XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR - Source of clunk appears to be the Arnott's Air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
That's a pretty unique way of attempting to have me say something I never said.
Certainly not my intent. Simply asking if there's a conclusion to be drawn from your comment that Bilstein is only producing "Comfort" air springs going forward.

It's an important consideration for those of us with Sport suspensions who are considering replacing a failed unit.

Regards,
Odysseus

Old 01-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Default Another Air Spring Source

If you're looking for a front "Sport" suspension air spring, here's a rebuilt for $650 + core: Jaguar REBUILT AIR SHOCK FRONT SUSPENSION - C2C41352-REB

If you're looking for a NEW OEM front shock for SPORT OR COMFORT SUSPENSION, here's one for $599 (Guessing these are the new Bilsteins with the Comfort bladder?): Jaguar NEW AIR SHOCK FRONT SUSPENSION - C2C41347-NEW

Regards,
Odysseus

Old 01-21-2016, 06:41 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by odisyus
Certainly not my intent. Simply asking if there's a conclusion to be drawn from your comment that Bilstein is only producing "Comfort" air springs going forward.

It's an important consideration for those of us with Sport suspensions who are considering replacing a failed unit.

Regards,
Odysseus
There may be a confusion possibly. Bilstein B4 line is a replacement series of air modules, not bearing Jaguar part numbers. Those (NOS) are found through the dealer network. I doubt Bilstein has made a run of these (for Jaguar) in years, unless Jaguar asked to tool them up and create new stock. The Bilstein B4 part number 44-069483 for front, 44-069506 for rear.

UNRIVALED. The BILSTEIN B4 air suspension module

Last edited by Box; 01-21-2016 at 06:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
paydase (11-12-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Box
Veteran Member

If you're looking for a front "Sport" suspension air spring, here's a rebuilt for $650 + core: Jaguar REBUILT AIR SHOCK FRONT SUSPENSION - C2C41352-REB

If you're looking for a NEW OEM front shock for SPORT OR COMFORT SUSPENSION, here's one for $599 (Guessing these are the new Bilsteins with the Comfort bladder?): Jaguar NEW AIR SHOCK FRONT SUSPENSION - C2C41347-NEW

Regards,
Odysseus
C2C41347 Sedan;Comfort Suspension;To Vin G35210
New Aftermarket Part

It pays to read the fine print. I suspect these are Arnott. If it is Bilstein B4's it's a heck of a deal.

Last edited by Box; 01-21-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

from what I have been told there is only one strut the amount of air pressure in the blatter determines the rifidity. As for Arnott, they are having a pair if Bilstein struts rebuilt but testing them to make sure they don't clunk before and after the rebuild and replacing mine. This way they guarrentee that I will not have to go through this again. Cost me only the the prepay of the parts to insure I return the defective ones and they will credit me once they get the defective ones back in their possession.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
There may be a confusion possibly. Bilstein B4 line is a replacement series of air modules, not bearing Jaguar part numbers. Those (NOS) are found through the dealer network. I doubt Bilstein has made a run of these (for Jaguar) in years, unless Jaguar asked to tool them up and create new stock. The Bilstein B4 part number 44-069483 for front, 44-069506 for rear.

UNRIVALED. The BILSTEIN B4 air suspension module
I think you're right. It's no different than with regular struts. Monroe has a series called Sensatrac, and they make different designs to fit different cars, but they are all labeled Sensatrac, just as with Bilsteins B4 line. Obviously they only make one design that fit front and rear, but if that's all that is available and you want new struts and to retain CATS, this is the only game in town.

As with air determining stiffness mentioned in another post, that's not true. It's the thickness of the bag itself retaining the air. The only thing adding air will do is raise the car. The air in conjunction with the bag material and thickness sets the "spring rate", but adding more air will affect ride height well before it affects stiffness of ride unless you are close to the suspension's full extension, which the car should never be at.

I would add that CATS settings could be different between sport and comfort suspension, but I doubt it. Even if it is, as this whole thread is about, Jaguar differentiates between comfort and sport parts.

Last edited by Torrid; 01-21-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Torrid
I think you're right. It's no different than with regular struts. Monroe has a series called Sensatrac, and they make different designs to fit different cars, but they are all labeled Sensatrac, just as with Bilsteins B4 line. Obviously they only make one design that fit front and rear, but if that's all that is available and you want new struts and to retain CATS, this is the only game in town.

As with air determining stiffness mentioned in another post, that's not true. It's the thickness of the bag itself retaining the air. The only thing adding air will do is raise the car. The air in conjunction with the bag material and thickness sets the "spring rate", but adding more air will affect ride height well before it affects stiffness of ride unless you are close to the suspension's full extension, which the car should never be at.

I would add that CATS settings could be different between sport and comfort suspension, but I doubt it. Even if it is, as this whole thread is about, Jaguar differentiates between comfort and sport parts.
As I have said in other threads, and in an effort for accuracy, Sport bladders are stiffer by reason of their volume, not wall thickness.

Jaguar Training Publication TNP04 page 7-16;

Air Spring and Damper

Vehicle attitude is controlled by operation of four Bilstein air spring and damper units via the use of various operating modes.

