F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 06:50 AM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Do you have to have the software reflash!!

Old 03-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I drove the car into work today. The soundtrack is definitely very different.

The muscle car sound is still identical on acceleration. Its the pops and bangs that are significantly different.

I drove the entire journey to the office in dynamic / sport. Something I wouldn't have done before as quite frankly it was a little obnoxious and embarrassing - the merest hint of throttle lift at any speed made the car erupt in a cacophony of crackles and bangs. Under normal driving conditions there were absolutely no crackles and bangs today - unless I provoked it with a heavy right foot up high in the rev range followed by a sudden lift.

There is a long downhill stretch on the entrance to the office car park. In the past, in dynamic (not sport) and a trailing throttle at around 10mph the car would burble and pop all the way down. Today - absolutely zero, even in sport mode.

So the pops and crackles are still there - but only when provoked with a heavy right foot and sudden lift.

I also felt the driving experience felt off - although that is anecdotal. Felt to me that the car was less eager and wanted to be in a higher gear than normal when driving in sport. Could be my imagination though.

Whatever issue they were trying to resolve with this software update has had an effect on the soundtrack - in my car, and the OP's at least.

Maybe the software flash requires time to bed in and relearn driving styles?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I have not had the 02 reflash, and I'm sure I'm one of many very perplexed by these accounts. So many others have had the reflash and reported absolutely no differences.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
I have not had the 02 reflash, and I'm sure I'm one of many very perplexed by these accounts. So many others have had the reflash and reported absolutely no differences.
Maybe its a V8 / early car thing? Did they change anything in later model years - engine management module etc?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:26 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I had an episode in my car last year - when I'd switch to dynamic, the dynamic light would come on, but nothing else felt like dynamic was on - handling, steering response, throttle response, etc. It went away on its own before I got it to the dealer, and they, of course, found no issue.

It may indeed need to learn your driving style.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

not getting the O2 sensor TSB done for sure. I have no issues no and don't fixing what ain't broke ... spent too much time and effort to have the car tuned and exhaust installed for JLR to ruin it ...

Old 03-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
not getting the O2 sensor TSB done for sure. I have no issues no and don't fixing what ain't broke ... spent too much time and effort to have the car tuned and exhaust installed for JLR to ruin it ...
Yes, and their O2 update would revert you back to the OEM tune. I made certain to get the O2 update before the tune (but didn't notice any change in sound).

Old 03-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Keep in mind that typically with any sort of software update, it clears the car's adaptations to your driving style. Example..whenever I have a full tank of gas with the way I drive, the car tells me my range it about 300 miles. When I get the car back from service, it will tell me my range is 380-400 miles as the car calculates the range based off of factory adaptations until it relearns your driving style. Take this with a grain of salt but this CAN be the case here.

For most everyday drivers, I doubt they'll notice the difference in the way car drives.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

I had a passenger airbag warning light on my XKRS. Was in for that 3 times, they twice replaced the module/sensor. Last Friday it came on again when I moved the seat. They researched some more and found a TSB for that and applied that flash, that did not change the tune on my XKRS. Just not going to play around with the F-Type unless I have an issue. I see no point applying software updates when there are no issues with the car.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I had a passenger airbag warning light on my XKRS. Was in for that 3 times, they twice replaced the module/sensor. Last Friday it came on again when I moved the seat. They researched some more and found a TSB for that and applied that flash, that did not change the tune on my XKRS. Just not going to play around with the F-Type unless I have an issue. I see no point applying software updates when there are no issues with the car.
I would agree - the car has been running great and I drive it pretty much every day for the past 2 years. I would rather have it re-flashed back to the old software version although that's likely impossible now - at least from an official JLR dealer.

I guess the only consideration - did they revise something to ensure longevity of the engine - maybe they foresaw indicators that could lead to early failures with the older software revision? Who knows really what it is addressing - could be a VW style emissions fix being stealthily rolled out !!

Old 03-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

What is the nature of the O2 sensor TSB?

Is it possible they are dialing back the 'pops' due to it causing problems with (frying) the O2 sensors, at least on the V8?

Last edited by mshedden; 03-03-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:48 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I had assumed it was related to the long-running O2 sensor failures, which I believe predate F-types. I've had two replaced.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I had assumed it was related to the long-running O2 sensor failures, which I believe predate F-types. I've had two replaced.
O2 sensors are a common component and not made by JLR, and built to operate in a fairly harsh environment - gotta wonder why they would fail more often in Jags than say in other cars(?) I wonder if incomplete combustion of 'pop' related fuel causes a problem?

Last edited by mshedden; 03-03-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

So can we ask for the software update not to be done then!!

Old 03-03-2016, 04:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Seemingly, the O2 Service Action for O2 sensor calibration is only for Bosch ECUs, on both the V6 and V8.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-stock-153184/

This is from Cambo, so you know it's true.

Here's the document he posted - its applies to the Powertrain Control Module. I would think this is different than where you tunes get stored?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...o2-sensors.pdf

Old 03-03-2016, 05:46 PM

Drove the entire journey home in dynamic / sport. Not a single burble or pop. The only way to produce then is with violent acceleration followed by a snap lift off. Clearly not a driving style to use on the roads.

Had the car always behaved like this I wouldn't know any different and would be happy. However as I have lived with it for 2 years with burbles, pops and cracks I am not happy. I feel the character and personality of the car is entirely different now. It's no longer a hoologan.

I guess I am going to have to get used to this new personality as JLR certainly wouldn't put an older software version back on the car.

If the OP is reading this thread at least he can stop fretting there is something wrong wth his car.

Another data point I want to share - the fuel low light came on during my trip home at 56 miles to empty. It has always come on in the past at 30 miles. Clearly this software update is changing other parameters to do with the car programming.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Seemingly, the O2 Service Action for O2 sensor calibration is only for Bosch ECUs, on both the V6 and V8.

Here's the document he posted - its applies to the Powertrain Control Module. I would think this is different than where you tunes get stored?
ECU and PCM are different terms for the same box and definitely where the tune lives whether OEM or aftermarket.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-03-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by DJS

Intereting - the document says its applicable to all areas with the EXCEPTION of North America. I think a PCM is the ECU but also controls the transmission, so probably IS the device where the 'tune' information is stored.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Drove the entire journey home in dynamic / sport. Not a single burble or pop. The only way to produce then is with violent acceleration followed by a snap lift off. Clearly not a driving style to use on the roads.

Had the car always behaved like this I wouldn't know any different and would be happy. However as I have lived with it for 2 years with burbles, pops and cracks I am not happy. I feel the character and personality of the car is entirely different now. It's no longer a hoologan.

I guess I am going to have to get used to this new personality as JLR certainly wouldn't put an older software version back on the car.

If the OP is reading this thread at least he can stop fretting there is something wrong wth his car.

Another data point I want to share - the fuel low light came on during my trip home at 56 miles to empty. It has always come on in the past at 30 miles. Clearly this software update is changing other parameters to do with the car programming.
It might all come back after a couple hundred miles though, if the "learning" is true.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Mine has not had it that I am aware of and I'm beginning to think that I won't let them do it when it goes in for annual service. I don't want to risk it.