General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I'll stick to my Mongoose JLR at about a third of that!

Old 05-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Guys,

I've been havong sonme fun with these...

In addition to the full SDD IDS and Mongoose clone I have:

Proscan 5.9 through a standard ELM327 cable and Win 7 laptop and this works fine.
SCAN XL also through the standard ELM327 and Win 7 laptopand this works fine.
Torque though a bluetooth ELM327 and a Samsung S4 Active - again no worries, and
Dash Commander and a WiFi ELM327 through my iPhone - again all seems to be fine.

I have induced a few codes, read them all correctly and conducted a reset. Obviously these are powertrain codes only.

It is handy having the two smaller ELM327's (Bluetooth and WiFi) in the car as I will always have one of the phones with me. (They work in the wifes volvo as well!)

Ok, so I'm a bit of a geek!!

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
real22uu (08-14-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member

Have a look at live data as well, such as fuel trims

Old 05-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by DKurtti
Paid $215USD shipped.
That's not bad at all, considering the only option we've had available for a 'reasonable' amount of money has been the AutoEnginuity at $500. Any chance your program displays PID information for individual datastreams? We're trying to find out if the tranny oil temp can be programmed into Torque as a custom PID, and we need the hex code and equation.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

Which car's (gearbox's) TFT aka TOT did you want it for? There are a few of them!

Sounds like one of those dead threads where no-one followed up on my posts.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 xjs v12 6.0l

Can anyone recommend a code scanner for the 1995 jag xjs v12

Old 06-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, can the Foxwell owners comment. Does that unit allow bidirectional data? I understand the Autoenginuty can manipulate settings, would the Foxwell have the same capability or is it only a code reader? Reading their description am unable to ascertain.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Innova 3030f works fine on 1998 XK8.

Just purchased and used a Innova 3030f (CAN OBD II Diagnostic Tool), this worked fine on a 98-XK8.

I was able to read the ABS Control module failure codes (P-Codes) and the wheel sensor (C-codes). I was actually surprised as it gave me every code the Jag Garage gave me. (and it cost less than the visit to the Jag Garage).

Thermite (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 04:25 AM
Received 133 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobby
Innova 3030f works fine on 1998 XK8.

Just purchased and used a Innova 3030f (CAN OBD II Diagnostic Tool), this worked fine on a 98-XK8.

I was able to read the ABS Control module failure codes (P-Codes) and the wheel sensor (C-codes). I was actually surprised as it gave me every code the Jag Garage gave me. (and it cost less than the visit to the Jag Garage).
That "f" suffix must be significant.

2005 XJ8-L

I am UNABLE to see either of those ABS codes with sub-one-year-old (purchase-date anyway) Innova 3030, no suffix. It had otherwise been very helpful on engine codes. I do have the shop manuals and the code lists on an OpenBSD laptop already

Bedeviled with recurring issues (ABS & DSC lights and repeating status messages) after a front-hub change, was on the verge of buying a verdammt WinBox to move over to an ELM + software when I finally located an intermittency the old fashioned trial and error way.

Codes had to have been there, no? But the basic 3030 neither showed them, nor cleared them on a clear-ALL run.

Can anyone else confirm? I would have no heartburn upgrading to a better Innova - or any similar/better 'stand alone' device- if I can just continue to avoid that silly Windows software intercession.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-03-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

To add, I just saw 3030 listed in the first post, and purchased it. I guess I was lucky with the version I ended up with.

Looking at their website I see they have seperate manuals 7 and, 3030 models:

3030 - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030+ - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030a - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030b - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030c - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030e - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030f - CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool - Worked on 98 XK8

Also I at O'Reilly's where I purchased this they do not have a return policy so, if you opened it and, it doesn't work, you are out of luck. So it appears in hindsight I was lucky I didn't get burnt.

Thermite (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Received 133 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobby
To add, I just saw 3030 listed in the first post, and purchased it. I guess I was lucky with the version I ended up with.