There are two derivatives of the air spring:
• Comfort - Higher volume = softer
• Sport - Lower volume = stiffer

Old 01-21-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Box
C2C41347 Sedan;Comfort Suspension;To Vin G35210
New Aftermarket Part

It pays to read the fine print. I suspect these are Arnott. If it is Bilstein B4's it's a heck of a deal.
Yes it does, except this is on the Jagbits site and it - confusingly - says Part #: C2C41347 - NEW OEM Part in one place and Aftermarket in another: Jaguar Parts - Jaguar Front Shocks and Related parts

I'm going to call them today.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

Regards,
Odysseus
I called Dan at Jagbits and left a voice mail to call me back. I specifically want to know the manufacturer for the $599 new OEM shock. If it is $599 for a B4 Bilstein, I am buying a pair comfort or not.

I'll reply back when I get more info.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

Well I just got a call back from Dan. The $599 shocks are Arnott's.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:46 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lagonia
You know, I debated the pros and cons when I purchased my XJ8 in May. The owner admitted when cold it had a little issue with the air suspension system when under freezing, and I knew right then, I would have to address this issue come this winter. I started setting aside a few hundred here and there to prepare for the inevitable. I chose not to go coils for the same reason Jaguar did, and to effectively remove eCATS wasn't something I was willing to give up, it's why I purchased the vehicle in the first place. So knowing all of this, and having set my mind to retain as much of the original design by Jaguar engineering, I feel this maintenance item is worth the cost after 13 years of service.

In the end, the ride quality is great, and at 115,000 miles on any set of shocks, Bilstein or not, you will appreciate a fresh set, especially those that have variable damping.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:54 PM

Still with the Bilsteins then, we don't actually know their effective spring rate do we? It could be an in between option like the Arnotts but with retained CATS.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Torrid
Still with the Bilsteins then, we don't actually know their effective spring rate do we? It could be an in between option like the Arnotts but with retained CATS.
They are the ones who built the OE's. They know more than anyone how to set them up. They are the "Comfort" bladder. They use the same type of axial bladder as they did when the first made them. Now, concerning valving, who knows. They do. As I said before, for me, they're worth the money. The first time you go down a stretch of highway that causes undulation at a given speed, eCATS changes front to rear damping to stop the undulation of the body. Load it with crap, and the ride height never changes.. Get on I-40 coming out of NC, or around I-25 in Co... for me, it's worth it.

Last edited by Box; 01-21-2016 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
paydase (11-12-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Box
They are the ones who built the OE's. They know more than anyone how to set them up. They are the "Comfort" bladder. They use the same type of axial bladder as they did when the first made them. Now, concerning valving, who knows. They do. As I said before, for me, they're worth the money. The first time you go down a stretch of highway that causes undulation at a given speed, eCATS changes front to rear damping to stop the undulation of the body. Load it with crap, and the ride height never changes.. Get on I-40 coming out of NC, or around I-25 in Co... for me, it's worth it.
I agree. If I had air suspension still I would go that way. Then again I had comfort suspension anyway.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Received 252 Likes on 82 Posts

Observation, over the past year or so one can find a Bilstein shock for say $800 from certain shock sellers, much less than a jaguar dealer and less than the $1,100 price they used to be. Now I wonder if the price drop was part of the effort to sell out of old inventory in readyness of launching the all new, 100 percent all new parts and materials of the new B4 Bilstein because this new shock looks to be for sell right back at the $1,100+ pricing - Ouch.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Box
They are the ones who built the OE's. They know more than anyone how to set them up. They are the "Comfort" bladder. They use the same type of axial bladder as they did when the first made them. Now, concerning valving, who knows. They do.
I called Bilstein today. I explained that I had an XJR with the Sport suspension and gave them the Jaguar part#. The gentleman told me which B4 would fit. Then I asked him to look up the replacement for the Comfort suspension air spring, giving him that part#. He gave me the same Bilstein replacement part. This was not unexpected given the postings here on the subject.

I then asked him what I should expect in terms of a ride difference between my Sport suspension and the B4s? He said there shouldn't be any difference because this is what Bilstein says will fit.

I asked him how the same B4 can ride the same as both the Sport & Comfort air springs. He said because that's what Bilstein says will fit. I thanked him and hung up. Still unsure what to do with my one faulty front air spring.

-Odysseus

Old 01-21-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lagonia
Same here. Spoke to Dan - he wasn't sure, at the time, whether they were Arnotts or not. Looks like he did some homework and also changed the "New OEM" label to "New Aftermarket".

They also have a rebuilt OEM Sport listed for $650 + $150 core deposit. A little pricey given some of the other rebuilt alternatives.

-Odysseus

Old 01-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Same here. Spoke to Dan - he wasn't sure, at the time, whether they were Arnotts or not. Looks like he did some homework and also changed the "New OEM" label to "New Aftermarket".

They also have a rebuilt OEM Sport listed for $650 + $150 core deposit. A little pricey given some of the other rebuilt alternatives.

-Odysseus
The only problem is, you'll only get a new bladder, and it will more than likely be a Goodyear cross-ply. (wrong application) Shock and valving will still have whatever mileage they may have.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

The struts are all the same, it is how the suspension is configured not the strut. Also, the XJR will have a different suspension module which controls how the car reacts not the strut. I have gone from the originals to the ONLY ones offered now and there is no ride or drive difference. The suspension control module will take care of the rest. Stop all this fretting over nothing.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by collector
I have gone from the originals to the ONLY ones offered now and there is no ride or drive difference.
So, Bilstein offers an aftermarket B4 for either Comfort or Sport suspensions - it's the same (non-Jaguar part#) B4 for both. Jaguar dealers, OTOH, list two different part numbers - one for Sport and one for Comfort. Presumably, they are two different springs.

What exactly do you mean when you say "the ONLY ones offered"?

Regards,
Odysseus

Quick Reply: 2004 XJR - Source of clunk appears to be the Arnott's Air shocks