XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Are you in it for the long haul?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

The diminishing value of luxury cars in today's market is going to be a negligible factor for you since, in addition to purchasing a used Jaguar (good deal in this market) you also have to sell/trade your Mercedes S Class (which has also dropped in value). The two should effectively cancel one another out. From your original post, I'm assuming you've only had the Mercedes for about 1 1/2 years; is there ANY equity in it to apply toward the purchase price of the replacement vehicle? I fully understand the need for another car but I'm concerned that the financial side of it doesn't appear healthy from any angle; but I also understand that you have to do what you have to do when health issues come into play. Best wishes on whatever you decide.

Dwayne

Old 12-14-2016, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Britcars, I have heard that the SUV/crossover segment is the fastest growing for sales. I just didn't think it would be enough to affect the luxury market greatly. The F-Pace looks like a great car for this segment as well. I do plan on driving one. My wife likes the idea of sitting a little higher, the seats are often easier to get in and out of, coupled with the visual advantage.

Dga57, the depreciation certainly is a double edged sword. Currently I owe about $6,500 on my S Class. According to KBB my trade is valued between $12,500 and $15,300. This is of course, if the dealer is going to offer me trade value. I have heard horror stories from people coming back from the dealer. Plus, honestly if my car does need a new front differential I will notify the dealer of such. The dealer probably won't care because he will more than likely sell it at an auction anyway. If indeed my car needs the front differential I will be upside down in my car. I have a hard time bringing myself to terms to sell the car out right. I don't wish to pass on these problems to others. So at best, trading in my S Class will save me about $100 a month in payments. For that small sum of money I may just keep it and run it until it is toast. In the mean time I will purchase a newer more reliable car and drive the Benz to keep the miles off the new one.

Its not the best plan, but it is a fluid plan Meaning it is constantly changing. I'm just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can in an attempt to make the best of my current situation.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

For well under $40k why don't you get a MY2013+ Lexus RX450h, RX350 or LS460? It has luxury, comfort AND reliability even at high mileage...something that neither a Jag nor a Benz could match.

Forget Genesis, the Korean depreciation will kill you.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:14 PM

Wolfy, thanks, I am planning to try a lexus. I spent quite a bit of time on a couple of lexus forums and they seem to have the same quality issues everyone else has. I am heading to Vegas and L.A. next week and will try some of these different cars. It will really come down to the seats. I'm hoping we can find some options that will work for us. Thanks again for your advice!

Old 12-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

I have back pains and these 2 products resolve the seat problem for me, in any car --

http://a.co/dbm6ylk
http://a.co/3aDEoT5

Have a great trip. Let me know if you need restaurant or sightseeing recommendations in L.A.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:35 PM

Wolfy, thanks again! I ordered the neck pillow you linked to. The head rest is the number one concern for my wife. So thanks so much for this. Not to hi-jack my own thread, but... Yes! I would love some suggestions on sights to see and good restaurants. I have never been to L.A. before(first time to California) and will be in town for 2 maybe 3 days. This is great! Thank you!

Old 12-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by underdog01
Yes! I would love some suggestions on sights to see and good restaurants. I have never been to L.A. before(first time to California) and will be in town for 2 maybe 3 days. This is great! Thank you!
I'll PM you.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought I would add a couple comments:

I just traded in my 2014 Hyundai Equus (now called a Genesis G90) which I had bought new and run it up to 91,000 miles. It was a wonderful and comfortable car but did start to exhibit some early indications of "problems ahead". That said - it is without equal in regards to equipment and comfort for the money - and the Hyundai warranty is great (but note that it is only for the original owner and really just to 60,000 miles with the driveline extended to 100,000).

So while I do "sing the praises" of Genesis and fully believe they are a brand to be strongly considered - I did not buy another one.

Rather - I traded it in for a 2013 XJ Supercharged that only has 13,000 miles on the clock.

Here is the car I bought:

http://www.mercedesofpalmsprings.com...wa1ge8dmv45815

So far I am very happy with that decision and see the Jaguar as being a class up in many ways vs. Genesis.

I also put a lot of miles on my daily driver (the XJ will be that car for us) so we will see how it goes.

Last edited by Ceckman; 01-08-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Only fly in the ointment is the leaper on the bonnet; otherwise, lovely car!

The Jag will probably run a bit rougher than the Genesis/Equus, but look a lot better

Old 01-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree the leaper will be removed.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Very nice! Enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
Ceckman (01-08-2017)