XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

cat wouldn't start????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fuel pump replaced w/ pics

Here is the pump and strainerI went with from airtex (not OEM but it works). This is a somewhat universal pump that fits a large variety of ford vehicles along with the Jag. It came with all the extra pieces shown, all I used were the pump itself and the little wire adapter. None of the orings were big enough to use on the opening of the tank, the hose was too short and not as strong as the stock hose in the tank, the grommets were all too big to fit with the bracket needed to mount the pump in the tank, and even the hose clamps were too small to use.
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt13/jagpump/a.jpg
[/align][/align]This pic shows the differences in the pumps, thay look alot alike except for the plug.[/align]http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt13/jagpump/b.jpg[/align]
[/align][/align]It came with this adapter, which plugs into the stock link lead.(top right, white clip to black clip)[/align]http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt13/jagpump/c.jpg[/align]
[/align][/align]And here it is together with the pump ready for the bracket and to be mounted in the tank.[/align]http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt13/jagpump/d.jpg[/align]
[/align][/align] The adapter fit very nicely into the link lead and even gave me a bit more length to play with while putting it back into the tank. The extra plug may at some point be another link that could fail, but it is made to be submerged in fuel and should hold up and do its job for a long time.[/align][/align] Now that its all done I get to drive her again [/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

The following 2 users liked this post by XJ ate:
fredd60 (10-24-2012), JimmyL (10-23-2012)
Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

OK, on your recommendation I'm installing an Airtex tonight.

The car is a '98 XJ8 with 123K, towed in for a no-start after sitting all day. No previous symptoms noted by owner.

I diagnosed it by using the routine described early in this thread, it took a 10mm wrench for the battery terminal disconnection and 5 minutes (his trunk was full of junk) and no helper to turn the key. Verification of power and ground at the evaporative loss flange connector for the fuel pump took a test light and another two minutes.

Last edited by JagtechOhio; 02-14-2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I followed your instruction and put it back together. The pump works because I can here it running for those seconds and stops. The only problem that I am currently have is still no start. Could it be athe filter? it backed fired a couple times and after about an hour it started right up with a little bit of smoke. It ran smooth for about five min and then quit. I try to restart and it didn't. I pulled the duct of the T/B and open the butterfly and it was dry no evidence of fuel. I did the rail check by pushing in the valve and it had a lot of pressure. Even if there were evidence of fuel in the T/B it still didn't start. Could it be electrical, of a fuel filter? OBTW, all of my leads for the fuel pump was good. Can anyone help?

Old 10-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Default Could someone help a newby post a thread on XJR cranking but no start

I've a 98 XJR that I've owned since new. Car has 42k miles, black/black. Been a great car. However yesterday would not start, but cranked fine.

Had been moving car around in the garage for a couple of minutes getting ready to do some polishing on it. Engine stalled a couple of times and then would not start at all.

Pulled plugs on left bank (easier), they looked pretty grim with either oil or gasoline, plus quite carboned up,,likely from recent cold starts moving car around.

Shot some oil in the cylinders to boost compression, installed new Bosch platinum plugs, bolted it up, tried to start,,,cranks fine, no start.

Removed plug cover again, removed a coil pack and placed one of my used plugs into it, took a pair of vice grips to hold the plug, run a jumper wire from it to ground, cranked engine and have spark ok,,,so assume now is fuel related.

Checked fuses, moved relays around in trunk, removed relay for main pump to try to switch ECM to Supercharger pump only, still no start.

I do hear a continuous humming/buzzing noise from underhood while ignition switch is on,,,,what is this noise coming from. Heater/AC system turned off, radio off, but still this noise sounds like fuel pump running fuel thru system and back to tank. However hear nothing from trunk, nor removing gas cap indicating fuel pump activity.

Have ordered up a fuel filter and fuel pressure gauge from Amazon, won't be hear until Monday.

Am about to replace spark plugs on right bank, but have not figured how to remove the small hose that runs from air cleaner box to engine,,,some special clamp that I've not figured how to remove,,,,could someone guide me on this? Likely when told, I will say how did I not figure this out.

I am fairly car wise,,,,do all the work on my old Corvette (1959) and Chrysler 300 b(1956) but this Jaguar has me a bit perplexed.

Again, I have just registered, have a user name and password, appear logged in ok, but cannot figure how to post a new thread,,,by the way I am fairly computer literate as I spent 30 years in the industry.

So finding that I can post a reply to an existing thread, thought that someone could guide me a bit.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

First, the easy part. The humming sound is probably the cooling fan for the ECM.

The no start could very well be cylinder wash, which happens when you start the car and shut it off without letting it warm up. This is due to the rich fuel mixture of cold start washing the oil off the nikasil cylinder lining. Do a search and you will get lots of info.

Also, when you have time visit the new member area and introduce yourself.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

RJ_____________
97 XK8 86K mi

Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ran into this issue this morning. The car started up fine after sitting for two days, ran for about 8-10 seconds, coughed once then stalled, with an "engine stalled" message on the dash. Let it sit for several hours and the car will try to catch but won't start, then it just cranks and cranks. It turns properly, not like it has low compression, and it's hooked up to a charger while I'm working on it so voltage is good also.

