XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

How to tell what map version I have

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts
Default How to tell what map version I have

Hello everybody.

I've just purchased a 2012 XF Supercharged and want to find out what version of navigation map is loaded into the hard drive. The dealer tells me it's the latest version (but no specific info) but the area around my home is unpopulated (blank). I know the roads have been there for at least 2 years hence my doubt that the information I've been given is correct. When I look on the Jaguar website I see there is a Gen 2.1 2013 HDD NA available. Does anyone know how I can check the car to see what version is loaded, or do I have to run to the dealer?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default not sure but

I believe the CD is in a DVD reader in the rear left corner of the trunk. Need to remove a cover I think.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

He has the hard drive navigation system. There is not a DVD drive for navigation system in 2012 xf. If it was then just pull out the DVD and look at the print on DVD. For the hard drive you have to go into the system using the screen.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 PM

Yes, no DVD in the 2012. I figured that I could get to it via the screen but haven't been able to find any screen that provides the information. I also tried the "secret screens" but the "touch the top of the Menu screen for a few seconds" doesn't seem to work either. Anyone else got any idea what works on the 2012 model?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 PM

Found how to access one of the maintenance menus from the touch screen. Lots of info but no map version. Dealer also doesn't know how to access the loaded map version so it'll have to be a call to jaguar I suppose.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Figured it out. Thanks

Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

How about sharing?

The following users liked this post:
blaydes99 (02-04-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM

After much hunting (dealer was useless!) I got a response from Jaguar USA.

Apparently there is a an Aftersales Marketing Bulletin AM13-02 USA covering the maps in 2010 through 2012 XJ and 2012 XF. As best I can tell, the cars don't always have the latest maps. This is an excerpt from the bulletin:

should I do with my old 2012 version of the Map Update USB Drive?

• Please dispose of any USB drive that has the following information on printed on its label:

JAGUAR GEN2.1 HDD NORTH AMERICA 2012 AW9310E898AA T1000-19100

IMPORTANT: Activation codes generated by the Online Dealer Order Center and through NAVTEQ Maps customer service will only work with the North America 2013 version of the USB Drives.

Which Jaguar vehicles can I update with the current 2013 version of the Map Update USB drive?

• XJ: 2010-2012MY

• XF: 2012MY

How do I check the map version of my customer’s Gen2.1 Navigation System?

• First, select, ‘Navigation’, from the ‘Home Menu’ screen.

• Next, choose ‘Nav Menu’ followed by ‘Destination Entry’.

• Then, press and hold the colon at the end of ‘Destination Entry:’ that is displayed in the header bar.

• Once the Diagnostic Screen is displayed; Select ‘Parts Information’.

• Finally, locate the map version number shown at the bottom in the ‘V XX.XX.XX’ format. The middle two digits signify the map version year.

• If the customer's vehicle does not have a ‘12’ in the middle two digits, they are an eligible candidate for a map update.

So now you know how to check the version of the map in a 2012 XF (and a few other things) and you might be eligible for a free map upgrade. Mine goes in next Monday.

The following 4 users liked this post by TXFireblade:
blaydes99 (02-05-2013), karamayoko (10-19-2022), KingFala (08-10-2014), tommyd (02-14-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

This is great info! Can you possibly post the bulletin?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Sorry, I never got a copy. I got the bulletin number from Jaguar and then gave it to the dealership and they were able to track it down. They only sent me an excerpt so I would know how to check my car. Your dealer may be able to help with a copy or maybe one of the techs on the site.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an email from someone (Jaguar USA?) last November telling me a map update was available. I checked some more and saw the price for a hard drive update was, are you ready?, $279. Dealer's service consultant just shrugged his shoulders when I asked about the price. BTW maps are by NAVTEQ. Go to navigation.com/jaguar. The XF hard drive update is Gen 2.1 2013 HDD NA. I believe NAVTEQ is a Nokia subsidiary. I'm still gobsmacked at the price. Set by Jaguar I'm told.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a bargain to me. I wanted to update the DVD driven GPS in my older XJ and it was $600 from Navtec. The '12+ GPS on the XF is loaded from a USB thumb drive from Navtec.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Problem UPDATE MAP Jaguar XJ 2.1 HDD

Hi there.
I bought the Jaguar XJ 2012 from the U.S.
I live in Europe.
I bought the original map from the original dealer jaguar and online code.
Unfortunately, the dealer does not know how to upload a map of europe ... :-)
Can you help me with my problem?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Map Update for XF

