XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 (2003) probaby kicked the bucket, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJ8 (2003) probaby kicked the bucket, what to do?

So I have a 2003 XJ8. and just after 130k miles it developed a nasty vibration which my mechanic attributes to a bad rod bearing in one of the pistons. Estimates a little over 3300 in labor to repair.

At 130k, the jag is near end of life, but having worked on the thing for it's last 60k miles I know it is worth a lot in a non-running state in parts alone. Can anyone suggest the best course of action to sell the whole car and its parts?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If you figure $3300 for labor and about $2500 giver or take for the machine work/parts for the motor, you'll have a fresh power plant and still be cheaper than buying a car with fewer miles. I guess it depends on how much you love the car. If mine were to kick over dead tomorrow, I'd rebuild it. I love my car the more I drive it.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by juliovega914
...At 130k, the jag is near end of life...
I hope mine lives much longer than that...

"I know it is worth a lot in a non-running state in parts alone" - well probably no more than one in running state (running 130K xj8 can be found well below $4k, looking at craiglist in Long Island - for less than $3k)

Anyway, a lot depends on the condition of the car. Nicely looking interior can worth a lot, but parting a car is a job in itself. You are competing with junkyards that have cars after accidents practically for free.

If everything else was in ideal condition - I would get new motor and keep the car.

It is difficult to suggest something... I for example do not have a place to keep the car for parting it, so for me it is not an option.

To answer question " the best course of action to sell the whole car and its parts" - maybe craigslist, this forum, ( neighbors? ).

Good luck!

Last edited by NJ2003XJ8; 03-20-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 971 Likes on 770 Posts

I'd source a used engine. That's your cheapest route.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
I'd source a used engine. That's your cheapest route.
Vincent has a complete engine for sale in the marketplace.
Best part, your both in NY!!,!!,

Check it out.

Problem solved!!!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Rpach10115
Vincent has a complete engine for sale in the marketplace.
Best part, your both in NY!!,!!,

Check it out.

Problem solved!!!
Unfortunately Vincent has a XJR engine which would be next to impossible to fit in a XJ8

Old 03-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Just some thoughts. 15-20 years ago I used to buy wrecked mk2 Toyota Supras and part them out or fix them up until the local supply completely dried up (what's left now are so far gone they're not worth it). One mk3, I didn't normally deal with, I wanted to keep just the 7mgte engine and the rest gone quickly. I held a wrench-fest over a weekend, invited the local owners club over and had it pretty well stripped and many of the parts sold in a matter of one afternoon. Some people came just for the education and socialization, taking apart a wreck with some supervision was a great opportunity to learn how their own car is put together. When my neighbor across the street had a catastrophic failure on his Porsche Boxster a couple of years ago, he offered it for sale whole and was disappointed in the offers he was getting. Finally when he'd sold the house and needed it out of the garage before closing, I made the suggestion and he just put out the word to the local club. The vultures had it scavenged in a few days and he made about twice what he'd been offered for the whole car, but that was a Porsche.

Don't know if we'd have the same luck with our local Jaguar clubs and x308s. But otherwise, parting out a car can take a long time. Generally I was always selling to people over the internet and having to ship parts. Finding odd-sized boxes was always a bear. And always having to go remove parts in the evening after work, set up lighting and take good pictures, carefully pack and ship them (time off work) when it wasn't exactly convenient for me.

I still have some parts in storage, but I haven't advertised in fifteen years (just slowly depleting the inventory). I just watch the wanted section of the Supra forum and if somebody wants something I've got and I've got the time to mess with it, I'll post a reply. If you've got the storage and in no hurry, that's the way to go. If its got to sit outside in your driveway in front of the house while you pick it apart, then it might not be a good idea.

Also depends what kind of condition your car is in. I made the best money on cosmetic, interior and exterior trim and crash parts. Mechanical stuff was too easy for people to source locally. Why buy a used alternator from an unknown guy on the net when you could get it with a warranty from a local parts store or get it from a local salvage and save the shipping? On one hand, if your Jaguar is cosmetically in excellent condition, then it may be worth repairing the engine. On the other hand, as an organ donor, it may help turn back the clocks on ten other Jaguars. The way I see it, there's no sin either way, but I think you'd get your best and fastest return on cosmetic and crash parts if the car in in excellent condition.

Last edited by pdupler; 03-20-2017 at 08:34 PM.