Looking at their website I see they have seperate manuals 7 and, 3030 models:

3030 - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030+ - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030a - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030b - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030c - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030e - CanOBD2 Car Reader
3030f - CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool - Worked on 98 XK8

Also I at O'Reilly's where I purchased this they do not have a return policy so, if you opened it and, it doesn't work, you are out of luck. So it appears in hindsight I was lucky I didn't get burnt.
Just went to the Innova website and checked.
Sure enough right in the description of the 3030f sits:

Now features the ability to read, repair and erase anti-lock brake (ABS) codes on most popular, newer-model vehicles (GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota & Honda).
... soo.. it is a 'revision level' issue, and we are blessed to add "Jaguar', though who knows how many era and models - to that list. Most likely it is the (former, still yet?) Ford commonality.

Even at full retail, not that expensive, so I may just get a new 3030"f" rather than going to the more exotic and costly ones.

Heads-up for those buying through other channels, though. Earlier rev-levels must not have done the ABS system, or they'd not have added the "Now features" brag.

Thanks,

Last edited by Thermite; 07-04-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member

They've probably added ATE/Teves, which both Jaguar & Ford used a lot.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Innova/Equus 3030(f) worked great on my 2002 X-Type and allowed me to clear the "Engine Trouble" light. This scanner also worked on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Crewcab.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just recently bought an '07 XJ8L with 52K miles. I consider myself to be an advanced DIY'r and tend to keep my cars 5+ years so I'm not opposed to investing upwards of $1K for a diagnostic tool. In addition to reading the basic codes (CEL, ABS, Oil Reset) I want to be able to do basic coding for E-brake turn-off , Ride Height Cal, and Battery replacement cal.

I probably would have bought the Autoenginuity already but it can't do ride height cal and that's one issue I'm currently having with my car. I've read some favorable stuff about the X-431 Diagun but its difficult to really understand what it can do based on available web info. The IDS/SDD is the most complete solution but not available as a package.

Does this summary look correct? I had a nice table created but it didn't paste in well, sorry for format.

IDS & SDD (134.03 or older) & Mongoose - Ride Hgt/Y E -brake/Y Battery/Y
AutoEnginuity - Ride Hgt/N E -brake/Y Battery/Y
X-431 Diagun - Ride Hgt/Y E -brake/Y Battery/Y

Thanks, Jeff

Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not so sure Jag ride height can be adjusted/calibrated by any OBD diag tool.
Anyone know?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I just picked up my 'new' 2002 X-type, tried my UltraGauge out with it.

I had this from my Land Rover (Disco 2), for which the reader is a necessity. You'd just leave it plugged in and add another 3 dozen or so real-time gauges to the truck.

Did a dump and CEL clear prior to determining if I needed o2 sensors or new cats, you can watch both of the upstream and both of the downstream readers in real time. (need both downstreams, by the way).

HOWEVER...it seems that you cannot leave this device hooked up in real time! It wreaks havoc on the CANBus communications, and the car thinks that all hell is breaking loose...it started randomly throwing errors, DCS, gearbox fault, gauges went screwy. I think I'd been to Pink Floyd concerts with less colored lights happening.

Shut down, pull the unit, and all but the trans shift points are back to normal. Shifts are fast, but a little soft, and happen quick at light throttle from a stop. I figure a hard reset would fix them, but I'm going to my indie in two days to have everything read, so I'll leave it for now.

I also have serious doubts about the battery, at 4 years old, I'm just going to replace it for comfort's sake.

Anyway, in a word, UltraGauge is probably a no-go on the X-type.

Anybody have any other experiences?

Old 07-19-2014, 05:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the last 20 pages of posts but... don't leave your B/T device plugged in once you have finished using it. I left mine in my XK-100 and it drained the battery in a few days. Before that the car had been in storage for 6 weeks as we moved around for earthquake repairs without issue (long dive home so the car was fully charged once it arrived).

