Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XJ X300 / XJR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XJ X300 / XJR 1995-1997

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Default Passing gear

Is there any adjustment in the throttle linkage? My 96 xj6 doesn't seem to kick down one gear when going up a hill or trying to pass. thanks for the help
Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Untitled

Being USA??, I will assume a 4ltr???, so a 4HP24 transmission??.

This is a full electronic transmission, meaning NO kickdown cable, as with the 3.2ltr models, so it will be an electrical issue I reckon. I am not sure if this signal comes from the TPS (throttle position sensor), as it does with the preceding XJ40??, but that may be a first looking point.

How long since the trans fluid was changed????. Old/stale fluid reeks havoc with any automatic.

Others will come online sooner or later with more suggestions.
'01 S Type 3ltr SE Silver (hers), '01 S Type 3l SE, Black (mine).

Some of the departed:
MK7, when I was 19. S Type 3.4. MK10 3.8. S2 XJ6 (2). S2 Daimler 4.2. S2 XJ12 EFI. Daimler 250. XJ40 3.6. S3 4.2. XJ-S HE. X300 3.2 (still got this one).

Jaguars only since 1968, have I missed something??.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,517 Posts

A full-throttle passing gear or kickdown is accomplished by the "buton" on the floor under the throttle pedal. Yours might have broken wires, corroded contacts...?

If you're talking about a part-throttle downshift I'm not sure where to look for a problem but, as mentioned, it would be an electrical function based on road speed, engine load, and throttle position.

Cheers
DD
1988 Ser III VDP V12
Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Photobucket

If you have traction control, here is the adjustment procedure for the throttle cables. If no tracs, just ignore the second cable in the procedure.

Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf X300 Tracs Adjustment.pdf (27.5 KB, 139 views)

'95 XJR
'97 XK8 Conv. [Sold, and missing it!]
Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post
If you have traction control, here is the adjustment procedure for the throttle cables. If no tracs, just ignore the second cable in the procedure.

Cheers,
I'd like to see the pdf but can't open it - maybe my software. Is it on the JDHT cd?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:26 AM

straight6 guy ... Search on Google for a .pdf reader suitable for your Operating System.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Default Need a little help to understand "part throttle downshift"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
A full-throttle passing gear or kickdown is accomplished by the "buton" on the floor under the throttle pedal. Yours might have broken wires, corroded contacts...?

If you're talking about a part-throttle downshift I'm not sure where to look for a problem but, as mentioned, it would be an electrical function based on road speed, engine load, and throttle position.

Cheers
DD
When I had my potentiometer/tps set by the local jag shop the mechanic told me that the the kickdown was set at 65%. I believe that what was meant was that "part throttle downshift" was set at 65%. I noticed since the tps reset the car does not hit the part throttle downshift like it once did. What is the proper setting, is 65% to high?, my understanding is that my throttle would have to be at 65% for the part throttle downshift to happen. Please expain.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Tags
cable, changed, control, forum, gear, gearing, jaguar, passing, sensor, throttle, tps, traction, xj40, xj6, xj8