Bartie,

The website navigation.com/jaguar gives you a prompt for North America or Europe. That should get you there. I have not tested this, though. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 PM

So my attempt at getting an up to date map failed miserably this week. I took the car to the dealership but was told I would be charged for the update. I declined their offer for $300 plus bill and left. I then contacted Jaguar USA again to try and get a definative answer to the question "is my car eligible for the new map and will it be free of charge". Well I wait a couple of days and Jaguar calls back. The conversation goes something like this:

Jaguar - The car is not eligible for a map upgrade.
Me - Why?
Jaguar - The dealer said so.
Me - Did you look at the bulletin.
Jaguar - No.
Me - Did you check anything else?
Jaguar - Nothing comes up on our system as being applicable to your car so nothing is available.

At that point I read the part of the bulletin I have to the Jaguar representative and then emailed it to her. She is now (hopefully) going to go and find, and actually read the whole bulletin and see if it applies.

What I find amazing is that no one seems to care at all. Jaguar thinks it's perfectly acceptable to sell a brand new car with an 18 month old map loaded, and then to charge a customer another $300 2 weeks after they bought the car just to bring it up to the standard it should have been at when it was sold.

I'm due a call back tomorrow so we'll see what develops. If anyone out there happens to work at a dealer, or has access to Jaguar documentation, I'd love a copy of the whole bulletin (AM 13-02 USA) just so I can see what it actually covers for myself.

Last edited by TXFireblade; 02-16-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

If the dealer told you that the vehicle contained the most recent version of maps when you bought it and then you find out that it isn't they are responsible for updating the maps to the most recent version. Otherwise, they misrepresented the sale and you can seek remedy in small claims court. To your comment about Jaguar USA. I totally agree. This is a high end luxury car and there should be no question based on the After Sales Marketing Bulletin that you are entitled to a free upgrade.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
So my attempt at getting an up to date map failed miserably this week. I took the car to the dealership but was told I would be charged for the update. I declined their offer for $300 plus bill and left. I then contacted Jaguar USA again to try and get a definative answer to the question "is my car eligible for the new map and will it be free of charge". Well I wait a couple of days and Jaguar calls back. The conversation goes something like this:

Jaguar - The car is not eligible for a map upgrade.
Me - Why?
Jaguar - The dealer said so.
Me - Did you look at the bulletin.
Jaguar - No.
Me - Did you check anything else?
Jaguar - Nothing comes up on our system as being applicable to your car so nothing is available.

At that point I read the part of the bulletin I have to the Jaguar representative and then emailed it to her. She is now (hopefully) going to go and find, and actually read the whole bulletin and see if it applies.

What I find amazing is that no one seems to care at all. Jaguar thinks it's perfectly acceptable to sell a brand new car with an 18 month old map loaded, and then to charge a customer another $300 2 weeks after they bought the car just to bring it up to the standard it should have been at when it was sold.

I'm due a call back tomorrow so we'll see what develops. If anyone out there happens to work at a dealer, or has access to Jaguar documentation, I'd love a copy of the whole bulletin (AM 13-02 USA) just so I can see what it actually covers for myself.

Last edited by xjrguy; 03-06-2013 at 08:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by xjrguy:
hlgeorge (02-20-2013), tommyd (02-21-2013), TXFireblade (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 AM

Thanks very much for the bulletin, it's very much appreciated. I'm still working through the issue with Jaguar USA although it's painful. This week's episode started out with the Jaguar representative telling me they would see what they could do to help me out. She was acting like they were doing me a favor .

Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 PM

So the saga continues. I just heard back from Jaguar USA and apparently after exhaustive checking, my model year 2012 should have come programmed with a 2011 map. It would appear the bulletin has no authority, it's all down to the VIN #.

Truly amazed!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
So the saga continues. I just heard back from Jaguar USA and apparently after exhaustive checking, my model year 2012 should have come programmed with a 2011 map. It would appear the bulletin has no authority, it's all down to the VIN #.

Truly amazed!
What are the middle two digits in the map version that is installed in your car that signify the map version year? If what they are telling you is true then it should be 11. I have a MY2012.5 and the middle two digits are '10' so does that mean I have the 2010 map version? My vin is 32,XXX.

Quick Reply: How to tell what map version I have