General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replace Alternator - now stuff works again

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replace Alternator - now stuff works again

My CPO warranty ended 2 months ago. For a few months before that I took in my 2010 XF to complain about the car lurching right before coming to a full stop at traffic lights and stop signs. I also complained about a shuddering effect when shifting from reverse to drive. I was basically told they couldn't find anything wrong. Next, the iPod stopped working properly. Finally, the overhead night light didn't work when a opened the door. Then last week the alternator went out. When I was driving the car, first I got the red battery warning, then ABS is out warning then a transmission fault warning. Then the car died. $1,506.21 later, I've got a new alternator. Now all those things that had previously gone out miraculously started working again. My question is, does that make sense that a new alternator could fix those problems? If so, I'm thinking my warranty should have covered the costs.

Thx for your input.

John

Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

More likely the big system reset to everything when they disconnected the power to do the alternator work may have helped sort a few things out. $1500 for an alternator changeover ? that's fairly breathtaking, they must be hard to get to.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum John,

An engine or transmission failure could be shown to have begun during the warranty period but an electrical issue is going to be very difficult to prove.

A fault in the battery monitoring system which monitors battery and alternator performance will set DTC's (Diagnosic Trouble Codes). These can be interrogated with dealer or equivalent level diagnostic equipment.

Given the vehicle history you describe, it is inconceivable that the dealer did not check error codes and an issue with the battery monitoring system would have shown up - if they looked for it.

The possibility of the alternator having failed during the now expired warrant period is remote as it's one of those components that is either working or not working. The only progressive failure scenario is the shaft bearing.

Alternator failure is unusual on modern Jaguars.

Replace Alternator - now stuff works again-alternator.jpg

Although this may look simple, the workshop manual replacment procedure requires removal of the RH engine mounting and the steering rack has to be released and moved aside. This goes some way to explaining the $1,506.21 for replacement.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 09-26-2016, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

$1500.00? I looked at my service manual and it doesn't seem to be all that big a job, just 6 steps. RHD would be more involved since to the steering shaft running would be running right past it.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had an alternator replaced on my 2012 XF...the part alone was $964 CDN with 2 hours labour for $290, $149 for diagnosis and don't forget HST of 13%...total came to $1612. i couldn't believe the price for the alternator...who knew there was such a thing as a water cooled alternator! Apparently it's cheaper by about $500 than one for a BMW.