XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Mirror memory problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mirror memory problem

Mirror memory function has failed on one side.

I'm in England so have a RHD car. The failed side is the driver's. All other functions work for both mirrors whichever side they are fitted to - fold out, fold in, up, down, left, right, memory (passenger). The only thing that doesn't work is memory position on whatever mirror is fitted to the driver's side.

This is as far as I got testing tonight so I can do some more tomorrow, but as all other functions work I'm tending to assume the wiring connections are ok - it would be odd for ONLY the memory wires to be faulty. Possible but right now I think unlikely, unless just one faulty wire would cause it.

Is it possible the driver's door control module is affecting just the memory function of that side? I will check the wiring between it and the mirror but in the meantime are there any other thoughts?

thanks

Old 02-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

This may not be your answer, but it can't hurt to check since your there... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oo-far-100580/
...and this one is quite informative regarding rebuilding them... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...mirrors-92084/

Old 02-18-2017, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I would suspect the module as you say, the memory module is under the drivers seat I think.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:57 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Try swapping the driver's and passenger's seat modules, they are identical except that the driver's one uses the memory interconnect, which is there but redundant in the passenger's one.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my testing today. The module I was concerned with was in the door - this controls the equipment on the door, whereas seat functions are in the module under the seat. Luckily I didn't need to get to that.
All the wires from mirror to module checked out ok, so I then thought maybe something futher on from the door was at fault and I wasn't looking forward to troubleshooting that.
There was no visible damage such as broken wire or burnt circuit board so I refitted everything but then it was even more faulty than before. This time, no mirror function at all worked and the only window that worked was the drivers, but only when the rear passenger window switch was operated.
I thought maybe I hadn't clicked a connector into place but it seemed reasonably secure. I checked everything again, still more faulty. Then I did it again and everything worked. I unplugged everything so I could fit the door card and all the trim etc but it went back to its messed up fault state. Took apart again, back together then it was fine. This includes the original problem of memory on that side - all is working as it should be.
Could this be a faulty module? I don't see how a bad connection could make the windows not work except one and only when operated from the wrong switch.