X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Shake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Shake?

I've owned my 04, 3.0, X-Type for 6 years. Got it with 27k and have 81k on it now.

The whole time I've owned it I've had a brake shake. Sometimes worse than others. Sometimes not there, sometimes RIGHT there. Seems to be worse when the brakes are hot but not always. The brakes work (stop) fine, just the shake-thing. I feel it in the wheel, pedal, passengers feel it.

I got the vehicle with the OEM pads and rotors, shook. Did slotted rotors and Green Stuff pads, same. Unslotted rotors with Red Stuff pads last summer, shakes. Basically feels I'm out of options on rotor/pad combinations as even breaking the new parts in slowly and correctly yields the same results.

I've been through the factory Conti tires, Michelin, more Contis, back to different Michelin and the same. Tires rotated, balanced, and aligned regularly.

Any thoughts? If I had to guess, I'd say it felt more front than back but hard to say as vibration travels pretty well through AWD.

Thanks in advance!!

Dave

Old 04-26-2016, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Duncan2004
I've owned my 04, 3.0, X-Type for 6 years. Got it with 27k and have 81k on it now.

The whole time I've owned it I've had a brake shake. Sometimes worse than others. Sometimes not there, sometimes RIGHT there. Seems to be worse when the brakes are hot but not always. The brakes work (stop) fine, just the shake-thing. I feel it in the wheel, pedal, passengers feel it.

I got the vehicle with the OEM pads and rotors, shook. Did slotted rotors and Green Stuff pads, same. Unslotted rotors with Red Stuff pads last summer, shakes. Basically feels I'm out of options on rotor/pad combinations as even breaking the new parts in slowly and correctly yields the same results.

I've been through the factory Conti tires, Michelin, more Contis, back to different Michelin and the same. Tires rotated, balanced, and aligned regularly.

Any thoughts? If I had to guess, I'd say it felt more front than back but hard to say as vibration travels pretty well through AWD.

Thanks in advance!!

Dave
Could be several things.
Wheel bearings
Tie rod ends
Balljoints
Strut mounts
With such low milage it should be somewhat easy to pinpoint,
Certainly sounds like the pads/rotors and tires are not at fault.
With the milage im betting either wheel bearing or tie rod end.
Any uneven wear patterns on your tires?

The following users liked this post:
Duncan2004 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Feel your pain Duncan, going through a similar process on my X358, see thread here....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...issues-158692/

I've replaced front n rear suspension components as a matter of course, they were either needing done or coming due anyway.
I've had several sets of replacement discs and pads ( mostly under warranty ) and the issue remains.

New tyres were fitted, they were needed anyway and obviously carefully balanced and tracked at the same time.
New front hubs incl wheel bearings were done as well as the main banana arm bushes 2 years and 30k miles later, still the issue remains.

The calipers were thoroughly checked and rear slider pins found to be seized, these were loosened off and certainly made a difference, now felt through the front and steering wheel only, issue still remains

I'm now looking at checking and rebuilding the front calipers with a seal kit and new pistons to see if I have a sticking caliper?

It feels like a grab, let go, grab, let go. grab, let go effect when braking gently at low speeds. At higher speeds the steering wheel shakes violently!
After this is done, I may also consider getting the discs skimmed on the car and see what happens from there.....

It's really ruining the experience
Jim

The following users liked this post:
Duncan2004 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You might want to remove and clean the ABS sensors and while you are in there do a visual inspection of the reluctor rings for damage. You may be feeling the abs trying to actuate when not needed.