Wanted to use it today after a week of wet weather and could not. Very grumpy I was.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougcthr
Guys,

I've been havong sonme fun with these...

In addition to the full SDD IDS and Mongoose clone I have:

Proscan 5.9 through a standard ELM327 cable and Win 7 laptop and this works fine.
SCAN XL also through the standard ELM327 and Win 7 laptopand this works fine.
Torque though a bluetooth ELM327 and a Samsung S4 Active - again no worries, and
Dash Commander and a WiFi ELM327 through my iPhone - again all seems to be fine.

I have induced a few codes, read them all correctly and conducted a reset. Obviously these are powertrain codes only.

It is handy having the two smaller ELM327's (Bluetooth and WiFi) in the car as I will always have one of the phones with me. (They work in the wifes volvo as well!)

Ok, so I'm a bit of a geek!!

Cheers
I just wanted to program the "global close" on my S-Type without going to the dealer. I have read two years of posts on this thread and countless others as "NOrri" suggested with limited results. I ordered the ELM327 and it is on its way. But I still have no clue as to whether or not it will accomplish the task. Spending over 60.00 for the one shot is a bit much. Especially, when you are talking AE, etc. I have a laptop with Windows XP, and I understand the software with the ELM327 is "useless". So can anyone "gently" but specifically, give me an idea if this will fulfill the simple need?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts
Default OBD2 error code lists

I uploaded a list of the 2000 DTC OBD2 OBDII error codes to my server - if anyone needs to look something up. Its in PDF format. Hope it helps!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/szicsjmay...VlQhao7ff3MGja

Old 08-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

After some 2years and 400 posts ... is it getting time for a re-think on this topic? We have members with experience of tools at 3 levels ... the first 2 are aimed at the budget DIY end of the market; the 3rd level (until now) being at the professional tool and expensive end of the market. Here is how I now see it ...
  • The most basic OBDII tools (eg ELM327; U581; and many others ... I have the U581) are great for reporting DTCs (just like the S-Type's on-board ETM). In addition, they may (or may not) have the hardware but rarely, if ever, the software capability to work on anything beyond the P codes. Most tools can clear these and reset CEL etc. The short answer for Jerry asking if the ELM327 will perform programming for "global close" is "no" ... and "no" to programming, calibrating or resetting any other "beyond ECM" control modules ... eg lights levelling; trans adaptations; airbags; CATS and ride height ... and so on.
  • Next come the Mongoose clones; a combination of cable for connecting the car's OBDII port with a USB equipped laptop with a total diagnostic software package. Until very recently, even as the software version has extended from V131 to V138, reliable operation seems dependent on an underlying o/s of solely Win XP Pro and many contributors report a number of necessary "fiddles" with dates or version manipulations to accommodate pre and/or post 2005 models. This tool package can be purchased for less than US$50 from JLR Mangoose V138 for Jaguar.
  • Now comes the latest 2014 version of Mongoose clone ... along with an explosion of YouTube clips to lead us through software installation and use. This major update appears to be more s/w rather than h/w, but broadens the o/s options to include Vista and Win7; is now upgraded as the Mongoose PRO; and is now fully functional on a wide range of Jaguar models from 1999 to 2014. It can be purchased for less than US$90 from V138 JLR Mangoose Pro.
Fair summary? Beyond these, lie the group of tools (AE is an example) whose initial cost, need for paid subscription, or perceived complexity appears to push them beyond what may be seen as a universal low cost DIY tool. For me, choosing the upgraded V138 JLR Mangoose PRO was easy ... and supported by my excellent independent who is also following these developments, and has told me he is keen to acquire same tool. I have ordered and now await mine. Will report findings.
Best wishes,
Ken

The following 5 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
akka (08-23-2014), hafren (10-04-2014), jimgoose (08-25-2014), jmeres (12-16-2014), jonscot (08-22-2014)

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **