S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a 2003 STR

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

You bring up a point I had to figure out!

When I first got the "R" it simply did not feel very quick or fast. But it was. I think it's just too quiet and smooth for a hot rod?

Old 01-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

It's called old world culture.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an 03 s type r,it has 103 thouzand on it,everythings in great shape xcept the rear bumper is scratched,it was owned by a Doctor & the Atlanta Braves rep,i have it now,super fast & handles well also🤓:

Old 01-31-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

I recently bid on a 2003 STR that was listed on E-bay by a seller in Florida. (Sky Motorworks, Florida - Daniel). It had a list of problems- 7 error codes, rough running engine. Car didn't sell because it didn't reach his reserve. I wrote the guy expressing my interest. Offered him $4K, he replies $4.5K and with shipping $5.5K. Car has 77K miles.
I became more serious and asked him a list of question about the car. Did he have a Car Fax printed I could see. (Could of saved $40 if he has one) Plus the same questions listed in this thread. This is what he wrote back:

Hello Joe,

I appreciate the interest but your not my buyer based on the "inspection" you would like me to do and the questions you are asking.

Thanks

Questions I asked:

Car questions:
1. What percent tire tread on the tires?
2. Can you tell me what brand and model tires?
3. Is the sun roof operational?
4. Any information if the coolant line below the supercharger hose has been changed?
5. Any information if the heater control valve has been changed? (Cracked/open seal covers)
6. Any information if the front tie rods have has been changed? (Cracked/open seal covers)
7. Any information if the rear toe rods have been changed? (Cracked/open seal covers)
8. Any information if the upper control arms have been changes? (Cracked/open seal covers)
9. Any indication that any of the lower control arm bushings have been changed? (Cracked/open seal covers)
10. Any indication that the plastic radiator reservoir has been changed?
11. Do the self leveling headlights work?
12. It sound like the engine is running, but is there extra rattling in the super charger snout or sounds coming out of the front of the engine?

He could have spent 20 -30 minutes looking over the car, snapping a few pictures and made a quick sale.

Makes me wonder if he is hiding something.
Now he has lost a potential customer plus anyone who reads this forum will not trust this
seller.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tijoe:
Datsports (02-01-2017), JagV8 (01-31-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe
I recently bid on a 2003 STR that was listed on E-bay by a seller in Florida. (Sky Motorworks, Florida - Daniel). It had a list of problems- 7 error codes, rough running engine. Car didn't sell because it didn't reach his reserve. I wrote the guy expressing my interest. Offered him $4K, he replies $4.5K and with shipping $5.5K. Car has 77K miles.
I became more serious and asked him a list of question about the car. Did he have a Car Fax printed I could see. (Could of saved $40 if he has one) Plus the same questions listed in this thread. This is what he wrote back:

Hello Joe,

I appreciate the interest but your not my buyer based on the "inspection" you would like me to do and the questions you are asking.

Thanks

Questions I asked:

Car questions:
1. What percent tire tread on the tires?
2. Can you tell me what brand and model tires?
3. Is the sun roof operational?
4. Any information if the coolant line below the supercharger hose has been changed?
5. Any information if the heater control valve has been changed? (Cracked/open seal covers)
6. Any information if the front tie rods have has been changed? (Cracked/open seal covers)
7. Any information if the rear toe rods have been changed? (Cracked/open seal covers)
8. Any information if the upper control arms have been changes? (Cracked/open seal covers)
9. Any indication that any of the lower control arm bushings have been changed? (Cracked/open seal covers)
10. Any indication that the plastic radiator reservoir has been changed?
11. Do the self leveling headlights work?
12. It sound like the engine is running, but is there extra rattling in the super charger snout or sounds coming out of the front of the engine?

He could have spent 20 -30 minutes looking over the car, snapping a few pictures and made a quick sale.

Makes me wonder if he is hiding something.
Now he has lost a potential customer plus anyone who reads this forum will not trust this
seller.
that does seem strange and some what dodgy !
there is nothing more dodgy than a car dealer that refuses to answer a few simple q's.

still seems cheep though .the long block is worth that if its any good .
if i were you , i'd just phone them up and maybe speak to him in person or speak to a different salesman . seems worth a long shot . they may read you better on the phone.

id think that pretty much the whole list you made will need some attention .
but who knows that may just save it. most of these old r's are up for sale due to the common weaknesses bout about by age . mainly vacuum leaks and dead sensors . all an easy fix for anyone in the know . with a substantial tool selection of course . good luck finding one thats perfect with good tires and a working sunroof for that price . it might be a long wait . after all who wants to sell a perfect running STR ?
these cars are addictive .

