F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STO N SHO hidden license plate bracket...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just ordered one - thanks so much for posting this!

Old 06-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Now I'm off to Home Depot search for bumper plugs. The small button heads on nylon fasteners should be perfect. That's no big deal and no more noticeable than the parking sensors.
The 911 I used to own didn't have any holes drilled in the bumper, but if it did, I was going to buy some of these:

Bumper Plugs

Might not matter as much on a black bumper (home improvement stores might have something that would work fine), but for anything painted, BP sells them in various colors.

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Well that sucks Foosh,here in Cali it's just a matter of finding a CHP officer or driving to the closest station...which is about a 10 minute drive for me...and get it signed off. No fines and no points or penalty.
I could have sworn I read somewhere that here in California, no front plate is no longer a "fix it" ticket - it's a "real" ticket now?

Old 06-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneAspen
The 911 I used to own didn't have any holes drilled in the bumper, but if it did, I was going to buy some of these:

Bumper Plugs
I looked at those on-line, and they obviously don't know F-Types. They're sold in body colors only, which is clearly not what anyone would want for an F-Type. To their credit, they do have all the F-Type paint colors available, so they did do a little research. They're also $34 for 2 and much bigger than they need to be.

I found exactly what I needed at Autozone for $2.99. I just sprayed them matte black to match the base matte bumper bar.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Ordered one as well - good find!

Orkney

Old 06-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts
Thumbs up Really a nice,simple design guys...!

Does not impede drivability...

Obviously not the lowest point on the car...

Super trick one bolt installation...maybe 5 minutes tops!

The Mustang unit I saw yesterday had mounting rods that were about 3 times longer than these so each unit it tailored to the specific car...

I could have sworn I read somewhere that here in California, no front plate is no longer a "fix it" ticket - it's a "real" ticket now?
The back of my ticket says the violation will be dismissed by the court after proof of correction and payment of a "transaction fee" so whatever it is,it appears to be minor.

Ok,back from our Costco run and a quick stop by the local Jag dealer,I must say the simplicity of this unit amazes this son of a machinist,it really is trick...mine should arrive on Monday so I'll fasten it then.

Everyone should be real pleased with this purchase,a really nice simply made design sold by one heck of a nice guy and businessman.

The following users liked this post:
deltagroup (06-24-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

I just did a little more investigation of that bolt that has to come out to install the mounting base for the plate bracket, and thought I'd give a heads up to those who've ordered.

You'll need a T30 (Torx) bit to remove the OEM fastener. Given the limited ground clearance, you need to put the Torx bit in a coupler on a small socket wrench, unless you just feel like jacking the front of the car or own a lift.

It looks like Mike supplies a socket head fastener with his kit that replaces the T30.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Foosh,I have every nut driver and torx bit known to man...!

Old 06-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

I think it depends where you are at and what jurisdiction, In CA. A few years ago about 14 of us on a drive up Mt Hamilton had a Santa Clara Co. sheriff threaten each and every one of us with a full ticket (not a fix it ticket). He was being a real d!ck about it too, but didn't write any tickets, said he would if he ever saw us again.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Yes, wouldn't surprise me if he sold 50 or more just from this site.
Count me in. Ordered! Special thanks to buickfunnycar for the find and the discount.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-21-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

These guys are legit. I bought mine without the coupon code and never even requested it be applied after it got posted on this thread and they refunded me the $9 anyway.

Looking forward to hooking this up and using it!

Old 06-21-2015, 06:48 PM

I looked at those on-line, and they obviously don't know F-Types. They're sold in body colors only, which is clearly not what anyone would want for an F-Type. To their credit, they do have all the F-Type paint colors available, so they did do a little research. They're also $34 for 2 and much bigger than they need to be.

I found exactly what I needed at Autozone for $2.99. I just sprayed them matte black to match the base matte bumper bar.

Foosh, why would I need these again? where would you put them?

Old 06-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
If you already drilled holes in your bumper for the plate

Old 06-21-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by TwiztOG43
If you already drilled holes in your bumper for the plate
aah, thanks.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

just ordered mine. Thanx Buick.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

What he said . . . I have holes to fill. You simply can't get away without a front plate in MD.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
I'm telling you...in talking with Mike,you can tell the devil is in the details,it looks simple but a lot of thought has gone on to make it the efficient and simple design you see here...bravo Mike and his entire family.

He told me he just received his patent on it last month...thanks Wayne for the comments and hope to see you again on a future cruise soon.
Thank you. Great find. Just ordered. Like many others, the design is so simple but it is the best kit I've seen out there as well.

Question on the single fastener, Buick. I haven't taken the bolt out yet. But, since Mike's kit, light-weight as it appears to be, has only the one mounting bolt, I am assuming that that one fastener has sufficient holding capacity, i.e., we should be able to tighten it down to 12-15 ft-lbs if not more, right? (I'm also assuming the spacer is beefy enough too.) Just askin'. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Thank you. Great find. Just ordered. Like many others, the design is so simple but it is the best kit I've seen out there as well.

Question on the single fastener, Buick. I haven't taken the bolt out yet. But, since Mike's kit, light-weight as it appears to be, has only the one mounting bolt, I am assuming that that one fastener has sufficient holding capacity, i.e., we should be able to tighten it down to 12-15 ft-lbs if not more, right? (I'm also assuming the spacer is beefy enough too.) Just askin'. Thanks.
I'm wondering about the 1 bolt holding this thing up as well. How stable can it be?

Old 06-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

those guys are fast! apparently it's been shipped! I'm not sure if I'll install it, but bought one in case. definitely the best solution of all the options seen. hate the tow hook, off-centered solution.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
those guys are fast! apparently it's been shipped! I'm not sure if I'll install it, but bought one in case. definitely the best solution of all the options seen. hate the tow hook, off-centered solution.
I had the same thoughts... I don't know if I'll ever use it, but I'll install the mount in case I ever feel the need (or have to clear a fix-it ticket for a missing front plate.)

Old 06-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

I'm wondering about the 1 bolt holding this thing up as well. How stable can it be?
Oh it's a sturdy installation,watch that video Mike posted on his site and you'll see he only goes about 1/2 turn to tighten once it's seated...that receiver isn't going anywhere.

I should receive mine today...I hope.

Quick Reply: STO N SHO hidden license plate bracket...