Fuel pump runs/cycles at key on. Throttle body (a throttle motor, presumably?) hums with key on/engine off. Inconsistent hum sometimes, rising and falling. Crack the throttle just barely and it goes silent for a split second then comes back weak, louder as the throttle plate is turned from closed to WOT. Is this proper?

Swapped around the fuel pump, ecm, and all other relays. All fuses are fine (visual and continuity test). Relays are not tested but no position swap among the relays has allowed the engine to fire while another system fails. Fuel sprays at the rail, but I have not yet borrowed a fuel pressure gauge to see if it's 40 lbs.

Every relay I've seen in the car so far is an "early relay" so I may end up buying relays in bulk... are they all the same among the different fuse blocks and the ECM rack? Do any Jag techs know exactly what I should be replacing with, where, and how many? The wiring diagrams linked to on gusglikas.com and jagrepair.com do not have this information.

Next step in diagnostic is to verify fuel pressure. If the pump runs but I'm not getting pressure, I'll start at the fuel filter. If the pump runs and builds pressure, what's the next suspect? MAF,

Hoping it's not the pump... got 18 miles on a fresh fill-up of 93. Then again it seems like almost anything could be the culprit and it's only a matter of cubic dollars to find the next weakest link.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Highlander64
Just ran into this issue this morning.
Oh and I forgot to mention - '98 XJ8, 45700 miles.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention - '98 XJ8, 45700 miles.
Almost an exact re-run of our 98 XJR.

Car set for 2 weeks, stalled when backing out of garage.

Checked all relays and fuses. Car has 42k miles.

However no fuel pump noise upon turning on ignition switch.

Just received a fuel pressure gauge from Amazon.

Hear whirring from under the hood,,,always wondered what that is,,,likely throttle body or some such.

Car too is almost full of fuel.

Have checked for cylinder wash down and fouled plugs. Squirted oil in cylinders and replaced plugs,,,,still no start.

Do have spark,,,,used vice grips to a removed plug, ran a wire to ground and cranked engine.

Was going to change out the twin pumps(XJR) myself,,,then considered removing fuel and all the horror tales on the fuel line disconnect, so likely off to the local Jaguar appliance repairman for likely over a thousand bucks or so,,,,thank you Jaguar Engineers and management who let this design out the door. A simple access door,,,ala BMW and others,,,,would have helped a lot.

Off to the garage to try my new fuel pressure gauge,,,,once I figure how to remove the fittings of the wiring harnesses that blocking my access to the fuel rail schrader valve,,,,,again thank you Jaguar for making this valve inaccessible as possible,,,,and connectors that require a degree in Chinese Puzzles to decipher.

Happy to have Hagerty Insurance as they will pay to transport the car to the repair shop.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

You COULD cut a hole in the parcel tray and replace the pumps that way...

Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

First off, this is a great thread. The part about removing the fule pump without taking the tank out is nice, with the pictures. Question: what model Aitex pump is that ? I used an Airtex 3270 in my Land rover and they are good and cheap. BTW, on the Land Rover pump replacement, I screwed up initially and used regular fuel line and screw clamps on the fuel line inside the tank. A couple of days later, truck dies in parking lot with same symptoms as a bad fuel pump. Long story short, the fuel line inside the tank had blown off the connection and the pump was whirring away but not getting any fuel outside the tank. Fuel injection hose and clamps fixed this. On the LR the pump is breeze to get to though, just under the rear carpet and plate. Not so on the Jag.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

Oops, now I see it was an Airtex e2471. Good price on those too.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
First, the easy part. The humming sound is probably the cooling fan for the ECM.

The no start could very well be cylinder wash, which happens when you start the car and shut it off without letting it warm up. This is due to the rich fuel mixture of cold start washing the oil off the nikasil cylinder lining. Do a search and you will get lots of info.

Also, when you have time visit the new member area and introduce yourself.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

RJ_____________
97 XK8 86K mi
Done,,,,thank you for the pointer.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 PM

40 lbs at the rail. No injector ticking though...

Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM

40 lbs at the rail. No injector ticking though...
All diag with the scanner is KOEO obviously.

No DTCs present. (P1000 which doesn't really count for anything)

Real time data shoes Fuelsys 1 & 2 OL (being a NA single fuel pump car, is there even a circuit 2?) - normal or abnormal for KOEO test?

Scanner is a Cen-Tech 98614 CAN OBD II Code Reader/ EOBD Scanner which only partly plays nicely with Jaguar it seems... certain things give the notice 'selected mode not supported' or some such.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:03 PM

Just did the battery cables together/key on reset. No change (car cranks but does not start).

Old 01-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That is very good information,
In my case I am trying to replace the Fuel Level Sending Unit of my 2004 jaguar XJ8 and I would like some advise of where it is located, I have read that sometimes it is inside the fuel tank in some models but I am hopping mine it is not a tank out job.

When I have fuel tank the fuel gauge/needle reads full tank and then goes dead and reads empty coming right up reading full again and it does it several times till it is have tank or lower, some people in the forum advised me to replace the fuel sending unit, so far I am using my A/B trip feature to know when I have to refuel.

Thanks