General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'85 XJ6 Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '85 XJ6 Electrical problems

(yeah, I know. These things tend to come standard on these models :-) ).

First problem (somewhat serious): reverse/back-up lights don't work. The bulbs on both sides are good. I would like to trace the wiring to see if there is a short or break. Or, could there be another cause. If I need to take it to a repair shop, I'd like to have some kind of diagnosis before. (Quick question: will these lights come on if the engine is not running?)

Second problem (irritating, but not serious): left turn indicator light on tachometer goes out after a few blinks; the actual turn signals work, it's just the internal light (oh yeah, the right indicator on the speedo works okay).

After pulling out the tach, and watching the bulb, I found that this light doesn't really go out - it just loses intensity (ie, less juice getting to it). If I move the wire bundle around, this light will continue to stay bright (but I need to restart the signal); when I move the tach back into its position, the light goes dim. Is there any way to easily trace this? Getting to the wiring through the hole for the tach is not easy (maybe for my neighbour's 8 yr old). And I really don't want to have to take off the dash - that's a major job - 3 to 4 hours for the repair shop, at $150/hr.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA

Old 04-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Might be better to get this transferred to the XJ Series 1, 2 & 3 1968-1986 forum, where the experts will get their teeth into it.

The following users liked this post:
daytooner (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Might be better to get this transferred to the XJ Series 1, 2 & 3 1968-1986 forum, where the experts will get their teeth into it.
How do I do that?

Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by daytooner
(yeah, I know. These things tend to come standard on these models :-) ).

First problem (somewhat serious): reverse/back-up lights don't work. The bulbs on both sides are good. I would like to trace the wiring to see if there is a short or break. Or, could there be another cause. If I need to take it to a repair shop, I'd like to have some kind of diagnosis before. (Quick question: will these lights come on if the engine is not running?)

Second problem (irritating, but not serious): left turn indicator light on tachometer goes out after a few blinks; the actual turn signals work, it's just the internal light (oh yeah, the right indicator on the speedo works okay).

After pulling out the tach, and watching the bulb, I found that this light doesn't really go out - it just loses intensity (ie, less juice getting to it). If I move the wire bundle around, this light will continue to stay bright (but I need to restart the signal); when I move the tach back into its position, the light goes dim. Is there any way to easily trace this? Getting to the wiring through the hole for the tach is not easy (maybe for my neighbour's 8 yr old). And I really don't want to have to take off the dash - that's a major job - 3 to 4 hours for the repair shop, at $150/hr.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA
Firstly , download the S57 wiring diagrams at the top of the XJ6 section, it will help you a lot in troubleshooting.

Reversing lights should be simple, either a blown fuse or a faulty/mal adjusted switch on the shifter would be likely causes. Engine doesnt have to be running but the ignition on (pos1 or 2)

Tacho I cant help as I havent been there. I would replace the bulb in any case just to know where I am at and to clearly rule it out to start with.

The mods will probably move this for you, or you could ask for it to be moved in the suggestion section.