XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 loud whirring sound gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X300 loud whirring sound gearbox?

Hi guys

Was driving along and had a massive thump under feet like the gearbox tried coming through floor.

Now it drives fine exept it makes a very loud noise when shift into drive reverse or park just short but very loud whirring almost like a velt slipping noise or hydraulic whirring very loud.

What coul be problem here

Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by damotron
Was driving along and had a massive thump under feet like the gearbox tried coming through floor.

Now it drives fine exept it makes a very loud noise when shift into drive reverse or park just short but very loud whirring almost like a velt slipping noise or hydraulic whirring very loud.

What coul be problem here
Hello damotron,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It is great to have you with us.

My first impression is that something important has broken, like the transmission mount, an engine mount, the driveshaft/propshaft center bearing, or some other component that is allowing the driveshaft to come into contact with the exhaust heat shields or something else that is creating the noise you are hearing.

I would recommend that you have these and other components inspected as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers don

This was my first thought also thanks heaps for advice.