Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan removal help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:02 AM
Xer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan removal help

Hello, I need to replace the cooling fans on my 02 x type but can't really find a good YouTube video. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Old 09-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The procedure for the removal of the fans is the same as removal of the radiator. You need to remove the air cleaner assembly for access. I would also remove the battery and battery box. Once all of the hoses are disconnected and removed you will need to place some straps on the a/c condenser to support it during the removal.
You will need to raise the vehicle off the ground with a sufficient height for the radiator to clear. Once raised and supported you will need to remove the splash guard from the bumper assembly and then remove the cooling module support beam holding up the radiator. Make sure to have straps holding the radiator in place while removing the support beam. once the beam is removed the cooling module (radiator/fan assembly) can be lowered using the temporary straps.
Once the assembly is out you can dismount the fans. The installation is the reverse.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

avern1, I remove the cooling fan from the top without remove the radiator; After removed the air box, radiator hoses and every things in the space between engine and cooling fan, unplug the wire from the fan, now stand in front of the car graft the fan shroud pull it up hard and push it back toward the engine, it held by four clips that built in both side of the radiator, when it came off from the clips, work its way out, replace in reverse is a little bit trickier but you will find the way.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried and Failed

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
avern1, I remove the cooling fan from the top without remove the radiator; After removed the air box, radiator hoses and every things in the space between engine and cooling fan, unplug the wire from the fan, now stand in front of the car graft the fan shroud pull it up hard and push it back toward the engine, it held by four clips that built in both side of the radiator, when it came off from the clips, work its way out, replace in reverse is a little bit trickier but you will find the way.
I gave this method a try on a 2006 x-type we have here without much success. I suppose I could have tried harder, but I was afraid of breaking the piping leading into the water pump. Is there something I'm not doing?
I actually was doing so because I was having trouble removing the heat shield over the cat that needs replaced btw.