XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Noisy Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Tires

I just put new tires on my 98 XJR. I had junky Rikkens on there and they were SO noisey. Hummmmmmmm. I just put on Toyo Proxys and they are not as loud but still humm. What tires do you guys use, and are they loud? I have a 30 day trial/exchange if I don't like these.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Pirelli P4000's on XJ are quiet but past their prime. Plan to fit Michelin Primacy within a month.
Have S-types running Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport A/S + also quiet.

The following users liked this post:
Alvin Burns (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't laugh...

My Nankang AS-1 (yes AS-1) tires are so quiet it's spooky. I've put about 2000 miles on them driving the finest roads that the rust belt can offer and am completely satisfied.

I've got a thread somewhere on here about these tires. The quick summary is....If you drive like me then these tires are great. If you are hell bent for top performance then you may want to look elsewhere.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I used Michelin Primacy too . Satisfied but surprisingly I find Yokohama better in regards to rolling comfort . The car has been smoother since . However I think changing the wheels also contributed to this review .
I was using 16" wheels with Mic , 15" (factory wheels ) with Yoko

Old 05-21-2011, 03:39 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Goodyear Eagle GT's, they are noisy, but fantastic performance and ride.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sinister 1
Don't laugh...

My Nankang AS-1 (yes AS-1) tires are so quiet it's spooky. I've put about 2000 miles on them driving the finest roads that the rust belt can offer and am completely satisfied.

I've got a thread somewhere on here about these tires. The quick summary is....If you drive like me then these tires are great. If you are hell bent for top performance then you may want to look elsewhere.
Really? Wow, those tires are cheap. I paid $190 each for the Toyos (that I am liking less and less the more I drive because they are so darn loud). Don't get me wrong, they look really mean and perform very well; but I am past the performance feeling fast driving days. I rarely even kick in the supercharger! I see the Nankangs for $100 in my size. Luckilly STS has a 30 day trial because these are going back. Can you tell me more about these Nankangs? Anyone else have an opinion on them? They don't look nearly as aggressive as the Toyos, but if they are really that quiet...

Old 05-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RegentV12
I used Michelin Primacy too . Satisfied but surprisingly I find Yokohama better in regards to rolling comfort . The car has been smoother since . However I think changing the wheels also contributed to this review .
I was using 16" wheels with Mic , 15" (factory wheels ) with Yoko
Interesting. I'm not married to the Primacy...yet....but my many years of tire experience across several vehicle types indicates Michelin is the family to arrange marriages from...however...never had Yoko's...what model did you have and was the treadwear / durability reasonable? Competition for my tire-dollars is open to companies not having "Good" in their moniker...

Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by metalthrashinman
Really? Wow, those tires are cheap. I paid $190 each for the Toyos (that I am liking less and less the more I drive because they are so darn loud). Don't get me wrong, they look really mean and perform very well; but I am past the performance feeling fast driving days. I rarely even kick in the supercharger! I see the Nankangs for $100 in my size. Luckilly STS has a 30 day trial because these are going back. Can you tell me more about these Nankangs? Anyone else have an opinion on them? They don't look nearly as aggressive as the Toyos, but if they are really that quiet...
Here's my post where I describe my driving style.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...res-xj8-51734/

Also of note they also do well in the rain. Then again, if it's raining hard I slow down to around 60-65 MPH. Never once have I not felt in control of my car.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Interesting. I'm not married to the Primacy...yet....but my many years of tire experience across several vehicle types indicates Michelin is the family to arrange marriages from...however...never had Yoko's...what model did you have and was the treadwear / durability reasonable? Competition for my tire-dollars is open to companies not having "Good" in their moniker...
Yokohama's V shaped model model name escapes my memory , 4 season model tread wear is reasonable .I don't think they will outlast Dunlop though

Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Update:

I exchanged the Toyos for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Costed me an extra $480.00. I was so nervous to drive it, praying it would be quieter... Well, only a little. I am so disappointed. Seems like most of that annoying hum is comming from the rear. I am now thinking that it cannot be the tires, but...????

