General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Aftermarket warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket warranty

warranty on my 09 xkr has expired and I'm considering purchasing an extended warranty. There are a ton of company's to review. Narrowed it down to either the one offered through Jag or a company called CarCheck. What's everyone have to offer?

Old 02-28-2014, 10:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center to General Tech Help forum.

The Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center is for posts about the forum and not for technical questions.

Graham

Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you

Old 02-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Gmancuso, aftermarket warantees are a sour sweet deal as I see them. They are nice to have for that "just in case failure". But, at the same time, you can get effectively the same thing by simply putting away say $100 or $200 a month into a savings account so if a big bill comes up, you have the money standing by. So, unless you know something is going south on your car, my feeling is that getting an aftermarket warrantee is throwing money away. Sure, there are some people that can make out on something like this because it just so happens that they had a run of bad luck. But, if you look at it from an economic point of view, if every policy paid out more than it brought in, how are they still in business?

Being a hypocrite, I do have a car with an aftermarket warrantee. But, this was done for peace in the family and also to get the wife to drive a single car for more than 3 years as she feels that a car is about ready to fall apart if it isn't covered by some warrantee. In my case, it was a cost saving measure as I can now get rid of car payments for a few years while the warrantee is still in effect. So, in short, if you think it is a good idea, go for it. Otherwise, put some money away and save it for when you need it.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

I'll add my warranty experience.....When we purchased our '04 XJR new in July 03. I purchased the extended warranty as we generally keep our cars 10 years. I think it had a $500 deductible. As it ended, every repair we had during the extended warranty term was less than $500, thus, less than the deductible and as we all know they ain't cheap and still aren't!
Recently, while entertaining the purchase of an '08 XKR, my credit union offered an extended warranty plan. Their costs .......they started at $2600 for 2 years and 4 years at a shade over $5K. Also, we all know the normal "wear 'n tear" repairs are not covered. I think in the end, I'm not a fan and have a healthy AMX balance if needed.