XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Tire Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tire Pressures

How do you personally set your car tire pressures? To the 43 Front/48 Rear or to the 35 Front/35 Rear as shown in your Tire Pressures in the display?

I know the tire placard shows the 43/48 PSI rating, but that also shows for heavy loads in the display. Light loads are shown to be 35/35. The higher pressures bring a firmer ride, of course but has anyone thought about how lower pressures will affect wear?

I have Pirelli tires with the 20" Venom wheels with255/35R20/XL 97H

They are rated at 500Treadwear! Wow!

Old 07-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
How do you personally set your car tire pressures? To the 43 Front/48 Rear or to the 35 Front/35 Rear as shown in your Tire Pressures in the display?

I know the tire placard shows the 43/48 PSI rating, but that also shows for heavy loads in the display. Light loads are shown to be 35/35. The higher pressures bring a firmer ride, of course but has anyone thought about how lower pressures will affect wear?

I have Pirelli tires with the 20" Venom wheels with255/35R20/XL 97H

They are rated at 500Treadwear! Wow!

My old XF was 35/35 so I asked them to do the same with the new one before the car even arrived. When I got home all four tire pressure warning lights were on, including dashboard warning lights. Since the tires are filled with nitrogen I went back to the dealer and they set them to 43/48 and now everything is fine.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by steves1101
My old XF was 35/35 so I asked them to do the same with the new one before the car even arrived. When I got home all four tire pressure warning lights were on, including dashboard warning lights. Since the tires are filled with nitrogen I went back to the dealer and they set them to 43/48 and now everything is fine.
You have the option to set the TPMS to whatever pressure is allowed, either the 35/35 or 43/48. The setting to change the TPMS is in the display and you set it to monitor light load or heavy load. If you set it to light load, the 35/35 will not trigger the warnings.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:18 PM

I actually don't notice any difference between the two!

Old 07-17-2016, 12:54 PM

I always set 3 more psi on front tires than rear bcoz front steering tires side treads get burned down from making turns or cutting corners. For example, if the car side panel says 33 psi all around. I will do 33 in rear and 36 psi in the front. The ride feels better all around and tires get runned down more evenly.

The side panel shows the safe amount but you could get away with 2-3 more psi in tires all around and or just in front. Dealers seems think so as well they always put 2-3 more psi in my tires.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Watch the wear pattern across all four tires... usually, if you set pressure at mid 40's with a light load, you will wear the centre of the tire first and it won't corner as well. With this lower load most cars with 20" wheels need mid to higher 30's to wear correctly. Lower is usually defined as up to 3 people total and a suitcase.

Best is to have the wear fairly even across the tread... too low a pressure and the outsides wear first etc.
Lawrence.

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 10:45 PM

Thanks. This is my first Jag so it seems rather strange to have the two different pressures. The door placard says on thing and the display shows two.

In other vehicles I ran 2-3 psi above the suggested pressure with good wear. Of course those pressures were 35-38 psi with the norm being 32-35.

I will try about 38 all around and see if there is a wear difference.

Thanks again

Old 10-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Watch the wear pattern across all four tires.... Best is to have the wear fairly even across the tread....
+1 I'm starting at 35 all around and watching the wear. I'll rotate them every 5K miles as well. I'll go with the lowest pressure that gives me even wear because that will increase the ride comfort and reduce the noise over road imperfections. Setting tire pressures for anything other than wear is a guess at best.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
Thanks. This is my first Jag so it seems rather strange to have the two different pressures. The door placard says on thing and the display shows two.

In other vehicles I ran 2-3 psi above the suggested pressure with good wear. Of course those pressures were 35-38 psi with the norm being 32-35.

I will try about 38 all around and see if there is a wear difference.

Thanks again
I just received my 2016 Jag XFAWD Prestige. I will set the pressures to 35/35 as just my wife and I ride in it. 43/48 is for heavier load. Door plaque is misleading IMHO. I will reset the TPMS accordingly.
AL

Old 10-12-2016, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
+1 I'm starting at 35 all around and watching the wear. I'll rotate them every 5K miles as well. I'll go with the lowest pressure that gives me even wear because that will increase the ride comfort and reduce the noise over road imperfections. Setting tire pressures for anything other than wear is a guess at best.
My suggestion is NOT to rotate your tires--ever. Jaguar here plus BMW do not recommend it. Tires wear in for each wheel anyway. Plus my car is set for Light Load and has 35 all round. Door should show both light and GMVW of 43/48. I call up Menu and check ACTUAL tire pressures and adjust according as I had to do when I got the car last week and the pressures were different on every tire.
Al

Old 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BCJAG
My suggestion is NOT to rotate your tires--ever. Jaguar here plus BMW do not recommend it. Tires wear in for each wheel anyway. Plus my car is set for Light Load and has 35 all round. Door should show both light and GMVW of 43/48. I call up Menu and check ACTUAL tire pressures and adjust according as I had to do when I got the car last week and the pressures were different on every tire.
Al
The only reasons I think are valid for not rotating tires is if they are directional or staggered.

Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions

Old 10-17-2016, 11:13 AM

The only reasons I think are valid for not rotating tires is if they are directional or staggered.

Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions
Well it depends on the car ie fwd or rwd and of course if tires are wearing unevenly it helps to rotate. My former BMW never had tires problems and only had one wheel alignment.

The real value that comes from rotating your tires is that when the tires wear unevenly, rotating the tires spreads the wear out more evenly on each tire as well, as over the set.(note as quoted by tire 'expert')

I really don't know what Jaguar recommends.
AL

Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Fabulous!

Old 10-17-2016, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BCJAG
Well it depends on the car....I really don't know what Jaguar recommends.....

What you really won't know even if they give you a recommendation is .....why? "It's better for the car" doesn't count. Manufacturers differ on advising tire rotation but I've never been given a satisfactory answer behind their decision. Personally I think it has to do with the fact that they don't want to spend the time doing it and they don't want you to do it because you could make a mistake that causes problems. Otherwise I can't think of a single reason not to (other than the obvious [directional tires & staggered]). Can you (or anyone)?

Old 10-18-2016, 02:46 PM

What you really won't know even if they give you a recommendation is .....why? "It's better for the car" doesn't count. Manufacturers differ on advising tire rotation but I've never been given a satisfactory answer behind their decision. Personally I think it has to do with the fact that they don't want to spend the time doing it and they don't want you to do it because you could make a mistake that causes problems. Otherwise I can't think of a single reason not to (other than the obvious [directional tires & staggered]). Can you (or anyone)?
I guess it is like the debate over oil changes. I always use synthetic which lengthens the oil change period. The Japanese car makers seem to want your car for service at least 2 times a year. Jaguar once. The one which baffles me is the txn. BMW says NEVER to change the txn oil. I don't know about Jaguar. I can envision a txn full of metal shavings and eventually clogging up the system. But that might be just me being pessimistic and older as we certainly changed the oil(non synthetic) AND txn much sooner in the old days. No dip sticks to check anything nowadays. The car tells us what to do, when and how!!!
AL