F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any way to disable spoiler on ftype?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 02:57 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

In the US, they can only be raised manually at a stop. If he questions it, just say (at a stop) that you can raise or lower with that button. It's true! (While you are stopped...)
But I also don't like how it cuts out the bottom 1/2 of the view. I think that is ~why~ it can't be raised or lowered at will?

Old 02-21-2017, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
In the US, they can only be raised manually at a stop. If he questions it, just say (at a stop) that you can raise or lower with that button. It's true! (While you are stopped...)
But I also don't like how it cuts out the bottom 1/2 of the view. I think that is ~why~ it can't be raised or lowered at will?
I've never noticed the restricted view. For me, it might restrict seeing an exotic car that's tailgating within a foot or two, but otherwise no trouble seeing anything else back there.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I've never noticed the restricted view. For me, it might restrict seeing an exotic car that's tailgating within a foot or two, but otherwise no trouble seeing anything else back there.
+1
The benefits of added downforce above 70MPH outweigh the aesthetic or minor sight differences out the back for me. Personally, I like the techno cool factor of auto deploying spoiler :-)
CRS

Old 02-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connectors

Originally Posted by klrgoten
No codes / error lights that have popped up so far. If I push the spoiler button, there is an error that pops up that says "spoiler not available" since it is disconnected when the toggle is off but if you toggle it back on, the error goes away when you turn off / on the car as it is reconnected and goes up/down as it should.

The pushbutton obviously isn't normally in there, all part of what I installed. You would have to take the top cover off to do the work that needs to be done to make it possible... that's just the most convenient spot I found to insert the switch I used so I didn't have to drill / cut anything.
Do you have any reference numbers for the connectors or a supplier.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I have had this on my list of things to investigate - in Germany the speed limit on normal highways is 100km/h and that's when the spoiler goes up. 120km/h would be much nicer in my opinion.

I was looking through the spoiler functional documentation from the official source and saw that:

In case the spoiler is not functional, probably detected by a failure of the end of travel switches (up, down) to be activated, this results in a number of autonomous decisions by the main control unit: 1. Max Speed is set to 216km/h 2. DSC is activated even if deselected by driver.

Looks like just disabling the motor connection is not the way to go.

How is this done if you install the Piecha fixed wing spoiler?

This information was for the F-Type convertible, though.

The following users liked this post:
15FTypeR (08-08-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok, so here is my 2 cents - I personally like the spoiler. I was driving behind my wife on the freeway, and I did not find it to be at all bad looking, infact I think it suits the car pretty well. As far as rear vision is concerned, yes, it does reduce it a bit, but the toip half of the rear window still gives plenty of visibility. In the words of Raul Julia in the amazing 1976 Gumball Rally "whats a behind me is not important"!

Personally, I am never going to mess with it. If it is prone to paint damage, have it covered in SunTex or Xpel. It does catch a bunch of dirt, so essential to clean at every wash.
Cheers

Old 04-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Myself I like very much this feature, makes the car a more living creature. Like the Pagani Hueira or other super cars that have some moving aerodynamic spoiler or braking aid part. Is also a very airplane like flap feeling, makes you a more pilot of the beast. Gives a more dramatic and theatrical shape. My son that studies for automotive design insists that the coupe version spoiler is a bit too short and central and could be more sophisticated.
But I like the thing. Makes this Jaguar, especially the Coupe desirable to watch and to play with. My opinion

Mbourne (04-16-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The new Panamera spoiler works widening after opening up, gaining width in both sides, interesting. Could be an example for the F-Type. Clever and functional, at same time cooler as a design. I would appreciate this solution! Would satisfy my son's opposition on the F-Type small spoiler in the coupe too...

Last edited by JagAlb; 04-21-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:11 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by klrgoten
ok so I don't want to jump the gun on this but in preparation for installing my GT spoiler from Piecha (I didn't want to cut the metal rods as the instructions stated), I played around with the wiring for the rear spoiler. I still need to road test it this weekend to make sure it's fully disabled but I made a little harness with an interrupt toggle and hid it under the trunk close button.

It seemed like the connector below is what was providing power to the motor assembly and without it, the motor is dead... I used that as my target point for the harness.

The harness interrupts the power going from this connection directly to the motor. Without it, it shouldn't move. Since I didn't want it permanent, I used a 15A toggle which would either allow me to provide power to the motor or not, depending on the direction of the toggle (on/off pretty much). This is where I hid the toggle. I just pull out the trunk button and my toggle is right inside. Out of the way, clean, unseen.

Finding a male & female version of that power connector was sort of a pain in the *** but I didn't want to do any cutting / splicing of the motor electric system. I'll post more details about it after I road test it to make sure it works as intended.

Nice!

Where is this black connector located?

How did you access this connector?

Thanks

Old 08-03-2017, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

The connector is under the spoiler but it's a bit of a job to get at, see post #133 in this thread.

15FTypeR (08-03-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:34 PM

Did the mod today, thanks to OzXFR instructions and klrgoten switch location idea.

Works great.

Thanks FanDjango too for the note about the speed limiter that kicks in.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 01xk8
Did the mod today, thanks to OzXFR instructions and klrgoten switch location idea.

Works great.

Was it a simple plug and play or did it require any cutting/splicing? Any chance you could make me one of those?

Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 01xk8

Works great.

Now someone needs to be a real trailblazer and come up with a clean way to relocate that switch somewhere in the cockpit, so the spoiler can be activated/deactivated while driving.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:15 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Now someone needs to be a real trailblazer and come up with a clean way to relocate that switch somewhere in the cockpit, so the spoiler can be activated/deactivated while driving.
Just what I was thinking too! (Although I am certainly not the one to do it...) If someone steps up, lemme know! I'm sure someone here could do that..

Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 PM

I believe once the car decides "spoiler unavailable" it might not care if you turned the switch back on - meaning the car might need to be 'rebooted' to recognize it again.

When I get a chance I will run a long wire to the driver seat and test the theory/concept.

Also going to research the control system and see what I can do to make it fully manual

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 08-10-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Misujerr (08-11-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

For all those worried about a disabled rear spoiler causing problems at high speed, see this Aussie recall: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...5-rear-spoiler
Based on that, the rear spoiler isn't needed to be raised until 217 km/h (135 mph).
My car falls in the listed range of VINs but I have no idea if it was ever applied and in any event it doesn't matter any more if it was or wasn't.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
For all those worried about a disabled rear spoiler causing problems at high speed, see this Aussie recall: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...5-rear-spoiler
Based on that, the rear spoiler isn't needed to be raised until 217 km/h (135 mph).
My car falls in the listed range of VINs but I have no idea if it was ever applied and in any event it doesn't matter any more if it was or wasn't.
Lobster Runners have fully tested functionality.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Lobster Runners have fully tested functionality.
Must be some pretty fast running lobsters out your way!
In my neck of the woods they are called crayfish and they are way too big to run that fast: http://resources3.news.com.au/images...55-andonas.jpg

Old 10-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Must be some pretty fast running lobsters out your way!
In my neck of the woods they are called crayfish and they are way too big to run that fast: http://resources3.news.com.au/images...55-andonas.jpg

We usually get our crayfish from the Gulf of Mexico, not from cooling water ponds next to a nuclear power plant.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

We usually get our crayfish from the Gulf of Mexico, not from cooling water ponds next to a nuclear power plant.
Them weeny things are what we call yabbies!

Unhingd (10-22-2017)

Quick Reply: any way to disable spoiler on ftype?