General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I have bricked my XJR using a cloned Mongoose Pro adapter.
I am able to talk to and update other functions, just not the ECM

All advice indicates that while the Mongoose works mostly, it mostly fails when talking to the ECM.

The guidance then is to use the Rotunda VCM.
Now these are also avalable as clones.
e.g.
Amazon.com: New Rotunda Dealer IDS VCM V85 JLR V134: Automotive Amazon.com: New Rotunda Dealer IDS VCM V85 JLR V134: Automotive

Does anyone have any experience and confirmation as to what VCM models might work?
Any one in CA/Bayarea have one available?

Old 06-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ford vcm?

I have Jaguar IDS DVD 118.5 on my laptop. I also have a Ford VCM. When I try to use them together the IDS screen keeps saying to connect cables as shown. I assume there is different software for the Ford and Jaguar VCMs. If so, where can is get Jag VCM software?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
I just found another clone for $160....

Mongoose JLR - Jaguar & Land Rover Dealer Level Diagnostics & Programming

Sounds way too cheap, and they even offer you a username & password.

That's a little too dodgy for my liking...
until they shutdown lol

Old 09-12-2015, 02:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=xjrguy;555698]Well, now I'm a little confused.......

I never had the clear case, my first interface was blue, with a black cable and was called MongooseJLR. That's what Windows called it when it installed, and that's what the gateway manager installed with SDD/IDS called it. I'm in a habit of checking with support on all devices I have looking for updates, drivers, firmware, whatever I can find. After several months I saw the MongooseJLR relegated to "Discontinued Devices" and the MongoosePro JLR being available. I was sort of ticked and fired off an email to DrewTech Support. They answered that they would shortly have an updater, firmware and new drivers available to download and install to make my MongooseJLR a MongoosePro. A couple of weeks later they showed up, just like they said. I installed the updater and did the firmware update, then installed the new drivers and voila, I have a MongoosePro JLR.

Hello! I have this problem to. If not problematic for you, can you give me Updater for Mangoose JLR to Mangoose JLR Pro. Thank you very much.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Well, now I'm a little confused.......

They answered that they would shortly have an updater, firmware and new drivers available to download and install to make my MongooseJLR a MongoosePro. A couple of weeks later they showed up, just like they said. I installed the updater and did the firmware update, then installed the new drivers and voila, I have a MongoosePro JLR.

Cheers,
Hi, where I can find this firmware update for Mangoose JLR?

Old 09-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I do not have a problem running the JLR SDD product on my dedicated Windows XP laptop.

However I would like to upgrade the software to Pro.

The only "issue" I have had is not being able to actual dates of past DTCs listed. I just get blank spaces.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jackra_1
I do not have a problem running the JLR SDD product on my dedicated Windows XP laptop.

However I would like to upgrade the software to Pro.

The only "issue" I have had is not being able to actual dates of past DTCs listed. I just get blank spaces.
Hi jackra_1, if you cant see actual dates of pas DTCs listed, it is normal. Cause the DTCs code has been registrated now, and 2-4 ignition cycle needed for registration of date, time or distance.
What number version of SDD normaly works with Mangoose JLR?
What version of VDF file?

Old 09-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cibermozg
Hi jackra_1, if you cant see actual dates of pas DTCs listed, it is normal. Cause the DTCs code has been registrated now, and 2-4 ignition cycle needed for registration of date, time or distance.
What number version of SDD normaly works with Mangoose JLR?
What version of VDF file?
Hate to sound dumb but where do I find version numbers of SDD and VDF file?

I purchased in December of 2014 and if I remember the seller stated that I could get either of two cables mentioned.

I have a blue "plug" that obviously had a label affixed that had been removed.

Ok just found that I have V130. Actually dont see that upgrading to Pro would give me any benefit.

Last edited by jackra_1; 09-12-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:17 AM

Hate to sound dumb but where do I find version numbers of SDD and VDF file?

I purchased in December of 2014 and if I remember the seller stated that I could get either of two cables mentioned.

I have a blue "plug" that obviously had a label affixed that had been removed.

Ok just found that I have V130. Actually dont see that upgrading to Pro would give me any benefit.
Hi, you can find SDD and VDF version if you look at left lower side of screen.

How your device was detecting, like Mangoose JLR or like Mangoose JLR Pro? (look rigth lower side of screen when SDD working)

My Mangoose JLR has a problem. It was connected normaly. Read the VIN normaly , but next time it say me "VIN IS INCORRECT" and thats all. Diagnostic process is impossible with my device. I have Windows 7 on my Laptop.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

"Hi, you can find SDD and VDF version if you look at left lower side of screen.

How your device was detecting, like Mangoose JLR or like Mangoose JLR Pro? (look rigth lower side of screen when SDD working)".

This is what I have on screen:
DVD 130.03 V.109 MongoosePro JLR

In the icons top right it says activation required. What is this?

Also a box flashes up for a couple of seconds saying "enter dealer code and country code first"

Do I need to do this and if so how?

I also get a message saying "SDD software update has not been done so this ability has been turned off" or something like that.

I regard this ability as dangerous for someone like me to do so do not plan on doing this anyway.

