US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

1997 xj6 rough idle help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 xj6 rough idle help

New to this forum and hopeful for help from some jag owners. I own a 97 xj6; 3rd owner and have had it for 8 years. 87k miles on it now. The car has never had an issue until recently. Four (yes four) local mechanics claiming to know jags have wasted time and money on an engine light (at times blinking which I know is very bad). One suggested a new motor and another had the car for a week and never looked at it because he was nervous about working on jags (WTF). Let's start with original codes:
P1313 and P1314, P0300 and oxy sensor codes. After learning what the local "pros" had to offer, I had to start learning myself asap and do repairs or replacements of items believed to lead to such rough idle, failed emissions and surging issues when driving. The following have been done and at the end of the day - I still have rough idle and codes P0300 (random misfire) and P1314 (catalyst failure). I was also getting p1313 before so at least the codes are decreasing. Here goes and as you will see I'm essentially throwing new parts at an unidentified root-cause issue hoping to get lucky as it seems the local pros would be doing the same thing. This is at least is saving me labor, but it is painful just the same with such limited results.

- New cats (w/maf)
- 4 new oxy sensors
- New plugs (champions) and coils,also put old plugs back to see what if..
- New EGR valve
- New crank position sensor
- New gas cap (just in case - who knows!)
- New temp sensing unit
- 3M Fuel injection treatment
- New fuel filter
- Fresh gas

My next step is air idle control valve and as for vac leaks - can someone clue me in as to which ones I need to look for? I'm tempted to also bring it somewhere for off-the-car fuel injection service to be sure they are clean. Any help is appreciated. There was one local jag mechanic which seemed to be the most worthy of the four but insisted on using Jag direct parts only. He would have started with cats and Jag direct cats as quoted by him were $9600 for parts alone. I could not go that route but can appreciate why he likes Jag direct parts for quality and fitment. As a last resort I contacted a Jag dealer and asked if I could speak to the tech likely to get the job of working on this year jag. I wanted to get a feel if this person would be any better than the other mechanics. Never did get that call back so that tells me to stay clear from a dealer unless I have a few grand more to burn. Thank you.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Try the below link for more help...

Hi - Although you may get some answers here, the USA North East group is really used more for exchange of regional info like car show meet ups etc. If you really want the best technical help for your specific Jag then you need to navigate to the forum established for your specific Jag and Model Year and ask your question there.

To get there, click on the below link and look for the group that contains your specific model and year. That group will be populated by experienced Jag owners, many of whom may have had the same problems as you and will probably be eager to share their experiences and possible solutions.

If you live in the North East USA, by all means please do continue to check in with the North East USA group as well, as there are lots of great members here.

Good luck with your issues. Click the below link to, hopefully, get you pointed in the right direction to finding the help you're looking for.
Steve

Jaguar Models ( Modern ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following users liked this post:
greenxj (07-28-2014)