Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Red face Air Suspension Fault

After performing the following:

Replace Front Air springs - Bilstein from Arnott
Rebuild Air Compressor - Bagpipinandy kit
Exhaustive leak check
I have viewed the air suspension guide provided on the forum.

I still have a Air Suspension Fault.

The car does NOT lose height while sitting, even for a day or so.

While replacing the left front air spring I did remove and replace the height sensor.

The car tends to sit low at the right rear corner and when the code is being set it tends to pump the left front air spring noticeably higher than usual. If I measure the ride heights, the left side is between 1/2 to 1 inch higher than the right even without the fault.

I am thinking that, either the car needs to be calibrated, the control block has a bad solenoid or a height sensor has gone bad. This is, of course, an educated guess.

I would appreciate insight and perhaps a lead to a trustworthy person that could check chassis codes and/or calibrate the ride height. I am on the north side of Houston, Texas in the Spring/Klein area.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Update

It was (to my chagrin) the right rear shock leaking air. It would not leak while sitting but ride height was a bit low. I lifted that side just as a test and whoosh, a rush of air. I am thinking that as the system lifted the car it would expose the leak; the compressor would run excessively and set a code.
I replaced the one (now three new bilsteins) and all is well. I should note that it did take a couple of days for the system to sort itself out. It would pump up the rear and then when I would open the door it would vent to the proper ride height. It does not do that any longer. Ride is great.

Best,

The following 2 users liked this post by mbwillgrubs:
AD2014 (02-20-2017), Don B (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Thank you for the feedback.
Unusual to have this strong air escape. Good to know.
And now enjoy the drive!

Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts

I would appreciate insight and perhaps a lead to a trustworthy person that could check chassis codes and/or calibrate the ride height. I am on the north side of Houston, Texas in the Spring/Klein area.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

My car has you beat. I have had an airspring start leaking every month. When the one sent Saturday returns I will have two rebuilds. And another leaking. The leaking one replaced the one sent off.
I know a good indie down off 288. Long way from Spring. He is good with XJ's. He can perform the ride height calibration.

The following users liked this post:
mbwillgrubs (03-30-2017)