XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Sound system distortion (B&W 440W)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sound system distortion (B&W 440W)

Hi all
Im having a bit of a problem with my sound system in my xf. my car came with (Bowers and Wilkins 440W Surround) which has 14 speakers in total.

The b&w is an awesome sound system but I have issues when i switch it to dolby pro ii in the settings i get a distorted noise from center channel when the volume is in low-mid range. mostly vocal distortion. as if the sound is not clear at all. i can tell that the 1 speaker in the center dash position is being distorted for some reason.

So my solution to this problem is:
1) Bring up the volume, make the music louder from mid-high so the distortion goes away.
2) Change settings to Stereo mode or sometimes 3 Chanel so I can play music in low-mid range volume setting without any distortion.

This frustrates me since B&W have great sound system but then having problems like this is just terrible. Does any audio experts here had this problem and know how to fix it? So i can listen to my music with DOLBY Pro II setting. its a lot more nicer when you get to have all 14 speakers work together to give you clarity of sound, depth of field, sound dispersion and some solid bass.

I also have another issue with specifically Aux mode- When i switch it to AUX mode and with or without connecting my aux cable, there is a weird noise deep underneath playing in "a loop kind of sound" but again when i bring the volume loud it goes away. this "loop kind of sound" isn't there in other settings (usb/ipod/cd) but only happens in aux. i tried every option possible but was never able to get it out. do u guys think its worth it to take to dealer and have there say?

Thanks

Old 05-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '10 XF SC with the B&W system and I experience the same noise when I choose the AUX setting and there is no ipod or phone connected to the aux cable. If I recall, this is a known issue with no solution.

As far as your issue with the distortion on the center channel, you could potentially have either a blown speaker in the center channel or an issue with the amp. These are really just guesses on my part. I believe it's a 4 inch midrange speaker in the center of the dash.

I've got distortion in my right rear 4" speaker on the decklid so they could be a weak point in the system. I haven't been able to find a replacement speaker from B&W on their website nor on Ebay. I may call the dealer next.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

I suffered a blown center speaker when I first bought the car and likely drove the system louder than the previous owner. Budget for a replacement center grill as I've found it's almost impossible to remove the one that was installed at the factory without breaking them, but you may have more luck.

I can't find the speakers listed online now but I'm sure that the replacement cost for the center speaker was reasonable, around $50 if I remember right.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi just priced the center speaker B&W from my dealer at $140. Please send me info on your sources for this speaker. Mine is blown too. Thx!!

Old 07-08-2017, 03:53 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by KILMAL
Hi just priced the center speaker B&W from my dealer at $140. Please send me info on your sources for this speaker. Mine is blown too. Thx!!
Here is WERS number 8X23-18808-BA