I have had an email response from British Diagnostics about a Pro upgrade but neglected to state my model and year. So am awaiting a reply on that data. They did say no benefit if I have 2012 model year and above.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Another question here. If I have DTCs showing how do I know whether they are current or passed issues? I am particularly concerned with misfires on 3 cylinders.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:07 PM

"
This is what I have on screen:
DVD 130.03 V.109 MongoosePro JLR

In the icons top right it says activation required. What is this?

Also a box flashes up for a couple of seconds saying "enter dealer code and country code first"

Do I need to do this and if so how?

I also get a message saying "SDD software update has not been done so this ability has been turned off" or something like that.

I regard this ability as dangerous for someone like me to do so do not plan on doing this anyway.

I have had an email response from British Diagnostics about a Pro upgrade but neglected to state my model and year. So am awaiting a reply on that data. They did say no benefit if I have 2012 model year and above.
Hi,
1. You are lucky, you have the Mangoose JLR Pro version!!! Congratulation!
2. If you want to use SDD like official dealer you should to do activation
If you not need dealer access just don't do it
3. Every official dealer has specific identification code. If you now what code has dealer in your city you can enter the code and SDD will automatically connect to the JLR server.
4. Your SDDs update function is manually off
5. Its maybe true but I think its not to dangerous
6. your device can read the cars to 12 MY, its true. From 12 MY cars has different electronic equipment and has multiCAN digital networks. For this cars a new type of Mangoose needed.

Last edited by cibermozg; 09-15-2015 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 PM

Another question here. If I have DTCs showing how do I know whether they are current or passed issues? I am particularly concerned with misfires on 3 cylinders.
When you look at screen you see DTCs for example PCM:

number code - description- information for DTC - symbol like chain- stop frame-relevance

If you see symbol like chain and it looks like open chain, you see non-current DTC. If it looks like close chain, you see current and constant DTC.

What model of Jaguar do you have? What engine installed on you vehicle?

jackra_1 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 03:10 PM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts

Welcome to the forum cibermozg,

Don't forget your intro in the new members section, thanks!

Old 09-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cibermozg
When you look at screen you see DTCs for example PCM:

number code - description- information for DTC - symbol like chain- stop frame-relevance

If you see symbol like chain and it looks like open chain, you see non-current DTC. If it looks like close chain, you see current and constant DTC.

What model of Jaguar do you have? What engine installed on you vehicle?
Ok they are non-current from your description.

I have a 2005 Jaguar XJR Sport , X350 G41541 with a 4.2L SCAJ33 according to the JLR SDD readout.

Another interesting note is that I have added Jaguar Bluetooth and VACM modules and even tho they operate as they should the JLR SDD does not recognize them.

Before I did these JLR SDD diagnostics I reloaded the software as it had simply vanished from my laptop for whatever reason. The laptop had been sitting for several months unused.

I also had some error at one stage that would not go away and I had to restart the session.

Last edited by jackra_1; 09-15-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Welcome to the forum cibermozg,

Don't forget your intro in the new members section, thanks!
Ok. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2015, 03:01 PM

I have a 2005 Jaguar XJR Sport , X350 G41541 with a 4.2L SCAJ33 according to the JLR SDD readout.

Another interesting note is that I have added Jaguar Bluetooth and VACM modules and even tho they operate as they should the JLR SDD does not recognize them.

Before I did these JLR SDD diagnostics I reloaded the software as it had simply vanished from my laptop for whatever reason. The laptop had been sitting for several months unused.

I also had some error at one stage that would not go away and I had to restart the session.
Its cool car!! Its just monster when 4,2 sc was installed under the bonnet.
I think its last classical natural Jaguar with big letter J.
I know one small secret. The old diagnostic platform IDS will start if you click tabman.exe and diagnostic process will be easy.
The Mangoose JLR has a trouble time after time, its true. I think this device have not enough of internal operative memory.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Mongoose Cable broken - Can it be fixed?

After an electrical storm where we lost power, my British Diagnostics SDD JLR Mongoose cable no longer works.
No flashing light at ODB II side of cable.
No PC even recognizes that a USB is attached.
ObviouslyI blew a fuse, or something.

Any insight from you experts, before I crackit open to take a look?

Thanks

Old 09-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

My old Mongoose died on me and I'm looking for a new one. I noticed on several Chinese suppliers sites that the Mongoose Pro is mentioned as being V142 and it seems to be technically different having more / better voltage protectors. They also mention JLR 1.37 not being able to do offline programming. Does anybody know if this newer Pro still works with the older V130 software?

More specific the old ones number SP116 and the new one 205 or 205b, anyone knows the difference between the last two?

Guus

Ducmon (11-06-2016)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by tomfurie
After an electrical storm where we lost power, my British Diagnostics SDD JLR Mongoose cable no longer works.
No flashing light at ODB II side of cable.
No PC even recognizes that a USB is attached.
ObviouslyI blew a fuse, or something.

Any insight from you experts, before I crackit open to take a look?

Thanks
Hi! I think the electrical scheme was damaged inside your device. If you open the casing mongoose you will not see anything unusual. You need the repair technician electronics. Maybe the processor is damaged or just something resistor. To be honest I would have learned if I had time for it.

Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool