XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

2017 XE...To Black Out Or Not To Black Out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool 2017 XE...To Black Out Or Not To Black Out?

From Inland Empire,California...Ok so I got my Jaguar XE about 4 months ago & did small upgrades on it so far mostly for interior protection 1st which was still costly so my new plan is to get the black Grill, side Vents and mirror covers black pack because I like the look but also thought about powder coating my rims black to go along with the aggressive look. but after paying nearly $5,000 for the propeller rims & tires not sure weather I wanna powder coat the rims not sure how they would look but I do like how the other black pack parts look on the car so any feedback? might look good? might look bad? should I even mess with the rims after I paid that much? some of my thoughts so far...just unsure posted a few pics of my silver Jag & rims

Attached Thumbnails 2017 XE...To Black Out Or Not To Black Out?-jaguar-xe.jpg   2017 XE...To Black Out Or Not To Black Out?-fullsizerender-1-.jpg   2017 XE...To Black Out Or Not To Black Out?-img_2314.jpg   2017 XE...To Black Out Or Not To Black Out?-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 12-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I think your car looks great the way it is. My car is the same color but with Templar wheels. The propellers look amazing in with Rhodium Silver.

Seems like you've spend several grand already so I would not recommend blacking them out since a) it is an additional expense b) market value of those rims will decrease. But again it is your car so you know better.

I would recommend blacking out windows if it is allowed in CA. That would give a new "blacked out" look to your car and would look much more effective in my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
Areanna (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Thanks & Yes, my windows are Limo tint all the way around...windows look good but cant see out at night LoL the price you pay for looks!

Old 12-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Hi. I wouldnt touch the rims, they are my favorite of the XE options, and look classier with the 2 tone. I have the 2 tone venoms on our XE which I think look better than fully black, and fully black centrifuge on my F type, to tell you the truth I think the fully black wheels dont do as much justice to the car especially where there are a lot of spokes.

I'd have a crack at wrapping the front brake blade in gloss black, though. I tried to on my wife's XE but she caught me doing it and I was banned from further wrap on the car (I'd already wrapped the side sills and the bit of the front spolier in the middle).

Fair2 (12-03-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Hi. I wouldnt touch the rims, they are my favorite of the XE options, and look classier with the 2 tone. I have the 2 tone venoms on our XE which I think look better than fully black, and fully black centrifuge on my F type, to tell you the truth I think the fully black wheels dont do as much justice to the car especially where there are a lot of spokes.

I'd have a crack at wrapping the front brake blade in gloss black, though. I tried to on my wife's XE but she caught me doing it and I was banned from further wrap on the car (I'd already wrapped the side sills and the bit of the front spolier in the middle).
When you say wrap what does that mean? Like painted?

Old 12-02-2016, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I would leave as is... Or buy the black 19" wheels as a 2nd set.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Car wrap, like the 3M film. I use it quite a bit because it is reversible. I just had the sills on the f type professionally wrapped (I couldnt do it myself because of the shape), it costs bugger all and it took about a half hour. If you dont like it you just feel it off.

mosesbotbol (12-04-2016)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Areanna
From Inland Empire,California...Ok so I got my Jaguar XE about 4 months ago & did small upgrades on it so far mostly for interior protection 1st which was still costly so my new plan is to get the black Grill, side Vents and mirror covers black pack because I like the look but also thought about powder coating my rims black to go along with the aggressive look. but after paying nearly $5,000 for the propeller rims & tires not sure weather I wanna powder coat the rims not sure how they would look but I do like how the other black pack parts look on the car so any feedback? might look good? might look bad? should I even mess with the rims after I paid that much? some of my thoughts so far...just unsure posted a few pics of my silver Jag & rims
There is a very easy and cheap solution to your problem I am actually planning to do the same to mine. Having said that not sure I would be doing it if I had your wheels but perhaps I would. What you should do is Plastidip your wheels in black color. It will only cost you about $30 for all four wheels and it is very easy to remove if you do not like it. You can actually use the spray to black out your grill and panels. Just search for plastidip on youtube.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Areanna,

Why did it cost $5k for the wheels? I have the same ones and it was only a $1k option.

And what tires are on yours exactly? I got the Pirelli Scorpions that came on mine and yours look different.

I think your car looks perfect with the color combo you have with those wheels! But if you are going to black out those items mentioned I would only black out the dark frosted color of the wheels and leave the shiny machined part alone o the wheels. That would contrast nicely.

The following 2 users liked this post by BigCat09:
Areanna (01-16-2017), mosesbotbol (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
But if you are going to black out those items mentioned I would only black out the dark frosted color of the wheels and leave the shiny machined part alone o the wheels. That would contrast nicely.
Agreed

Old 01-16-2017, 03:52 PM

Areanna,

Why did it cost $5k for the wheels? I have the same ones and it was only a $1k option.

And what tires are on yours exactly? I got the Pirelli Scorpions that came on mine and yours look different.

I think your car looks perfect with the color combo you have with those wheels! But if you are going to black out those items mentioned I would only black out the dark frosted color of the wheels and leave the shiny machined part alone o the wheels. That would contrast nicely.
When I purchased the XE is originally came with 17" rims so I bought the propeller rims separately from the Jaguar Dealerships which they are priced $1,000 +Tax each rim & no tires included...I was told the sport model has a different front end than the other models so with that being said the sport model also has a bigger wheel well area so the 20" propeller wheels & a thick enough tire can fit with inches to spare...I don't have the sport model so I have a smaller wheel well area & I had to get thinner stretched tires with very little gap space (which was what I actually was trying to do anyways) for a more sport look but when I purchased the rims for $4,000 + tax for all 4 rims I had to still get tires so that was another $600 & they are offset just how their supposed to be...my tires are a more fitted look with very little gap compared to the sport model with a thicker tire & has more of a gap space

Last edited by Areanna; 01-16-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added words
Old 01-16-2017, 03:54 PM

When I purchased the XE is originally came with 17" rims so I bought the propeller rims separately from the Jaguar Dealerships which they are priced $1,000 +Tax each rim & no tires included...I was told the sport model has a different front end than the other models so with that being said the sport models also has a bigger wheel well area so the 20" propeller wheels & a thick enough tire can fit with inches to spare...I don't have the sport model so I have a smaller wheel well area & I had to get thinner stretched tires with very little gap space (which was what I actually was trying to do anyways) for a more sport look but when I purchased the rims for $4,000 + tax for all 4 rims I had to still get tires so that was another $700 & they are offset just how their supposed to be...my tires are a more fitted look compared to the sport model with a thicker tire & has more of a gap space also
wow, almost could have purchased the sport model for the extra money.

mosesbotbol (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 03:56 PM

alternatively you could have gone to a wheel/tire place and get probably nicer rims and tires for 1k -2k at most.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 PM

They didn't have any in stock & the next one which was ordered was arriving in 2 months & it was Red & I didn't want Red so to be honest it was my Birthday & I had just turned 28 & I was so excited to get a new car I just kind of rushed before looking more into the models because they didn't have many in the 1st place there anyways & I went from a Honda to a jaguar so just having more of a luxurious car was a big deal to me & yea now I could have waited but then again I got a pretty low payment so I'm happy with my car & how it looks now it costs a little more doing it that way but I guess I saved on the payment & interest

Old 01-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Yeah I looked into a few high brand rims but no one had them in stock & no one would order any expensive rims unless you purchased the rims but also another 3 months because that's considered a custom order & what if I got them & the rims looked nicer in the picture but ugly on the car...then I was told I couldn't return any custom orders from several shops so I knew for sure the propeller rims looked good on the car & the weight of the propeller rims were gonna be more lighter than any after stock rims so I did personally like the propeller rims in the 1st place so I just went with them...but I still plan on getting some after stock black rims as a 3rd pair Soon

Old 01-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

When I purchased the XE is originally came with 17" rims so I bought the propeller rims separately from the Jaguar Dealerships which they are priced $1,000 +Tax each rim & no tires included...I was told the sport model has a different front end than the other models so with that being said the sport model also has a bigger wheel well area so the 20" propeller wheels & a thick enough tire can fit with inches to spare...I don't have the sport model so I have a smaller wheel well area & I had to get thinner stretched tires with very little gap space (which was what I actually was trying to do anyways) for a more sport look but when I purchased the rims for $4,000 + tax for all 4 rims I had to still get tires so that was another $600 & they are offset just how their supposed to be...my tires are a more fitted look with very little gap compared to the sport model with a thicker tire & has more of a gap space
I like your taste and thinking as I had to have the Jaguar 2-'s if I was buying the XE. I feel it just made the car perfect for my needs and looks. I didn't want any aftermarket wheels with this car so I felt these propellers were the best choice!

I also didn't know about the front end being bigger i the wheel wells from the different models trims, thanks for the info.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:50 PM

They didn't have any in stock & the next one which was ordered was arriving in 2 months & it was Red & I didn't want Red so to be honest it was my Birthday & I had just turned 28 & I was so excited to get a new car I just kind of rushed before looking more into the models because they didn't have many in the 1st place there anyways & I went from a Honda to a jaguar so just having more of a luxurious car was a big deal to me & yea now I could have waited but then again I got a pretty low payment so I'm happy with my car & how it looks now it costs a little more doing it that way but I guess I saved on the payment & interest
well as long as your are happy .... I still cant believe they actually charge 1k per wheel.... is this how much these wheels go for an upgrade on Jaguar?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

I know the most expensive wheels they offer is the 19' black Venoms at $755 so I can see the 20's costing nearly $1k.

I don't see the 20's offered for sale o the site though?

Jaguar USA Gear Online Catalogue. - XE - WHEELS & WHEEL ACCESSORIES - WHEELS - Alloy Wheel - 19" Venom 5 twin-spoke, with Gloss Black finish, Rear

Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 PM

I know the most expensive wheels they offer is the 19' black Venoms at $755 so I can see the 20's costing nearly $1k.

Jaguar USA Gear Online Catalogue. - XE - WHEELS & WHEEL ACCESSORIES - WHEELS - Alloy Wheel - 19" Venom 5 twin-spoke, with Gloss Black finish, Rear
wow, I guess I am just the poorest Jaguar owner around I could never bring myself to spend that kind of money on wheels.... Especially knowing there are so many other options out there for a lot less..... but then again I am the type of buyer that can wait a year for a deal to save money.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:27 PM

They are not offered on the site yet I was told but if you call or walk into the dealership they will let you know the price & their a bit different from front to back because their staggered so 2" difference but also the dealership will tell you for sure their computer shows they will not fit so they do not recommend you buy the rims...but it's wrong because they fit well & do not rub...the rims took 3 days to get to the dealership after I did pay for them