of my f type- has nothing to do with traction
You're not going to blow through 2' in any car. That's off-road stuff, for which I have a Jeep Wrangler, which I'm very fond of.

However, the heavy snow belt areas usually get the roads plowed to a manageable level in a half-day or so.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type Winter-dsc00301.jpg  
Old 12-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Be careful out there. All bets are off on black ice.
Video: Blue Angels jet slides off runway | Local News - Home

Old 12-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Trakrzy
Have you done anything to protect the shell/chassis against salt? I know aluminium doesn't rust but I feel terrible everytime I feel the salt in the wheel wells.
I'm running it unprotected, I doubt there is any protection that would withstand a true winter, except storage...

What I have noticed is that the brake rotors on the F-Type rust extraordinarily fast (compared to my previous cars). There is a noticeable amount of rust on them every morning, I feel can feel the build up with the brake pedal, I have to drag the brake a tiny bit when first starting out to clean them off. One time I left it over a weekend and the Monday morning the pads were essentially seized on the rotors, so much so that idle in reverse wasn't enough to get the car moving on a flat surface. Going to start rinsing the rotors with the hose when I bring it into the garage every night.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by plmmd
Im still not an F type owner but will be in april. My experience with northeast weather(metro ny) and Porsche can be simply be explained by the typically expensive Porsche winter package I purchased. Its a little steep at $38,000 but does include winter tires mounted on rims attached to a ford explorer, there were quite a few snow driving days last winter otherwise I use the sports car) . With minimal front clearance those valences would be expensive to replace as the snow ice and debris that accumulate between the tire tracks would make your car a plow- Not sure Id blow through 2 feet of snow with the front end of my f type- has nothing to do with traction
I'd give my F-Type an award for one of the best looking snow-plows on the road this winter.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rammer_28
I'm running it unprotected, I doubt there is any protection that would withstand a true winter, except storage...

What I have noticed is that the brake rotors on the F-Type rust extraordinarily fast (compared to my previous cars). There is a noticeable amount of rust on them every morning, I feel can feel the build up with the brake pedal, I have to drag the brake a tiny bit when first starting out to clean them off. One time I left it over a weekend and the Monday morning the pads were essentially seized on the rotors, so much so that idle in reverse wasn't enough to get the car moving on a flat surface. Going to start rinsing the rotors with the hose when I bring it into the garage every night.
That will just make it worse. You need to drag your brakes before entering the garage to dry them off, that will eliminate the rust.

The following users liked this post:
rammer_28 (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by zach05855
That will just make it worse. You need to drag your brakes before entering the garage to dry them off, that will eliminate the rust.
Thanks for the advice, i'm wondering if its purely related to salt and not the fact that they're wet, Montreal uses tons of salt. In the summer I don't get the same rust formation in the rain, that and the way the entry is into my garage I already have to drag the brakes for a while going into the underground.

Nice collection of cars by the way!

Old 12-18-2014, 04:49 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

When I wash my car in the summer, the brakes show rust before I get it back in the garage.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
When I wash my car in the summer, the brakes show rust before I get it back in the garage.
Ya, i'm not talking about just a small visible rust like in the summer, it's enough rust that you feel it when you brake the first few times, and enough to seize the pads to the rotors preventing idle from getting the car going..

Old 12-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Winter? What winter?

Today, in the great state of Maine, it was just splendid driving weather - sunny clear blue skies, cool temperatures, and barely any salt or sand on the roads. Easily racked up 100+ miles today (with equal measures of triple digit...well you know). It is 70 mph per person right?

Winter? What winter?

The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
DuhCar (12-20-2014), F-TypeRookie (12-19-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Trakrzy
Have you done anything to protect the shell/chassis against salt? I know aluminium doesn't rust but I feel terrible everytime I feel the salt in the wheel wells.
Aluminum doesn't rust, but it will still oxidize on the surface. In acidic or alkaline environments (acid rain in the Northeast), the oxidation can be severe enough to cause significant material loss. You can witness this by looking at old aluminum cans along the side of the road, particularly where the soils are acidic. If the paint is not properly sealed or is chipped, oxidation on the aluminum under the paint will cause the paint to start chipping off. Road salt is not likely to accelerate aluminum oxidation nearly as much rust (iron alloy or steel oxidation).

Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Winter? What winter? Today, in the great state of Maine, it was just splendid driving weather - sunny clear blue skies, cool temperatures, and barely any salt or sand on the roads. Easily racked up 100+ miles today (with equal measures of triple digit...well you know). It is 70 mph per person right? Winter? What winter?
Well done old chap.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Well done old chap.
Apologies StealthPilot for the delayed reply.

I was out. Driving. Another 100+ miles and more 100+ m...p...(oh you know). Amazing day!

Best regards,
RJ52

Old 12-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Winter? What winter?

Today, in the great state of Maine, it was just splendid driving weather - sunny clear blue skies, cool temperatures, and barely any salt or sand on the roads. Easily racked up 100+ miles today (with equal measures of triple digit...well you know). It is 70 mph per person right?

Winter? What winter?
RJ, I'm proud of you.

RickyJay52 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
RJ, I'm proud of you.
Thank you Foosh.

While I was having lunch today - F-Type parked directly in front of the classic A1 Diner in Gardiner, Maine - two guys came over to my table to tell me what a stunning car it is. Naturally I thanked them, and of course agreed, which they then followed with, "aren't you worried about driving it in the winter?", insinuating that it was too beautiful a car to take out unless conditions are pristine.

Ain't no such thing and, as I told them, "it's just a car". And a car is meant for one thing and one thing only - other than the external intrinsic beauty (a work of art in some cases, and even then...) - DRIVING.

Winter be damned!

Thanks again,
RJ52

Old 12-21-2014, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

And a car is meant for one thing and one thing only - other than the external intrinsic beauty (a work of art in some cases, and even then...) - DRIVING.
I couldn't agree more. All of my vehicles are daily drivers at any time of year (I do avoid ice with the cycles, however), regardless of value and age. You just need to take the appropriate actions to counter the resulting entropy.

Winter be damned!
That's the great thing about the aluminum body. With proper surface protection and regular rinsing, the winter toll can be minimal.

RickyJay52 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Sev
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Negative. For the most part - and as we live and work on the coast - local munis and the state clear the roads up quite well and over the years I've rarely found the need for snows (and that includes the years I had an NSX). Unless it's snowing and/or icy - in which case the F-Type will very likely remain at home (and if I get "caught" in something, so be it) - I've made the decision to drive my V6S regardless of the weather/winter. Especially since I had the car "filmed", I'm less concerned about sand/salt/debris hitting the car.

It's just a car...if a stunning one at that!

Carpe diem.

P.S. No question, on the drive in this morning, I felt a bit more alive...with rear wheel drive! What is life without adventure?

you're brave to drive it with the original summers. I diont know what weather you get in your region but in sub 40F, summer tires become like bricks...

Really gives the car another life with winters on

DuhCar (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sev
you're brave to drive it with the original summers. I diont know what weather you get in your region but in sub 40F, summer tires become like bricks...

You're right you do have to be very careful with the power when temps drop below 40. Actually anything below 50 makes them slippery.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sev

Brave or stupid. Truth is I'm a pretty confident - and competent - driver and do understand the dynamics of cold temperatures on tires. Having said that;

IT'S ALIVE, ALIVE!!!!

Old 12-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Sev
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brave or stupid. Truth is I'm a pretty confident - and competent - driver and do understand the dynamics of cold temperatures on tires. Having said that;

IT'S ALIVE, ALIVE!!!!
hehee, enjoy "The Beast"!

RickyJay52 (12-23-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Please tell me some of you on the east coast who've stored your F-Type for the winter took it out on some of this splendid Indian summer weather many of us are having??? And if you haven't (why haven't you?) surely you've been thinking about it???

Carpe diem.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-26-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: F-Type Winter