It is strange because I remember putting the Rikkens on the front first and using Goodyears on the back with no noise. As soon as I put the Rikkens on the back when the Goodyears were shot, I got the loud humming noise. So I blamed it on the cheap tires. Now I do not have cheap tires ($290 each), and am still humming. Michelin claims to be the quietest tire made, and I definatley like the look of them better; but the humm is killing me.

Anyone have any other suggestions as to what this noise could be? It humms and the frequency goes up and down with speed. If I shift to neutral, it still humms while gliding. Bearings? I just spent a ton of money at the Jag dealer, and they did a full inspection of the car. They even told me (which I knew) that my passenger rear doorlock motor was not working, so I would be surprised if they would miss something like that; but I am at a loss.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Noisy Tires-dsc02041.jpg  

Last edited by metalthrashinman; 06-03-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started to notice a noise in the rearend too on my XJR. It just turned 100K and I just bought it so, now I'm in for some repairs. I have to say, that my tires are terrible, even though they're brand new. They are Nexen 225-40-18. I can feel every pebble on the road. It's driving me crazy. My mechanic told me to change them to a 55 series tire. Just replaced the ball joints and now I need to replace the rack and pinion. Will it ever stop!!! And he also said that the supercharger seemed to be ready to go out by the way it's sounding. Sounds like the previous owner saved himself some major
headaches....... thanks alot.....lol It is a beautiful car though.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

If it's tires you should hear a change in tone on different road surfaces. Sorry if it is. THe girls are running them..I think the 03 has Pilot Sport a/s and the 05 Pilot Sport A/s plus...both very happy and much quieter than the mish-mash they replaced. It is what I'd term "normal" tire noise...not an objectionable hum. I DID drive an X300 when I was shopping for one with a differential problem...now that WAS an objectionable hum....and went up and down in freq. with speed, but you could tell it was unaffected by varying road surfaces.

Hope you get it sorted...

Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 PM

Hmmm... It doesn't seem to change with different road surfaces, but it has been loud for 45k miles. Wouldn't a diff issue grow worse in that time? The new tires are much better, but I was hoping for silence.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Is the noise the tires or a wheel bearing?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
Is the noise the tires or a wheel bearing?
I assume it is the tires, but could be anything. As I said earlier, it was just at the Jag dealer and I'd be surprised if they missed that...

Old 06-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I use Uniroyal tiger paw touring tires and they are very quiet and smooth

Old 06-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by danadane
Will it ever stop!!! And he also said that the supercharger seemed to be ready to go out by the way it's sounding. Sounds like the previous owner saved himself some major
headaches....... thanks alot.....lol It is a beautiful car though.

Sorry man.... hate to be a downer but probably not.... I have thought many times over the past 2 years that I have finally fixed the "last thing for awhile". But the hits keep on coming..... :-)

Fortunately I got my xj8 for free so I am still economically to the "good" (excluding the many hours of my labor of course :-) ).

Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Hankooks on my 98 xj8. Never a problem or complaint.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,170 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by danadane
I started to notice a noise in the rearend too on my XJR. It just turned 100K and I just bought it so, now I'm in for some repairs. I have to say, that my tires are terrible, even though they're brand new. They are Nexen 225-40-18. I can feel every pebble on the road. It's driving me crazy. My mechanic told me to change them to a 55 series tire.
The tire spec on your car is 255/40/18, not 225.

The 225 at the same aspect ratio means a shorter sidewall as well as rolling radius. You can go with a higher aspect ratio, or wider tire to restore those factors.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires

Thank you Plumsauce, I'll definitely take your advice on that. I just
would hate to waste the money on another set when these are basically brand new. I'm just going to have to live with them for awhile.

Quick Reply: Noisy Tires