XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Flat Battery - Jump Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Flat Battery - Jump Start

Well went to the car last night and it was completely dead, doors would not open, only thing that lights up on the dash is the airbag light.

Opened the boot and checked the battery and noticed a clicking noise, and in the front passenger foot well the same noise.

Also i could not close the boot....wont lock, tried with the key in and turned and without, every combination I can think of but just wont lock down.

To be safe think I will go get a charger and charge the battery up but for future reference are these cars ok to jump start?

Any ideas on the clicking and boot?

2009 XJ Portfolio

Thanks

Last edited by scotty1511; 06-20-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Scotty

This is what the handbook says:

(Dave in Gloucestershire UK)

USING JUMP LEADS
Both the booster and discharged battery should be treated with great care when using jump leads. Always use high quality leads capable of carrying the starter current of the vehicle to be started.

! WARNING:
To avoid serious injury use extreme caution when removing the booster cables as the engine will be running on the previously disabled vehicle. This means that you will be working close to components which are moving at high speed, carry high voltage, or may be hot.

Before commencing, the following precautions must be taken:

• When the battery of another vehicle is being used, ensure that the vehicles do not touch. Alternatively, remove the charged battery and place near to, not on, the vehicle with the discharged battery.

• Ensure that both vehicles have all electrical services OFF, the parking brakes applied and the transmission in the P (park) position.

• Where the jump leads are of a different colour, e.g. red and black, use red for positive (+). This aids identification and helps to avoid crossing positive (+) to negative (–). Take extra care to avoid crossing the polarity when using cables of the same colour.

Caution: If using a jump start vehicle, under no circumstances should the vehicles come into contact with each other. This could establish an earth connection, which may cause sparks and damage.

Caution: Do not run the engine of the jump start vehicle when boost starting a Jaguar vehicle. If the jump start vehicle’s engine is running and the jump leads are disconnected, damage to the Jaguar vehicle’s electrical system will result.

Note: The booster battery must be of the 12 volt type.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

I do not know what the clicking noises could be, but I do know that a lot of electrical issues arise when the battery is not working 100%. I am a firm believer of getting the battery Crank charge checked and its operating efficiency checked and if they don't come up to spec, buying a new battery.
That probably isn't going to help you much.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 741 Likes on 624 Posts

Batteries can fail suddenly and without warning.

Have it tested by an auto electrician -usually FOC.

Chances are a new battery will solve the other problems.