XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Driver door latch freezes, can open but not close

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Driver door latch freezes, can open but not close

I noticed this a few times now and I have been looking for instructions on how to apply lubricant, wd-40 or graphite or similar, since it does not seem to help a lot just spraying a bit on the latch itself...

Just by the latch there is a plastic plug, maybe that is the way in for additional oil? Or could on apply it from outside with the door handle pulled out? Do I need to get a longer tube for the spray can and insert it further in via latch?

Usually I can close the door after a minute or so, car warms up, but I would like to find a permanent solution to this. Seen tips about warm water, but I do not have it in the garage and I use the car to go to work every day, regardless of weather.

Any tips, the weather is getting colder in the next few days, down to below 15 C where I live (Sweden) .

Last edited by Aincite; 01-04-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Had the exact same issue with the door handle not opening properly this week. The fix is to take off the door handle and lubricate it. There's a tsb on this.

The following users liked this post:
Aincite (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 02:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, but TSB? I am about to write to my Dealer about this as a warranty issue, but the weather has not been cold enough to show it...
Ah, Technical Service Bulletin...

Right now, as I write this, all four door handles have issues, the drivers door could be opened and closed, and the not reopened, the passenger door could be opened, but "bounced" upon closing, so I had to push to the body to be able to close the car again... passenger rear doors similar. I have applied some WD-40 but not sure if it will have any effect, no immediate effect anyhow, waiting a bit. Fortunately I am still on vacation and we have another car, so not an emergency as such right now. Will perhaps have to resort to "warm water fix" later.

Last edited by Aincite; 01-05-2017 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes technical service bulletin. It's about 20 minutes of labour (per door) at the dealer to get this done. They have a kit with the required lubricant and cleaning agent. If the car is under warranty definitely get the dealer to sort it out.