XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Another SV8 faulty suspension , but not the usual symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another SV8 faulty suspension , but not the usual symptoms

Have had the car a month now - 1 time vechicle too low , after sitting in the garage a few days . Followed the manual & no problems since .(Remember i'm in the tropics so cold not an issue)
- a few times on the road & faulty suspension warning comes on.(Takes the enjoyment out of the drive & sets you thinking)

After each episode i have noticed the car sitting very high- can fit a fist between the wheel & wheelwell. Moreso the front . Most of the issues i've seen on this forum is car sitting too low.

Thinking back i've noticed that its always occured after i,ve been on a uphill slope at traffic lights or once when driving through long hilly area.

I suspect it maybe some valve not releasing after the car initially sets up for the slope & once its flat it doesnt trigger to go back down . Valve ,sensor or recalibration ??

After switching the car off for a couple of hours she runs beautifully as she seems to settle back to her normal ride height(sometimes overnight)

Will get my mechanic to check this out but should anyone have some helpful advice would be most appreciated on whether i'm barking up the wrong tree.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

I suggest that you have the codes read and see if they give you more of a clue.

I am a great fan of 'poking about' eg have look at the ballast tank in the boot and

wiggle the pipes in that area also check the connectors with soapy water.

examine also wiring for breaks corrosion etc.

Disconnect and reconnect electrical joints-look for evidence of any moisture.

Similarly with the height sensors-look for possible bent brackets or dogy wiring.

Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by meirion1:
Don B (01-19-2017), Rajabrooke (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I think you should get the fault codes read first and then maybe have the suspension height recalibrated. The tropics can be harsh on electronics and Kuala Lumpur is nearly on the equator at a low level so suffers much rain and dampness. This means the height sensors may not be working correctly, but best thing is not to spend money until the fault codes indicate where the fault may lie. The rear wheels have a height sensor each, but the fronts have a single height sensor to control both wheels.

What is the mileage of the car ?

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 01-19-2017 at 04:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Don B (01-19-2017), Rajabrooke (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

+3 on having the diagnostic trouble codes scanned, but you will have to find a Jaguar dealer or an independent shop with a system capable of reading the proprietary Jaguar Chassis (C), Body (B) and Network (U) codes, not just the generic Powertrain (P) codes that all OBDII scanners can read. Most suspension-related codes have C, B or U prefixes.

The ride height is primarily determined by the height sensor signals, so checking them for damage and cleaning their electrical connectors is a good idea as meirion1 suggests.

When the car needs to be lowered the Air Suspension Control Module (ASM) may relieve system pressure by opening the appropriate air spring valve in the valve block and also opening the exhaust vent valve on the air compressor. It is possible that either your valve block or the exhaust valve are malfunctioning.

Pease let us know what codes are stored (all of them, please, not just ones that appear to be suspension-related), and we'll try to help.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-19-2017 at 06:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rajabrooke (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 08:00 PM

Thanks guys
the car has done 57k but will be in to have all the fluids changed(want to start from scratch) & during that period will have the codes scanned. If we run into problems i know where to turn,LOL
Will come back to you on what the problems were & hope it will be beneficial to the forum

Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Just please write down all of the codes exactly as they appear, with the correct letter prefix, such as C2303, P1672, B2804, U1900, etc.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
Rajabrooke (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 09:23 PM

Will do Don
But might take awhile since Chinese New Year coming up & nothing much gets done during this holiday period.
Anyway it's an intermittent problem so will enjoy the car till she has her appointment.