XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Alternator/Starter/Ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:41 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Alternator/Starter/Ignition?

So when the ignition clicked and didnt turn the engine over, we replaced the alternator since the battery was good and the alternator dropped to 11 VDC with a full load. After replacing the alternator, the system indicated 12.5 VDC.

But after sitting for several hours, the car failed to start. Hence a starter replacement after the starter didnt check out. Or so the tech said. (?)

Now, after sitting a few hours it clicked but didnt turn over. Called for a tow. Tried it again while waiting for the tow, and it started right up.

All ideas welcome.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 971 Likes on 770 Posts

Sounds like a starter, starter relay, check battery connections and ground wire from engine block to body.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

+1 on what Addicted said.... also check your ground cable on your battery to chassis. Try starting the car a couple times, then go back and touch the negative cable lead to see if its warm, if it is, its a bad cable (not common, but very possible). Be sure your terminals are clean, no corrosion whatsoever. Any corrosion down in either of your battery leads will build up inside the shielding and prevent proper power generation.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I had the same problem on my 98 xj8. Turned out to be the false bulkhead. It is in the engine compartment mounted on the module box on right side. It's where the cable from the power module and starter meet. Check for corrosion or as with mine it melted the plastic from a bad connection.

The following users liked this post:
Len Apcar (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Badda bing! Your advice was correct! After failing to start at the repair shop, my trusty mechanic who never gave up traced it to a connection form the power supply to the starter. Bad connection, melted plastic, the whole thing just as you described!

Now, I gotta wonder did I have to replace the starter after all? Alternator tested weak, but I wonder about the starter even though it was original.

Thank you!