Old 02-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a typical car dealer. They don't know and don't care. They are selling widgets and you just ask too many damn questions!

Old 02-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

He must not have any other suckers, I mean prospective buyers, so he said he will answer my questions. I can't wait...

Old 02-02-2017, 01:41 AM

I officially booked the tickets to head out and view the STR friday morning. Im excited and hopefully I can buy it. After i take it to a local shop for inspection ill purchase the car. Probably service it there and head to the dmv to get some paper work sorted. I have everything mapped out and planned so hopefully it turns our good for me. Ill keep you guys updates. Worst case senario im down like 400 dollars. Dmv is 10 mins from the shop .. owner is 12 mins from the shop.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:10 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Good luck but keep calm and remember that these cars can be more expensive than a girlfriend/mistress .
and be careful when you drive it home or you will be able to map your journey by the speeding tickets.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

And don't forget just about every problem is on this forum.
So you won't be alone!

Last edited by clubairth1; 02-02-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 PM

I just looked at the vehicle, there were several things that was wrong. 1st it had very little motor oil, 2nd it had 4 codes 1 for multiple misfire, cylinder 4 and 5 misfire, and injector misfire. It was also low on antifreeze which made me think that the car needed either a head gasket or serious engine work. .. smh o well ill keep looking, he offered 3k but i still refused due to the fact the car appears to be burning oil i offered 2k and would definitely not be able to drive it in the condition its in

Old 02-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I think you've made a lot of large assumptions and come to an unusual conclusion.

If you're still near the car, top up the fluids, erase the codes and go for a long ride. See what happens. You might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tires
I just bought an 03 s type r,it has 103 thouzand on it,everythings in great shape xcept the rear bumper is scratched,it was owned by a Doctor & the Atlanta Braves rep,i have it now,super fast & handles well also🤓:

Congrats !! Good choice.
Welcome to the forum and please pop in the new members section to introduce yourself?
Plenty of very good advice here.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Bone dry... has to be a reason why.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

I pulled the trigger today and committed to buy the STR that I complained on this thread a couple days ago.
This didn't make the wife very happy purchasing STR #3. Body and interior are in excellent condition. I am a little worried about the ignition coil code problem, and hope it isn't masking a timing chain problem or overheated engine. It will take a couple weeks to get it shipped to me. I suppose its a crap shoot. I could be getting another money pit, or luck out, time will tell. I suppose it could make a good parts car, or expensive boat anchor.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

A car is a car. Unless it's an STR. What the heck is it about these things anyway? Is it that one can be had for 1/20 the original MSRP; is it cool to scare your friends on a double date by punching it on the way to dinner; watch that blue and white propeller badge dwindle in the rear view mirror?

Old 02-03-2017, 06:18 PM

rexnyc - my sympathies. been there done that and it's best to walk away if you're feeling that pit of the stomach feeling. my old man always said "there's always another car".

Old 02-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexnyc

Bone dry... has to be a reason why.
What was the owner's explanation?

Old 02-03-2017, 06:50 PM

He had no explanation.. said he knows nothing about cars. Clearly if the motor is missing that much oil theres has to be some kind of damage from the lack of oil and some kind of ring or valve seal leaks. No need to spend extra money on the car doing a compression test. Waste of time. Especially if i need it to drive 600 miles. If anyone else is selling a STR please let me know. It sounded like something was grinding. No knock or lifter noise but it didnt sound good.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rexnyc
He had no explanation.. said he knows nothing about cars. Clearly if the motor is missing that much oil theres has to be some kind of damage from the lack of oil and some kind of ring or valve seal leaks. No need to spend extra money on the car doing a compression test. Waste of time. Especially if i need it to drive 600 miles. If anyone else is selling a STR please let me know. It sounded like something was grinding. No knock or lifter noise but it didnt sound good.
where are you? I called dealer on this one. it looked good from pics. carfax got the wrong mileage.

http://aaamotorcars.com/cars/Used/20...TYPE/R/2531307

Last edited by jagstuart; 02-03-2017 at 07:09 PM.