XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Fluid Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fluid Leaks

My 91' Sovereign drips a couple of drops of fluid each night on my garage floor, nothing excessive at this point.

However, after degreasing underbody to determine the source of the leaks, there are multiple tiny little one's. Both power steering hoses, the oil cooling hose. Also the power steering pump sealing area. The biggest scare is the timing chain cover lower corner.

The hoses I can handle, Timing Chain cover looked too difficult for me and my mechanic let me know this will stack up serious labor costs. I'm not too happy about this.

Again, even with all of these leaks, very little is hitting the floor for now. Most of it is being blown around and soiling the underbody over time.

Thoughts, suggestions, or just put up with it until it's bad?

JagBro

Old 02-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Try using some products made by Lucas. They have a power steering stop leak and an oil stop leak. While it may or may not work,they have very good quality products and I've had good luck with their products. Each one costs about $10 but they seem to do what they say they do. Depending on how bad your leak is,they cause the area to swell and seal the gap therefore sealing the leak. It may prolong having to replace the gaskets for quite some time.

The following 2 users liked this post by 95Leaper:
Don B (03-01-2017), Jagbro (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagbro
The biggest scare is the timing chain cover lower corner.

The hoses I can handle, Timing Chain cover looked too difficult for me and my mechanic let me know this will stack up serious labor costs. I'm not too happy about this.
Oil leaking from the lower timing chain cover could mean the front crankshaft main oil seal is leaking. It's not as difficult to replace as you and your mechanic may think. The drive belts, radiator fan shroud and crankshaft damper/harmonic balancer have to be removed to access the seal, but none of that is very hard or time consuming. The procedure is in Haynes - show that to your mechanic and see what he says.

It is also possible the oil dripping from the timing cover is coming from somewhere else, such as the large O-ring around the base of the distributor, the timing chain tensioner O-ring, or the cam cover gasket. I can't remember if a '91 has the hydraulic pump mounted on the timing cover but if so, that could be another source of a leak.

If you don't have the Haynes manual, you can download a scan of it at the link below - it's mostly complete except for a couple of chapters:

Haynes Jaguar XJ40 Automotive Repair Manual

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
Jagbro (03-02-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Used the Lucas sealer on the power steering, and STP Sealer for Timing/ Crank Cover seal. Completely sealed all of the leaks.

I know it won't last forever, but it's a relief not seeing these drops on my garage door. Eventually I will have if all properly done.

The following users liked this post:
jerry_hoback (03-11-2017)